Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procyon sync?

1. Default Procyon sync?

Hi-

I have a CES (cranial electrostim) unit that has a sync jack that can work with Light/Sound devices. I've been told that it will work with the Proteus by splitting the goggle signal and sending it to the CES, where it slaves to the Proteus. The company that sold me the CES unit says that the Procyon won't work because the goggles connect via USB 2. Is this true? Is there any way to get a sync voltage (.7 to 12 volts @ 1k ohm) out of the Procyon, either as is or by a mod? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon sync?

PROTEUS goggles connect via stereo 3.5mm jack. (Same connector as consumer headphones), so your splitting idea should work, in theory.

Your subject (and chosen forum) relates to the Procyon but are asking about the Proteus in your message.

The Procyon has a proprietary connector (not USB2) to drive the extra lights in those goggles. Splitting the signal would be a bit of a challenge.

3. Default Re: Procyon sync?

Hi Andy,

Uh... thought I was being clear. I referred to the Proteus, but was asking about the Procyon, hence my post in this forum. The question was "Is there any way to get a sync voltage... out of the Procyon" Note the use of "Procyon" as the subject of the question. Sorry, but my first post here and getting a scold for not doing anything wrong. Oh well, you answered the question essentially, so thanks!

Blog Entries

NP, wasn't scolding, just wasn't clear on what you were asking! I guess I didn't read your message carefully enough.
    Sorry 'bout that.

Gotta slow down...

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Procyon sync?

No problem back at you. Busy admin... I understand.

A further technical question (about the Procyon, now ):

Aside from the connector issue, I am assuming that the cable is still just sending voltages to the goggles, perhaps with more leads for the extra LEDs. It's not a data stream, is it? Wouldn't think so. Does anyone know what the voltages run?

I could probably work something out for my purposes, being comfortable with gear mod's. I understand that such mod's would void my warranty.

Thanks again.

frey Guest

I am also in a similar situation Babakool, I too want to connect a CES machine to a Procyon (even have a thread about it here). I haven't found any type of plug that will fit in the Procyon yet and I do not know how Procyon communicates with the glasses. The best would be an adapter or a convert of some sorts, but it don't know if mindplace are planning on offering it so we might end up having to make them ourself. If you make any progress please share it with me.

Hi Guys,

there is definitely no way to combine the Procyon together with the Oasis CES!

Together with the Proteus it works fine, as the Proteus lightframe connects via a usual stereo connector, which supplies two different signals (one signal for the red LEDs and one signal for the green LEDs). As the Oasis input and lightframe output also uses a stereo connector and passes the stereo signal through to the lightframe (the stereo signal is simultaneously triggering the two stimulation channels of the Oasis), the compatibility between Proteus and Oasis is provided. (You couldn't use the Oasis together with a Photosonix or MindGear device though, as those machines use CG polarity. The Oasis uses CP polarity and therefore also requires a CP-Mindmachine like for example the Proteus.

The Procyon lightframe though has a completely different connector (1st problem) which provides not just two but at least 3 different signals (one for each color channel - and therefore 2nd problem). So even if you would find a way to solve the connector problem and transmit the lightframe-signal to the Oasis in order to trigger this device by the Procyon - the Oasis could still only pass on a stereo-signal to it's lightframe output. Means, that the signal for one of the three color-channels would get lost and you wouldn't have a real multicolor experience but only a bicolor-experience like with the Proteus.

Regards

Dreamflow

8. Default Re: Procyon sync?

Hey Dreamflow,

Thanks for the info. I am currently using the Neuro-Trek Digital Pro for CES, which only has one sync jack for either CG or CP hook-up. If I decide to get the Procyon and want to utilize the sync function, I'll probably just hack the cable to create a split feed to sync from. The plug issue (it's probably a custom DIN type) is not really where I'd choose to work. The whole problem is of relative unimportance, as I consider the sync option between a CES and L/S device to be only one mode of possible usage. It would be a nice one to have, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. I do have to say that none of the L/S units out on the market currently do all the things I want, but the Procyon at least has a modern data port and a software editor for it. The prospect of having to actually use a (IMO) POS Microsoft OS again (in emulation) is more of an impediment than the prospect of splicing a cable. Such is the nature of prevailing computing paradigms though. I'm just an advanced user who can't tolerate high levels of built-in nuisance and find it acceptable. The same applies for other built-in device limitations. Until I'm motivated to design and build my own complete solutions, I'll just have to make do with what's available. Thanks again for your input.

Blog Entries

I'm investigating the possibility of getting some adapters made so that you could link to a CES machine or other equipment. Obviously I'll need a minimum order to have these adapters made so please vote here if you would buy one were it to be available: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=318
    Last edited by Marisa; 08-10-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: explanation added

frey Guest

I'm investigating the possibility of getting some adapters made so that you could link to a CES machine or other equipment. Obviously I'll need a minimum order to have these adapters made so please vote here if you would buy one were it to be available: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=318
    Thank you Andy.

Hi Guys,

there is definitely no way to combine the Procyon together with the Oasis CES!

Together with the Proteus it works fine, as the Proteus lightframe connects via a usual stereo connector, which supplies two different signals (one signal for the red LEDs and one signal for the green LEDs). As the Oasis input and lightframe output also uses a stereo connector and passes the stereo signal through to the lightframe (the stereo signal is simultaneously triggering the two stimulation channels of the Oasis), the compatibility between Proteus and Oasis is provided. (You couldn?t use the Oasis together with a Photosonix or MindGear device though, as those machines use CG polarity. The Oasis uses CP polarity and therefore also requires a CP-Mindmachine like for example the Proteus.

The Procyon lightframe though has a completely different connector (1st problem) which provides not just two but at least 3 different signals (one for each color channel - and therefore 2nd problem). So even if you would find a way to solve the connector problem and transmit the lightframe-signal to the Oasis in order to trigger this device by the Procyon - the Oasis could still only pass on a stereo-signal to it?s lightframe output. Means, that the signal for one of the three color-channels would get lost and you wouldn?t have a real multicolor experience but only a bicolor-experience like with the Proteus.

Regards

Dreamflow
    Now I don't see any problems, the use would be the same as it would have been with audiostrobe, just 2 signals. The option of either bi-color and CES or tri-color without CES would have been more then enough. Or maybe there are even ways to get it all too, but I have to think more about it.

Hey Dreamflow,

Thanks for the info. I am currently using the Neuro-Trek Digital Pro for CES, which only has one sync jack for either CG or CP hook-up. If I decide to get the Procyon and want to utilize the sync function, I'll probably just hack the cable to create a split feed to sync from. The plug issue (it's probably a custom DIN type) is not really where I'd choose to work. The whole problem is of relative unimportance, as I consider the sync option between a CES and L/S device to be only one mode of possible usage. It would be a nice one to have, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. I do have to say that none of the L/S units out on the market currently do all the things I want, but the Procyon at least has a modern data port and a software editor for it. The prospect of having to actually use a (IMO) POS Microsoft OS again (in emulation) is more of an impediment than the prospect of splicing a cable. Such is the nature of prevailing computing paradigms though. I'm just an advanced user who can't tolerate high levels of built-in nuisance and find it acceptable. The same applies for other built-in device limitations. Until I'm motivated to design and build my own complete solutions, I'll just have to make do with what's available. Thanks again for your input.
    Babakool, interesting and I like the way you don't see limitations. Now that mindplace seems to be considering to make an adapter this whole issue might be obsolete, but if you still decide to make you own mod would you be so kind to take some pictures and make a short guide on how you did it.

Thread Information