Thread: New User, Flicker Vertigo question

1. Default New User, Flicker Vertigo question

Hi y'all, wondering if anyone has encountered flicker vertigo from the Kasina or similar devices? I'm just now getting into this, and tbh it's been beyond instantaneously amazing for my son, so much so that I'm still waiting for something not to be amazing. The process is ok for me, I think I've gotten my kid's alpha theta funk via osmosis lately lol. But for my husband, who is a huge tech geek nerdhead guy who loves his a/v tech stuff maybe more than life itself, whelp it's been super disappointing because he has tried one track and it made him sick and anxious for hours. He's baseline got motion sickness issues, and I actually thought that track might help him out bc the same track makes my right ear pop, but he was white knuckling through the whole thing just so as not to freak out our son in the same room, and was sick for hours after. As far as we can tell what is happening sounds like flicker vertigo (which he's never ever had before), and I'm not sure if it can be overcome or if it was maybe just a function of that track. Related question, I'm not sure how to figure out what brainwaves a given track conjures if not labelled. For example this one is Oceamniotic. I found it soothing, my kid is a huge fish in the water, and it puts him to sleep in minutes, so functionally I know what it does for me/him but I have no idea if it's a particular wavelength that hubs is sensitive to bc I don't know what's on that track. I feel pretty dumb for not being able to figure out how to figure that out but figured might as well ask rather than keep muddling around.

Thanks for whatever thoughts/experience you can add.

Default Re: New User, Flicker Vertigo question

What track is it?

Motion is detected in the middle ear. I will sometimes put 3D sound in a track to produce a "rocking chair" effect. I suppose too much motion can cause vertigo or motion sickness for some people. Try adjusting the volume and see if that helps. Or listen to something else or nothing at all. The lights stimulate a larger portion of the brain than the sound and will be all you need for entrainment.

3. Default Re: New User, Flicker Vertigo question

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's Oceamniotic that made him sick, but based on how he reacted it's probably the flickering lights (hence, "flicker vertigo") rather than the sounds that he reacted to. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the rate of lights on that track is. Flicker vertigo is a reaction to flickering lights that's short of seizure. It's apparently fairly uncommon and not well documented. It's maybe sometimes associated with a particular rate, and he's not had any generalized reaction to strobing lights before. We can certainly try sounds-only to double check the lights vs sounds hypothesis but I think you're right that lights are most of the point of the process. We could check lights-only, but I'd rather check with a totally different rate, and I don't know what track would be a different rate than Oceamniotic. There's a time delay in recovery so checking several different flicker rates in one sitting isn't feasible.

Default Re: New User, Flicker Vertigo question

Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's Oceamniotic that made him sick, but based on how he reacted it's probably the flickering lights (hence, "flicker vertigo") rather than the sounds that he reacted to. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the rate of lights on that track is. Flicker vertigo is a reaction to flickering lights that's short of seizure. It's apparently fairly uncommon and not well documented. It's maybe sometimes associated with a particular rate, and he's not had any generalized reaction to strobing lights before. We can certainly try sounds-only to double check the lights vs sounds hypothesis but I think you're right that lights are most of the point of the process. We could check lights-only, but I'd rather check with a totally different rate, and I don't know what track would be a different rate than Oceamniotic. There's a time delay in recovery so checking several different flicker rates in one sitting isn't feasible.
    Hold the center button down on the Kasina or Limina for a couple seconds. That will put it in manual mode where you can set flicker rate, wave depth , color set and tones. Maybe take a look at the lights during Oceamniotic when the problem occurs to try to match the frequency by eye. Hold the center button down again to exit manual mode.

Thread Information