Thread: Advice on sessions (energy, learning)

Default Advice on sessions (energy, learning)

Hi!

So far I have been chilling out with the tranquility and rejuvination sessions, which I like as I often end up on the edge of sleep, experiencing quick dream flashes / scenes / images, which I find fascinating, partly as I plan to test precognition using them.

Anyway..

I am terrible in the morning, my natural body clock means I come alive much later in the day. Which sessions would help me wake up more and feel more alert before work; should this be energy, learning, or perhaps peak performance?

Secondly, I have the attention span of a 3-year-old with oats for a brain, which makes things like reading (whether for work or leisure) genuinely difficult. Which sessions would help me out most here? Seems to be the learning ones, any in particular? Really just want to check which ones are for use beforehand (some are labelled as such in the manual), as I think some sessions are for use after study? I guess this ties in with the above query.

Many thanks!

Holographic Ghoul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice on sessions (energy, learning)

Hello HG,

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic Ghoul View Post
    Hi!

So far I have been chilling out with the tranquility and rejuvenation sessions, which I like as I often end up on the edge of sleep, experiencing quick dream flashes / scenes / images, which I find fascinating, partly as I plan to test precognition using them.
    Please do let us know what kind of results you get on your research. Scientifically speaking, it would certainly aid in the direction of proving whether something like precognition actually exists.

I am terrible in the morning, my natural body clock means I come alive much later in the day. Which sessions would help me wake up more and feel more alert before work; should this be energy, learning, or perhaps peak performance?
    Program 7 - "Attention Booster 15" is a 15 minute program that may do the trick for you. The brain needs to go into a SMR/Beta state to wake up.

Secondly, I have the attention span of a 3-year-old with oats for a brain, which makes things like reading (whether for work or leisure) genuinely difficult. Which sessions would help me out most here? Seems to be the learning ones, any in particular? Really just want to check which ones are for use beforehand (some are labeled as such in the manual), as I think some sessions are for use after study? I guess this ties in with the above query.
    Your brain needs to be in a SMR/low Beta state for concentration. So, the programs that you will find useful for this are: P 6, 7 or 8. You could try any of the Peak Performance programs - as they may give you that extra kick you need.

One thing that you can try, and it's something I do all the time and have found most helpful, is to put the machine on a SMR-based program and just use the headphones (not the lights) while I am working at my desk. This has helped me build up my ability to concentrate.

You may get good results immediately after the session that will last for a few hours and eventually, you will be able to achieve this state without the machine. It all depends on how much entrainment your brain needs to be able to get into the desired state on its own.

Please let me know what results you get. Here is a link to the section on the forum where you can download a more detailed explanation of each session: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=249

Using the machine will work - however, if you want to really get your brain in shape ... see below:

Sidebar: It's very common for us to slack off on the thinking as we get older, relying more on what we already know than on pushing our brain to learn new things. The detriment here is that our brains get lazy and we start to lose some function. You may want to design a brain work out routine for yourself that involves things like: reciting multiplication tables, counting backward by 8 from 100, reading out loud as quickly as possible, word find puzzles, memorization challenges etc.

I bought a Nintendo DS Lite and do daily practice on a few brain games that were designed for this purpose (Brain Age 1 & 2, Mind Quiz and Big Brain Academy) - these are fun ways to exercise your brain - which will increase overall function. Mental Games that comes with the ThoughtStream has some similar type of games but the Nintendo is more portable and you can bring it with you and do the games during a coffee break at work or while waiting for an appointment or sitting on the bus ... if you take the bus and so forth.

Another thing that you may want to look into is supplements that are good for the brain and concentration. There is a really good book that details the different supplements that help brain function called: "The Better Brain Book" by David Perlmutter, M.D., F.A.C.N.

M.
    Last edited by Marisa; 09-28-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Advice on sessions (energy, learning)

Thank you very much for such a detailed, interesting and useful reply, Marisa. I will respond more fully in due course (falling asleep at keyboard right now!)

Ghoul

I'm being a bit thick here and can't work out how to quote like you did with my posting, can you advise?! Thanks, H. Ghoul.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic Ghoul View Post
    I'm being a bit thick here and can't work out how to quote like you did with my posting, can you advise?! Thanks, H. Ghoul.
    Click the "quote" button below the message you are replying to.

It puts a command that is a "[" followed by the word "quote" followed by a "]" at the beginning of the quoted message and a "[" followed the word "/quote" followed by a "]" at the end of the quoted message.

Hello again!

Please do let us know what kind of results you get on your research. Scientifically speaking, it would certainly aid in the direction of proving whether something like precognition actually exists.
    I'm not expecting results but you never know! I do sense that short dream flashes have some hidden meaning at least.

Program 7 - "Attention Booster 15" is a 15 minute program that may do the trick for you. The brain needs to go into a SMR/Beta state to wake up.
    Ok, will try this, thank you.

Your brain needs to be in a SMR/low Beta state for concentration. So, the programs that you will find useful for this are: P 6, 7 or 8. You could try any of the Peak Performance programs - as they may give you that extra kick you need.
    I will try these, and am interested in the entrainment aspect, ie positive changes over time.

One thing that you can try, and it's something I do all the time and have found most helpful, is to put the machine on a SMR-based program and just use the headphones (not the lights) while I am working at my desk. This has helped me build up my ability to concentrate.
    That sounds useful for me as my concentration is so appalling. Stangely, once I "lock-in" and get into a zone, I can concentrate really well, so I can do it, it's just getting to that level I find hard.

Please let me know what results you get. Here is a link to the section on the forum where you can download a more detailed explanation of each session: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=249
    That is fab, in fact I was going to post asking if such a thing existed. Very useful.

Sidebar: It's very common for us to slack off on the thinking as we get older, relying more on what we already know than on pushing our brain to learn new things. The detriment here is that our brains get lazy and we start to lose some function. You may want to design a brain work out routine for yourself that involves things like: reciting multiplication tables, counting backward by 8 from 100, reading out loud as quickly as possible, word find puzzles, memorization challenges etc.

I've never thought about this enough, though sometimes have tried a few mental tasks for this reason. I play guitar and like to improvise partly a mental challenge. The guitar is a physical instrument, and when soloing, fingers lock into repeated patterns, which gives a certain character unique to the instument. However, many players then believe that you plateau out as a player and cannot really learn new things - this isn't true - you just have to get in the right state of mind and try!

I bought a Nintendo DS Lite
    I've seen the TV ads and didn't even think about actually getting one (probably too distracted by Nicole Kidman). Now I'm really interested!

Another thing that you may want to look into is supplements that are good for the brain and concentration. There is a really good book that details the different supplements that help brain function called: "The Better Brain Book" by David Perlmutter, M.D., F.A.C.N.
    Sounds very useful. I am about to re-read the Hutchison book which accompanied my old Mindlab, to re-familiarise with the science.

Thanks again! H. Ghoul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Music, Musicians and the Brain

Hi HG,

I'm not expecting results but you never know! I do sense that short dream flashes have some hidden meaning at least.
    They can hold meaning, though each meaning is represented by a symbolism which can only be deciphered by you and never one of those dream books.

That sounds useful for me as my concentration is so appalling. Strangely, once I "lock-in" and get into a zone, I can concentrate really well, so I can do it, it's just getting to that level I find hard.
    It will get easier.

I've never thought about this enough, though sometimes have tried a few mental tasks for this reason. I play guitar and like to improvise partly a mental challenge. The guitar is a physical instrument, and when soloing, fingers lock into repeated patterns, which gives a certain character unique to the instrument. However, many players then believe that you plateau out as a player and cannot really learn new things - this isn't true - you just have to get in the right state of mind and try!
    I read some interesting things about the brain and music ... let's see if I can find it ... looking through my notes ... hmmm found this ... not what I was looking for but it is interesting and relevant to you: "...reading or writing can be comfortably combined with listening to music, since two different hemispheres are involved - except - in musicians, who tend to use the left hemisphere for both language and music." (Mozart's Brain and The Fighter Pilot, pg 89., Richard Restak, M.D.).

Still looking ....ah ... still not what I was looking for but still related ...

"Simply listening to music you enjoy activates parts of the frontal lobes and the limbic cortex on both sides of the brain. Music you find unpleasant or disturbing on the other hand, will activate a different brain area (known as the parahippocampal gyrus) on the right side of the brain. As a result, those areas of your brain that are associated with pleasing music turn off. The more we understand about the impact of music on the brain, the more we'll see how important music is." (pg. 182)

Music has an effect on the reasoning and thinking part of the brain.

Short-term exposure to music increases the brain efficiency in solving spatial problems. pg. 182

Basically what I was looking for had to do with musicians using more of their brains than non-musicians, especially those who read music.

"Campbell cites the following studies: The College Entrance Examination Board in 1996 reported that students with experience in musical performance scored 51 points higher on the verbal part of the SAT and 39 points higher on the match section than the national average. In a study of approximately 7,500 students at a university, music majors has the highest reading scores of any students on campus. Learning a musical instrument at any age can be helpful in the development and activation of temporal lobe neurons. As the temporal lobes are activated in an effective way, they are more likely to have improved function overall." (Source: Change Your Brain; Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen, M.D., pg. 207)

Sounds very useful. I am about to re-read the Hutchison book which accompanied my old Mindlab, to re-familiarize with the science.
    Micheal was such an excellent advocate and source of information for Light and Sound Technology.

At the bottom of the page (link) is an article written by M.H. a while ago. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Reference.htm . Unfortunately M.H. met with an accident and was badly injured and has not returned to work in the industry. I read an interview with him after the accident and can post if if you are interested in reading it.

Also, just in case you haven't found it - we have a library section on the forum that has some further information on L&S Tech. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...splay.php?f=15

Of course, if you have any questions or want to discuss any of this ... this is the place.

We got a bit off subject concerning what you were saying about music and even though your unconscious takes over in playing some of the songs (muscle memory etc.), your brain is still benefiting by playing. Besides, there are always new songs to learn or write.

M.

Thread Information