Thread: Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

1. Default Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

I stumbled upon various research regarding this, such as this scientific study. I'm wondering if there is a product out there which can be used during sleep which can do what these studies do (for other such studies google the text of this thread title).

For the study I linked, under "Materials & Methods" they mention they used Acoustic Sheep Sleep Phones, SP4BM, which I see a consumer can purchase.
    I can't find any products which produce the sounds, however.

Not knowing where else to go to ask I figured I'd come here.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Regards,
    Mark

2. Default Re: Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

I finally found a little bit of information, via this review of current studies titled "The Treatment of Sleep Dysfunction in Neurodegenerative Disorders."

It mentions near the bottom "Notably, a number of companies have now developed headband devices delivering closed loop acoustic stimulation, designed for use during sleep in the home setting (e.g., Dreem2 headband, Phillips SmartSleep Deep Sleep Headband)."

I looked briefly at the Dreem2 however it doesn't seem to do the acoustic, only tracking. As for the SmartSleep, it does acoustic, however it is limited, e.g. it has an age range (under 50).

The study concludes with this remark:

"It is worth noting, however, that the cumulative effects of the long-term application of acoustic stimulation on cognition are not known: all studies evaluating cognitive outcomes have, as yet, incorporated single-night and immediate postsleep testing protocols only."

Regardless, I'd be curious to try something if it became available at an acceptable price. Maybe the technology used in the studies is not yet ready for the broader consumer market, perhaps because of price point considerations, since from what I've read the laboratory equipment used in the studies has to be quite specific to obtain results.

I was drawn to this topic via this NPR article "Deep Sleep Protects Against Alzheimer's, Growing Evidence Shows" which has a link to the study I mentioned in my first post.

I need to catch up on any recent studies which talk about the Kasina and deep sleep. I haven't been diligent about using my Kasina.

Mark

Blog Entries

Default Re: Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

Interesting stuff!
    Unfortunately, I have nothing to add to the conversation, but hopefully others will chime in. Keep up the research and post back if you find any more information!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Default Re: Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

This parallels, and may be a continuation the studies done at Northwestern University. They used very slow delta and sub-delta modulations to 'push" the amplitude of faster sleep waves. A main proponent was the use of 3D sound, which the brain puts a higher priority on, and is not dismissed as background noise. headphones such as sleepphones must be used.

5. Default Re: Phase-Locked Acoustic Stimulation

I popped in and landed here tonight. That could have been. Most interesting and intimidatingly intelligent exchanges . Maybe see

Thread Information