Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headphone suggestions (merged)

Default Re: Noisy Neighbors, Can anyone suggest a set of headphones?

Thanks for all the extra info. It made it clear that noise-cancelling was not the right answer for my needs, so I went and explored sound-blocking options.

After making the sales guy at the local rock shop crazy by making him unpack every pair of likely headphones in the NZ$50-$400 range (not really, he was incredibly helpful when I explained exactly what I wanted), I now have a pair of AKG K518 DJ headphones.

They are a compact, closed headphone with good padding. The sound attenuation compares very favourably to a pair of inexpensive 24dB hearing protection muffs I have. Once a bit of something is playing, the outside world pretty much disappears.

They sound really nice with both ordinary music and entrainment sounds. The bass is spectacular for such compact phones.

The only downside is that they have a split cable, entering at both sides. The cable is lightweight and of generous length (which can be a good or bad thing).

Retailing at NZ$130.00, they'd probably sell at US$40-50, so I'd rate them excellent value. They include a nice little drawstring pouch and an excellent screw on, goldoid plated (it's gold color - who knows what it really is) 3.5mm to 6.5mm plug adaptor.

I still prefer open headphones when listening in a quiet location, as I feel the hearing is less forced.

Cheers,
    Craig

Check out this link, I use them and they work quite well and are non-obtrusive.

http://www.protravelgear.com/store/c...headphones.cfm

Best of luck,

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for the information on headphones. I decided on the Audio-Technica
    ATH-ANC7. This uses active noise cancelling. The batterie for that electronics is placed in the left headphone (AAA). So no external control package.

In use the unit does the job of silencing the "noisy neighbors". Will report in a few days or a week on how well (or not well) the headphones are handling all in-apartment situations.

Charles M

Hi,

The headphones are doing great. The only sugestion is turn the noise canceling on before you start your Session, or radio, mp3, etc. Have found that if it is turned on while your listening it raises the volume considerably. This does not seem to happen if it is turned on prior to turning on your audio source.

Charles M

5. Default Re: Noisy Neighbors, Can anyone suggest a set of headphones?

Inner ear headphones are good or probably the best for noisy environment, prolly more than noise cancelling headphones, but having said if they don't have an in line volume control they will be useless with a Procyon. I have a good pair of Shure's and they sound even worse than the stock headphones with the Procyon.

The optimum solution might be wearing earplugs and simply turning up the volume on your headphones!

Blog Entries

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I have both "in-ear" and noise canceling headphones. The noise canceling headphones are excellent. If I put them on - and use them, just as they are (no music etc.) they do minimize noise from lawn mower, lower bass sounds (balls bouncing on pavement) and high pitched sounds.

In ear headphones work also but only with being connected to music and the music level is what is needed to drown out the external sounds.

The in ear headphones are much less expensive than a good pair of noise canceling headphones. I think my noise-canceling headphones cost me around $300 US. They are the Bose ones.

The in-ear headphones I use are Sonys and they cost around $60.00. I do find them much more convenient and comfortable if I am using my AVS machine in bed.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information