Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synchromuse 101

Default Synchromuse 101

I'm pleased to advise that Synchromuse works!!!

The existing tutorial is almost okay, but omits a couple of vital details, and the latest Editor functions slightly differently.

References to the 'Enhance' step in the tutorial can be ignored with the latest editor.

As I don't want to write a full tutorial, I will refer to the existing one, just highlighting key steps.

Preparing a Synchromuse session consists of four distinct steps.

Step One - Analysing the music track

The existing tutorial explains how to use Audacity to establish the segment timing for your session. Apart from not mentioning that you have to add a Label Track before trying to use Ctrl-B to add markers, it is all just fine.

The spreadsheet provided as a sample is good, except that some of the segment times don't match those in the sample .PRW (Procyon Session) file. This doesn't really matter - it just means the synchronisation will be a little different.

There is no necessity to use Audacity or a spreadsheet - the sole purpose of this step is to end up with a bunch of numbers, accurate to 1/10 second, that will be the segment lengths in the session you are about to design.

Save your music file as a WAV. You might also want to save the Audacity Project in case you want to work with the timing markers, etc. later on.

Step Two - Creating the Session

This step can be completed without the Procyon connected.

If you do have the Procyon connected, the first thing you MUST do after turning on the Procyon and launching the Editor is go to Serial Communication and open the port. If this step is not done first, you will be liable to all sorts of misery later on!

Next, you will create your session using the segment lengths determined in Step One. An important point about Synchromuse sessions is that you will probably want the Procyon Audio disabled in every segment, however, if you wish to overlay beats with your music, there's no reason why you shouldn't use the Procyon audio.

For now, just load the Synchromuse Tutorial sample. If the Procyon is connected, you can set the Current Segment and Run To Segment and click Run Segments to see how it sounds and looks.

You will now click Edit Session Header and note the Session ID. You can add a description if you want, but it's optional and uses Procyon storage space.

Click Make ID Raw File. You will be given a path and filename for the Session Header. It should include exactly the name you've noted as Session ID. It will have a bunch of other characters as well - not important.

Click Okay and Okay again to get right back to the Editor.

Your work on Step Two is done.

Step Three - Uploading the Session to the Procyon

You will now need the Procyon connected.

The first thing you MUST do after turning on the Procyon and launching the Editor is go to Serial Communication and open the port. If this step is not done first, you will be liable to all sorts of misery later on!

Click Session Tools/Upload Session to Procyon.

You will be asked whether to append or replace. Append. The Procyon will change to dL2 and the session will be uploaded as the next session after your current highest numbered session. This session can be played freestanding on the Procyon just like any other session, except you may have chosen not to have sound.

That is step 3.

Step Four - Attaching the header to the sound file.

Procyon and Editor not required.

The purpose of this step is simply to put the Header File created in Step 2 at the beginning of the Audio File you analysed in Step One.

The tutorial explains how to do this with Audacity. Note that the RAW file must be imported in STEREO - the Audacity default is mono, so this will need to be set.

You can use any audio editor you wish. All that matters is that the Header File be inserted at the absolute beginning of the sound file, without overwriting any of the sound file - the final length of the sound file will be ther length of the header + the length of the original sound file. This is important, as any change to the length of the sound content will affect synchronisation.

Summary of this step - Open your music WAV file. Import the correct RAW file from Step 2 in Stereo. Edit/Copy the RAW tracks. Edit/Paste into the exact beginning of the WAV tracks. Save the whole lot as WAV.

Your work here is done.

You can now play the music file as you would any other background music through the Procyon, except that you will first select dAS mode.

dAS Mode must be selected BEFORE starting to play a Synchromuse sound file. It is the first little bit that tells the Procyon to use the particular session that you have uploaded for that music. If you start playing in any other mode, you'll have to stop the music, select dAS and start again.

By the way, the sample session is quite good!

Enjoy!!!!!

Craig
    Last edited by CraigT; 01-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Synchromuse 101

Nicely done, Craig! Now Stickied.

The tutorial with sample files can be found here: Synchromuse Tutorial
    Last edited by Andy; 06-27-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: update link

3. Default Re: Synchromuse 101

Hi Craig,

a nice tutorial. Thanks.

I use Cool Edit Pro to accomplish what you have explained using Audacity. I use both depending on what I want to accomplish.

At present I am learning to create paraliminal recordings using Cool Edit Pro. These are difficult to time correctly but efficacious sessions can be created with a little effort. I'm on the lookout for a silky well-spoken english female voice to record and use on one of the channels. Cool edit also allows one to embed binaural beats in almost any sound file. Combining all of these into an audio file produces excellent results.

Really, I'm finding the sky's the limit.

I have recently purchased the Procyon and successfully installed it on both my PC and Vista laptop with little problem. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. Though I wish that Audiostrobe was capable of syncing the entire spectrum of colour capability of the Procyon. Still, I'm happy with the product and will continue to test and push it to the limit.

I'm an Australian BTW.

Thanks again.

Thank you!

Sounds as though you're having a great time and have every intention of continuing to do so

As it happens, I'm Australian too - just turns out I'm on this side of the puddle for the time being.

Cheers,
    Craig

5. Default Re: Synchromuse 101

I've been following the instructions in the tutorial and something is not working. When I save the raw file it says its been successfully saved but it is nowhere to be found. Oddly enough my saved sessions are also not in the procyon folder when I search for them through windows but they are when the editor looks there. I don't understand how the files are hidden any ideas would be great.

Blog Entries

Are you using Vista or Win7 and trying to save the file in a folder under "Program Files"?
    Annoyingly, Windows moves files stored there. Google UAC and VirtualStore for more information.

The work around is to not store files under the "Program Files" folder. Create a folder under "Documents" or somewhere easy to find.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

7. Default Re: Synchromuse 101

I just finished making a synchromuse. I made it exactly how long the tracks are that I'm using. However, when I run it the synchromuse session sync seems delayed and the session lasts about 10 seconds longer than the music. I even played the straight session in the procycon and timed it and it is still the right length. Anyone have any thoughts on why it is stretching out in the synchromuse? I tried both dL2 and DAS settings and it still runs long. It does seem slightly delayed on the start but only by a second or two. So the delay seems to build through the session. Any thoughts are appreciated.

8. Default Re: Synchromuse 101

So I win the dumba$$ of the year award. I took the shortened session and was just going to use it cuz it was close. Exported it, put it in my Ipod and ran it. Guess what. It ran about 16 seconds short. Went back to the old one exported it and put it in my Ipod. Ran perfect!!!! All this time was because some setting in audacity was set to run above normal speed. Note to future synchromuse developers. If you've created a session that should sync to certain music and it isn't. It's not the procyon is some dumba$$ setting in whatever your using to play the music.
    It does work now and its pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I hope you guys enjoy it as well. It's just a fun wild light show. If you want to experience the full effect of what I'm using it for check out my project sometime (https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/El...44842872224072).

Blog Entries

Glad you got to the root of the problem!
    From this, it seems to confirm though that the Procyon does not do anything at all with the audio track, it only responds to the short header which simply tells the Procyon which session to start playing, which it does once it reaches the end of the header.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

10. Default Re: Synchromuse 101

I made some final adjustments and cleaned it up a little. Here is the copy of the final piece. Your also going to want to add a tiny bit of time between the header and the music. So that the music starts at 1.5 seconds. Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information