Thread: Split hemisphere entrainment questions.

Default Split hemisphere entrainment questions.

Does anyone have knowledge of entraining the left and right hemispheres to different frequencies? Is there a protocol for different effects? I've been making sessions that take my left hemisphere down to Delta and the right up to Gamma. This seems to produce an effect of timelessness, as the session is an hour long yet to me subjectively only seems like a few minutes. Is this positive or negative? Is this too great a disparity in Hz between the hemispheres?
    "Doubting not
    I give My Blood,
    So I May Enter Hall Up High,
    The Sky Belongs To Asagods,
    As Long As The Raven Flies!"
    Amon Amarth

Default Re: Split hemisphere entrainment questions.

Split hemisphere entrainment can be tricky. Both auditory and visual fields will stimulate both hemispheres, however stimulus on one side will affect the opposite brain hemisphere a split second before the other. There is research data showing that entraining to different frequencies does indeed make a difference, albeit a small one. To get a better split, it is necessary to put the flashing light to the extreme outside of the peripheral visual field. Flashing light to the extreme right will show up in the left hemisphere, and vice- versa. David Seiver patented ganzframes that focus your eyes to the front with a solid green light, and puts a flashing red light to the corners of each eye to facilitate this process.

Thank you! Does the degree of difference between the frequencies matter?
    "Doubting not
    I give My Blood,
    Amon Amarth

In my experience it does. Entrainment stimulation at a certain frequency will increase the adjacent frequencies as well, so stimulus at at 10 Hz will also increase amplitude at 9,8, 11and 12 as well. Since both hemispheres are receiving stimulation from each eye/ ear, keeping the frequency range close will be more effective. Large disparities between frequencies will likely entrain both hemispheres to your most dominant frequency you brain exhibits at the time. Likely what is happening with your delta/ gamma session is that you are entrainning both hemispheres to both frequencies. Gamma shows up when several areas of the brain are working together on a common task like when a musician plays an instrument or when solving a complex problem, so entraining gamma is likely to increase amplitude in many different sectors of the brain. The no- time mindset you describe is common using that protocol.

As far as creating symmetry, split hemisphere entrainment seems to have a profound impact for the first couple weeks, then tapers off. Any type of AVE will promote hemispheric synchronization eventually.

Much appreciated, Joe!
    "Doubting not
    I give My Blood,
    Amon Amarth

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsnxon View Post
    Entrainment of split hemispheres might be challenging. Both auditory and visual stimulation will influence both hemispheres of the brain, however stimulation on one side will have an effect on the opposite hemisphere of the brain a millisecond before the other. According to study, entraining to various frequencies does, albeit little, make a difference. Put the flashing light as far outside of the peripheral vision field as possible to get a better split. Right-to-left flashing light will appear in the left hemisphere, and vice versa. In order to help you focus your eyes on the front with a solid green light, David Seiver invented ganzframes that also place flashing red lights in the corners of each eye.
    What he said...

Thread Information