Thread: Procyon RGB Light Show

Default Procyon RGB Light Show

Just my opinion, but I think that the RGB colour output is mainly an
    entertainment thing. I don't seem to see a lot of vivid colours with my eyes
    closed. Maybe I just have thick eyelids!

Lately I have been experimenting with my Procyon by putting a piece of white paper towel (good quality, extra absorbant!) between my glasses/eyes. I found that this diffuses the colours and, with my eyes open, I get very vivid colours (and patterns). This is probably pretty similar to the latest Mindspa and Laxman L/S RGB units.

I've found that the in-built session #20 (15 min med) is quite entertaining to watch this way, while listening to a bit of background music.

Try it and see what you think.

Cheers,
    TomC

2. Default Re: Procyon RGB Light Show

I am doing something similar with a pair of 25mm square opal glass diffusers from Edmund Optics.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productid=1671

3. Default Re: Procyon RGB Light Show

Hello TomC,

I tried the same thing as you, and like you, I get very vivid colours (and patterns). But I wonder if it can be hazardous to your view?

Default Re: Procyon RGB Light Show

karmax,

I think that as long as you don't have the brightness level too high, things are ok. However, I find that if I use this eyes-open/paper towel method for more than +15 minutes (even with a few blinks once in a while) my eyes get a bit dry and sensitive.

HermeTM,

Those professional lenses look very good. I might try ordering a couple of oversize ones and trim them down so they press-fit onto the Procyon glasses. I see on the lense description that they do cut down the intensity of the light source. Do they still give you enough brightness for a good light show? Also, do your eyes get a bit dry/sensitive after a bit of open-eye use with these lenses?

In general, I think that open-eyes are great for entertainment, but not so good for entrainment/meditation. What do you people think?

Cheers,
    TomC

5. Default Re: Procyon RGB Light Show

There is plenty of brightness with the opal glass diffusers. I usually have the control turned up about halfway with eyes open. At full brightness I find them to still be usable with eyes closed.

The 25mm (~1") squares fit nicely in place of the original diffusers with some thick double sided tape. Trimming down some larger ones might do a better job of completely filling your field of view.

I am trying for the ganzfield effect described in "Mega Brain" and some other places. I believe that was done eyes open, with halves of a ping pong ball.

I do find that I need to close my eyes for a short break every 10 or 15 minutes or so.

I've been using a piece of Mylar sheet, white finish (actually, it looks like matte Scotch Tape). I've taped it over the frame itself, therefore it rests a bit above the LED square diffuser of the goggles...

I find it diffuses the spots generated by the LEDs flashing through the square diffuser of the goggles, and provides a beautiful, larger area of diffused light & very bright output.

And behind it, between the Mylar & the "lens" holding the LEDs, I've also added Aluminum foil, shiny side facing the eyes, with a cut out to let the LED square diffuser through... it seems to recuperate some of the light that bounces back toward the LEDs, and send it back my way... I'm quite happy quite this...

PS.: BTW, I use this set up with eyes closed...
    Last edited by Ben Willow; 01-17-2009 at 12:29 PM.

It's 3mm opal acrylic for me, but only as a novelty. I like closed eyes with the glasses just as they are.

Ben - hi, and thanks for your kind words in the other thread - appreciated

Cheers,
    Craig

Thread Information