Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Procyon Driver Installation

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Driver Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
    Hi CraigT,

Have uninstalled the Rev. 2.2 Editor. Installed the Rev. 2.1 Editor and tryed the fix. This time it won't even open the com port

I'm getting more and more used to installing software

Charles M
    Hi Charles;

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this!

So are you selecting the Com port manually before trying to open?

Do you know how to go into the device manager to verify the Com port that the Procyon is using?

Are you using the latest driver from the support site?

Let me know these things and I'm sure we can figure this out. I'm pretty certain there's nothing wrong with your Procyon, more likely just a driver issue that we'll get to the bottom of.

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi Charles;

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this!

So are you selecting the Com port manually before trying to open?

Do you know how to go into the device manager to verify the Com port that the Procyon is using?

Are you using the latest driver from the support site?

Let me know these things and I'm sure we can figure this out. I'm pretty certain there's nothing wrong with your Procyon, more likely just a driver issue that we'll get to the bottom of.

-Andy.
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the time you are spending in these Forums. Thanks for your help on this.

Selecting the Com port manually: The editor only has one selected "Com port 3" am unable to select another.

I do not know how to go into the device manager. Unless you mean the "Serial Communication" tab in the editor.

The Silabs driver is the one that I am using. When I open it up it shows a date of 9-18-2008. But on the MindPlace support page a date of Dec 12, 2008 is noted.

Thanks Again,

Charles M

Blog Entries

Hi Charles;

Here's how to check your driver. This only works when the Procyon is plugged in and powered on.

First, go to Device Manager (Right-Click My Computer and select Manage, then select "Device Manager"

Click on "Ports (COM and LPT)". Make a note of what com port the Procyon USB port is.

If it is COM3 then that makes sense. If it is something else, then we may have a problem with the install of the driver.

As Craig mentioned, when using the editor, you need to go to the Serial Communication tab, use "Set Com Port" to select the correct port, then select "Open Com Port" BEFORE you try to do anything in the editor. If the editor connects to the port, the status light in the upper left of the editor should turn green.

Let me know what you discover.

-Andy.

Hello:

Followed the instruction for the Device Manager. What came up was: USB bridge for Mindplace Procyon(com4)

I then closed that down and went to the Editor in "Set Com Port" it showed the only avalible port to be com3. When opening the com port the status light did turn green. Then a unable to communicate with Procy... screen apeard and the status light turned red.

Charles M
    Last edited by Charles M; 02-13-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Blog Entries

Very strange. Are you able to do a screenshot of the "Set Com Port" screen?

Com 4 is definitely not selectable in that screen?

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Very strange. Are you able to do a screenshot of the "Set Com Port" screen?

Com 4 is definitely not selectable in that screen?

-Andy.

If 'after' plugging in your Procyon to your USB your device manager says, USB bridge for Mindplace Procyon(com4), then when you then open up the Procon editor and go to select a com port it should show com 4 with a dot in it.

My device driver says, USB bridge for Mindplace Procyon(com5), so when I do this I find that com 5 has been selected (although it does also show coms 1-3 as available). If I try to change this to com 1-3 I get similar error msgs.

Also, if you have a multiple USB powered (or worse unpowered) hub (the ones that allow you to hook up several USB devices to it, hooked into one of you PC's primary USB plugs you might want to try hooking the Procyon to one of your primary USB plugs, maybe the one that your multiple hub might be hooked up into. I have found that some USB hubs cause Procyon hookup problems.

Hope you manage to sort this problem out real soon. Good luck with it all.

Best cheers,
    TomC

PS I'm using Windows XP, not Vista by the way!

Hi,

Can't get a screen shot (not quiet sure how to do that).
    After selecting Set COM port the Available Ports screen apears. Inside it shows COM1 thru COM16 each covered with pink. The only one without pink is COM3. It is clear with a dot in its circle. Am unable to unselect COM3 or select any other port.

Something else regarding "USB bridge for Mindplace Procyon (COM4). I double clicked that and a Properties screen came up. Under the "General" tab for "Device status" it says: Windows cannot loadthe device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39).

Then under the "Port Settings" tab and selecting "Advanced" showed a screen "Advanced Settings for COM4" in that screen another selection "COM Port Number" in that small box it says COM4. But many other ports can be selected. The drop down screen listed COM3 (in use).

So above is the next head scratching information.
    Where do I go on this adventure from here?

Thanks
    Charles M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
    Something else regarding "USB bridge for Mindplace Procyon (COM4). I double clicked that and a Properties screen came up. Under the "General" tab for "Device status" it says: Windows cannot loadthe device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39).
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. It seems the driver did not install properly.

Go to Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you are on Vista) and uninstall the "USB Bridge for Mindplace Procyon".

Reboot your computer. DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PROCYON TO THE PC!!!

Download the driver from http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm

Make sure you get the correct driver for your Procyon by verifying the OS version when you power on your Procyon.

Install that driver and then reboot your PC.

Plug in your Procyon, let the New Hardware Wizards do their thing by selecting "Automatic" and make sure it installs successfully.

Go to the Device Manager and check to see which COM port is selected. Verify that the driver installed correctly.

Run the Editor and select that same COM port.

You should be able to open the port at this point.

Let me know how it goes.

-Andy.

Hi,

No "new hardware wizard" and still the same problem.

Blog Entries

Hmmm...

For some reason the old driver is not un-installing. I'll have to look into how to get rid of the corrupted install.

I guess you don't have another PC (or a friend's PC) that you could install the editor and driver at least to get the OS update done?

-Andy.

Thread Information