Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions regarding Procyon usage

1. Default questions regarding Procyon usage

Hello, I got my Procyon about 2 weeks ago and new to light & sound machine. I bought it mainly to help with my sleep problems and I'm getting good results so far. Now I would like to explore other possibilities of the device and have a few questions on how to best utilize it.

1) Do you have any advice on what would be more effective, many short sessions or one long session?
    2) How long does the effect last? Is it proportional to the length of the session? (longer session, longer lasting effect)
    3) Would the effectiveness be reduced when switching between different mind states within short period of time? If yes then how long should I wait before going to another mind state?
    4) Do you recommend using the device on a daily basis or as needed?
    5) What is the best session to use for relieving headaches?

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions later, thanks.

Default Re: questions regarding Procyon usage

Quote Originally Posted by human_factor View Post
    Hello, I got my Procyon about 2 weeks ago and new to light & sound machine. I bought it mainly to help with my sleep problems and I'm getting good results so far. Now I would like to explore other possibilities of the device and have a few questions on how to best utilize it.

1) Do you have any advice on what would be more effective, many short sessions or one long session?
    2) How long does the effect last? Is it proportional to the length of the session? (longer session, longer lasting effect)
    3) Would the effectiveness be reduced when switching between different mind states within short period of time? If yes then how long should I wait before going to another mind state?

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions later, thanks.

Man you've got a lot of questions! Imop (in my honest opinion) most of these can only really be answered by trying the Procyon out and seeing what gives you the best results. All this stuff is pretty personal and there are no magic bullets that apply to all imop.

As far as #5 headaches go, I've found that session #14 (mindspa) works great for me but I cannnot say how it will work for you. Maybe try it and if you feel worse, stop.

Good luck and have fun experimenting with your new Procyon.

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Imop (in my honest opinion)
    Thanks, Tom, but IMOP???

You probably mean IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) if you're thinking of the common acronym used on the Internet.

(Lol!)

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks, Tom, but IMOP???

You probably mean IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) if you're thinking of the common acronym used on the Internet.

(Lol!)

-Andy.
    Actually, many forums use 'imop' to mean ' in my opinion', whch is what I meant. The 'honest' is given imop!

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Actually, many forums use 'imop' to mean ' in my opinion', whch is what I meant. The 'honest' is given imop!

Cheers,
    TomC
    First time I've ever seen that one!

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...initialisms:_I

-Andy.

6. Default Re: questions regarding Procyon usage

most of these can only really be answered by trying the Procyon out and seeing what gives you the best results. All this stuff is pretty personal and there are no magic bullets that apply to all imop.
    ok, then what's working for you experienced users, if you don't mind me asking?
    I guess I want to get started in the right direction and do what's working for most people and maybe duplicate the results.
    I'm a big fan of cool and unusual electronic gadgets. Part of the fun of having a Procyon is experimenting with the unknown, if it helps me to sleep too, that's even better.

I have found longer sessions better. Allowing that it takes at least six minutes to entrain to a particular frequency, I find it important to spend long enough at the target frequency to really 'feel' it. And the only way to know you're 'feeling it' is to do it often enough to recognise the sensations.

So, I recommend lots and often - follow your body's signs. It's like any kind of workout - the more you do the more responsive and flexible you'll become.

All states are present in the brain at all times, so there's no problem switching - just pick the brainstate best suited to your next activity (or inactivity) and end on that.

Headaches respond well to low alpha and sub-delta, so if you can track down the PDF with all the session frequencies, you can use that to choose ones that look promising.

As TomC said, experiment and have fun!

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Just to throw my two cents worth in ...

It depends on what you are doing. For example, for relaxation - the longer the better; however, you can still feel refreshed after 10 minutes in a theta program. If you are really stressed, then an hour would be a really nice break. For something like concentration, the 15 minute program is good, I usually run a half hour in beta (any more and I get too antsy).

So rule of thumb, the higher the frequency, the shorter the session unless you have ADHD and then the "rules" are a bit different.

The effect usually lasts for a couple of hours however as you use the machine more and more, your brain is also learning how to access those frequencies more easily on its own and so the effects will not only last longer, you will also be able to access those states of mind without the machine. So in time, you will need to use the machine less.

It also depends on what kind of work on your brain you are doing and how deficient the desired frequencies are. "Deficient" may not be the best word ... sorry it's the only word I can think of at the moment.

It depends on what you are doing and what you want to do. If you go from a Beta based program to Theta or Delta, then you will lose the Beta effect or you will have problems getting into the Theta Delta state. It's best to do things that flow. So for example, if you are working on concentrating, you may choose a Beta/SMR based program. Then if you want to relax a bit but still stay awake and mostly alert, you can choose a program that is Alpha/SMR or Alpha low beta.

The best results are to work with your natural flow. You can download a guide book http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...07&postcount=1 and from there it's important to learn what frequencies correlate to what states of mind.

Depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it for something like improved concentration, then it should be used everyday for a few weeks and then you can back off. If you are using it for relaxation, then use as needed. If you are using it for addiction relief or depression - again, every day ... even a few times a day would be helpful.

Probably a Alpha Theta based program with the lights turned down a bit.

Keep asking. I'm sure there are plenty of others who also have the same questions.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

9. Default Re: questions regarding Procyon usage

Thanks for your reply Marisa, you seem very knowledgeable about this. Your answers explained a lot about using an AVS machine. I have a better understanding of it now. Let me ask you another question
    Would it be advisable to use the device while I'm sick with a cold or flu, will it help to speed up the recovery, if so, what sessions should I being running? Also, how easy is it to become entrained by just listening to the audio while doing light activities like watching tv, surfing the internet, playing video games?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by human_factor View Post
    Thanks for your reply Marisa, you seem very knowledgeable about this. Your answers explained a lot about using an AVS machine. I have a better understanding of it now. Let me ask you another question
    Thanks and sure, ask away.

Would it be advisable to use the device while I'm sick with a cold or flu, will it help to speed up the recovery, if so, what sessions should I being running? Also, how easy is it to become entrained by just listening to the audio while doing light activities like watching TV, surfing the internet, playing video games?
    I haven't seen any research that suggests a correlation between brain waves and immune system function so I don't think it would really make a difference. And there is a "however" coming .... However -- while using the machine may not cure your cold or flu, a session or two may be enjoyable making being sick more bearable.

I have had great results with using just the sound aspect of AVS. I often use the sound only while I work at my desk or if I'm sitting outside (during the summer) reading or relaxing and I don't want to hear the neighbors.

Light has a stronger entrainment feature than sound, however, sound can also work quite well, perhaps more so on some than others. Give it a try.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information