Thread: More on beeps

Default More on beeps

Just got my new Proteus. Visuals are delightful. Haven't attained enlightenment yet, but only tried four programs. I would prefer a thin wire-frame support for the LEDs, which would be more comfortable and better-fitting (especially with headphones) than the full glasses. If I need darkness, I'd rather close the curtains or wear an eyeshade. If I keep this unit, perhaps I'll make up a new set or look around for a supplier.

Meanwhile, I'm very unhappy with those beeping noises. Even with the display suppressed per recent posts, there's a noise whenever the program changes pace. Worse, at the end, the noise comes on and stays on - not a nice finish for a relaxing/meditative program. With no program running, there's also a distinct background noise (hum + static) even at moderate audio levels.

Do other people also get this? In other words, is this a defective unit or the usual behavior? If the latter, that's really disappointing. I realize that these are limited-production devices, but it doesn't take much engineering to decouple the display from the audio circuits.

I'm wondering how old this technology might be. At the same time as this, I bought a Sony MP3 player that is 1/10 the size and 40% of the price, and has enough electronics to play audio and video plus an FM tuner. And its audio is completely noise-free in all modes.

I notice that they've dropped prices on these units. Any chance a new series of more compact, higher-performance devices might be in the pipeline?

-Ctenos

Default Re: More on beeps

Quote Originally Posted by Ctenos View Post
    Just got my new Proteus. Visuals are delightful. Haven't attained enlightenment yet, but only tried four programs. I would prefer a thin wire-frame support for the LEDs, which would be more comfortable and better-fitting (especially with headphones) than the full glasses. If I need darkness, I'd rather close the curtains or wear an eyeshade. If I keep this unit, perhaps I'll make up a new set or look around for a supplier.

Meanwhile, I'm very unhappy with those beeping noises. Even with the display suppressed per recent posts, there's a noise whenever the program changes pace. Worse, at the end, the noise comes on and stays on - not a nice finish for a relaxing/meditative program. With no program running, there's also a distinct background noise (hum + static) even at moderate audio levels.

Do other people also get this? In other words, is this a defective unit or the usual behavior? If the latter, that's really disappointing. I realize that these are limited-production devices, but it doesn't take much engineering to decouple the display from the audio circuits.

I'm wondering how old this technology might be. At the same time as this, I bought a Sony MP3 player that is 1/10 the size and 40% of the price, and has enough electronics to play audio and video plus an FM tuner. And its audio is completely noise-free in all modes.

I notice that they've dropped prices on these units. Any chance a new series of more compact, higher-performance devices might be in the pipeline?

-Ctenos
    Ctenos,

I've had my Proteus unit for ~7-8 years now, so yes it's been out there for a while! The only time I have ever had 'noise' problems with it is if the batteries were a bit low. Do not use rechargables because these do it as well. Use good quality alkalines and/or use your AC adapter.

Might take at least another 4 sessions for elightenment (hee-hee)! Have fun.

Best cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ctenos View Post

This is not normal. With fresh, alkaline batteries and the display turned off, the system should be noise-free other than the sounds of the tones.

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This is not normal. With fresh, alkaline batteries and the display turned off, the system should be noise-free other than the sounds of the tones.
    Good to know. Even with fresh batteries, mine still beeps between "scenes" in the program, as well as switching the (buzzing) display back on when each journey ends. I'll return it, and try again some other time.

Amazing visuals - full color from a two-color source, and brighter with closed eyes than when looking right at the LEDs. Cortical magic! The extended afterimages are also as good as the main show.

Thanks-

Ctenos

Thread Information