Thread: Visual Spectrum

Default Visual Spectrum

Hi,

I know this has been discussed many time in many ways, but I'm currently working on a project and I'm trying to decide which view to apply...

Based on ordinary physics, red has the lowest energy in the visual spectrum and blue has the highest.

Based on psychology, blue is considered a cool, peaceful colour, while red is considered warm and energizing.

Based on correspondence, red is more likely to be associated with, say, fire, while blue is more likely to be associated with, say, water.

Based on biology and natural daylight, red triggers end of day and serotonin/melatonin conversion for sleep, while blue triggers start of day and an increase in serotonin.

Apart from the various beats I'm using, I wish to have the audiostrobe colour indicative of the anticipated energy level of the session.

My question, given that either way has technical merit, is, "Do you prefer red or blue to represent high energy/high beat frequency?".

If I were designing exclusively for Procyon users, life would be easy - the colours can easily be transposed, but most bicolour devices have fixed mapping.

Cheers,
    Craig

Default Re: Visual Spectrum

G'day Craig,

Colour is a tough one for me. With eyes-closed, I really do not seem to see a lot of colours (although I do see some). I mainly find that the different coloured glasses result in sharper pattern images. Personally, I find that red produces the sharpest images and blue, the bluriest (but still not too bad).

Very recently (last week) I got a pair of Laxman coloured goggles (from the AudioStrobe Store) to experiment with my Procyon and eye-opened sessions. Although it's early days, I was amazed to find that with eye-opened, the pattern sharpness vs. colour was opposite of eye-closed. That is, the Blue (or green) was best and red bluriest. Don't know why? The tri-coloured goggles do give some very nice colours/patterns with the in-built Procyon sessions but I don't know how useful they really will be for them yet.

I'm not too sure about the whole colour vs. mood/melatonin thing. For years I've used my Proteus sleep sessions with either red/green or red/blue glasses and never really noticed any difference. They both work fine and I usually just switched between them for a bit of variety.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Cheers,
    TomC

Thanks, Tom.

I suspect I'll just go with "pretty" with a bias towards red/high energy.

Cheers,
    Craig

Hi Craig,

Here is a note regarding color which I picked up from http://www.mindmodulations.com/resou...lorphotic.html

It says that research has showed that maximum drive efficiency was achieved for red light above 15 Hz, yellow at 13 Hz, green at 10.5 Hz, blue at 9 Hz
    and indigo/violet in the theta and delta range.

Thank you - good link! There was a lot of other info either side of that observation, but it seems that's true for a reasonable proportion of the population.

Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Willow View Post
    Hi Craig,

Here is a note regarding color which I picked up from http://www.mindmodulations.com/resou...lorphotic.html

It says that research has showed that maximum drive efficiency was achieved for red light above 15 Hz, yellow at 13 Hz, green at 10.5 Hz, blue at 9 Hz
    and indigo/violet in the theta and delta range.

This study appears to be done with Eyes-openned so I'm not sure if it would be the same Eye-closed, the way most of us use L&S machines?

Cheers,
    TomC

Thread Information