Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procyon - the astral traveller?

1. Default Procyon - the astral traveller?

My interest in light and sound devices like this come from an exploration of relaxation, altered consciousness, self-hypnosis and astral travelling.

My interest in proteus/procyon is also fuelled by the compatibility with your biofeedback device, possibly enhancing its ability to explore all those areas.

However, I was curious to know if anyone is using Procyon (or Proteus) to help induce conscious astral travelling, or at least lucid dreaming.

I'm a terrible person and will always take the technological (easy) way if it's effective over the more disciplined method of exploring these things.

I'm hoping something like this could possibly act like training wheels to help me develop technique, much like some cultures used certain drugs to prep themselves and "enhance" their awareness.

Like the concept of biofeedback, astral travel being induced regularly may teach my system how to achieve it without the props - or so I hope, and the idea appeals to me more than consuming quantities of illicit drugs.

So - does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon - the astral traveller?

Hello again!

Try a search on "astral" and on "lucid". You'll find some posts regarding those subjects. Feel free to continue those threads or start your own if you didn't find the answers you were looking for.

-Andy.

Blog Entries

Hi Caleb,

However, I was curious to know if anyone is using Procyon (or Proteus) to help induce conscious astral traveling, or at least lucid dreaming.
    Yes, the L&S machines can help you achieve the state of mind/brain necessary to do this work. You want to get to the point of being almost asleep (for self-hypnosis) which is Theta or in a light sleep (for lucid dreaming). A Theta/Alpha program would be best.

I'm a terrible person and will always take the technological (easy) way if it's effective over the more disciplined method of exploring these things.
    Oh just terrible! Maybe we should punish you?

I'm hoping something like this could possibly act like training wheels to help me develop technique, much like some cultures used certain drugs to prep themselves and "enhance" their awareness.
    The machines will get you there but you still have to learn the techniques to accomplish what you desire and then it will take a bit of practice to get there.

Like the concept of biofeedback, astral travel being induced regularly may teach my system how to achieve it without the props - or so I hope, and the idea appeals to me more than consuming quantities of illicit drugs.
    The way entrainment works is that the machines will teach your mind how to achieve the desired state and with repetition, the brain will remember how to get there, therefore you will be able to go into the desired state of mind at will.

Progress will be subtle and what you may want to practice, usually a good time is while you are waiting in line or at an appointment, is picking a spot on the floor or wall and allowing yourself to go into a trance. This will become easier after using the machine for a while.

You will still have to learn the techniques for lucid dreaming etc. There are some good books out there on the subject and likely many web sites that give detailed instruction.

So - does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    It's possible to accomplish what you desire without drugs. Using drugs to accomplish this work is not a great method anyway because of the damage it can cause your brain and the effects of the drugs are difficult to control. Not to mention that these days, drugs are laced with so many noxious chemicals which are more likely to cause brain damage than brain entrainment.

As with any skill, it takes knowledge (how to do it) and skill (which comes with practice). The L&S machines are a natural way to enhance what you already possess.

Hope this helps.

M.

4. Default Re: Procyon - the astral traveller?

Hi!!! The Session 27 from the Procyon (Night Voyage 60) has worked great for me (Lucid Dreaming)

Good Luck

5. Default Re: Procyon - the astral traveller?

Thanks - I will definitely check out session 27.

Regards
    Caleb

The principle that such a mind machine exploits is how the brain entrains to sound and light stimulus. I am an electrical engineer, so permit me to give an analogy here. There is such a thing as a "phase locked loop" (PLL) which oscillates at a free-running natural frequency. When an electrical signal of a certain frequency that is harmonically related to the natural resonant frequency of the PLL is input to the PLL, the PLL will over quite a large number of periods of oscillation gradually shift its frequency and phase to track the input signal and finally "lock" onto the signal. Obviously, the brain is more complex than a PLL circuit, but S & L devices function to assist the brain to transition to and remain in a particular complex brain wave state. These brain waves as measured by EEG equipment have been correlated with a number of commonly observed states of consciousness. So, a particual state may enable a particular subjective experience. Do hiking boots climb Mt Everest by themselves? It's unreasonable to expect that they do. So the same thing applies to a mind machine - it may help one get to an interesting place, but like Mt. Everest, if the journey is worth it, expect to apply some considerable personal effort along the way.

Blog Entries

Hi Art,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for your answer. I have to admit, I understand only a portion of it so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask some questions so that I can gain a better understanding of what you are saying.

There is such a thing as a "phase locked loop" (PLL) which oscillates at a free-running natural frequency.
    Can you please explain "free-running natural frequency" to me?

When an electrical signal of a certain frequency that is harmonically related to the natural resonant frequency of the PLL is input to the PLL, the PLL will over quite a large number of periods of oscillation gradually shift its frequency and phase to track the input signal and finally "lock" onto the signal.
    Kind of like how entrainment works? The PLL synchronizes with the input signal?

Obviously, the brain is more complex than a PLL circuit, but S & L devices function to assist the brain to transition to and remain in a particular complex brain wave state.
    Ha Ha I feel so smart - this I understand. lol

These brain waves as measured by EEG equipment have been correlated with a number of commonly observed states of consciousness. So, a particual state may enable a particular subjective experience. Do hiking boots climb Mt Everest by themselves? It's unreasonable to expect that they do. So the same thing applies to a mind machine - it may help one get to an interesting place, but like Mt. Everest, if the journey is worth it, expect to apply some considerable personal effort along the way.
    Very good point!

M.

Marisa,

Free-running means that a system is producing and output without any input. What happens when we go into a sensory deprivation chamber? Our mind free runs! Natural resonant frequency is really a way of describing how, in my example to follow, a piano responds with a rich array of tones to a key strike. Physical systems vibrate in simple or complex ways. A tuning fork, for example, vibrates at a precise frequency, which may be called its natural resonant frequency (say, A440). When you strike a piano key, it vibrates, and if you press on the sustain pedal, other strings that you did not hit also vibrate sympathetically to make a richer complex of sound frequencies (think of the last powerful chord in 'A Day In The Life' by The Beatles). Apparently, the brain vibrates, at least in the sense that it produces electromagnetic signals that we can detect with our scientific instruments. The scientific basis for the S & L devices, like the Proteus or Procyon, is in the observation that the brain modulates (changes) its state sympathetically when it is stimulated with sound and light signals that are close to its natural resonant frequency. Most people do not know this. But musicians intuitively know this. I can personally report that sometimes during a performance I have entered a certain state of mind where I am as much a member of the audience as everyone else. I am just in a 'flow' and can hardly believe I am playing that well. Other times, I just can't enter the flow, and my music is mechanical and not very inspiring, despite the notes. So, it is possible that when a musician is in a flow, the music produced is a carrier wave for similar mindful effects on the audience and other performers that perhaps the Procyon can produce. Moreover, some musicians (synaesthetes) have reported seeing colors when some music is played. The field is wide open for research and exploration!
    Last edited by Art; 05-04-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added what is free-running

9. Default Re: Procyon - the astral traveller?

Yes - composers quite often exploit the effects certain frequencies have on the brain - and the combination of those (harmonisation).

I'm just reading Awakening Mind I and it's talking about the combination of offset to produce the entrainment in combination with concepts like the harmonic series as the average frequency of the left/right in a binaural beat situation.

Certain "octaves" tend to pinpoint certain areas.

Some of this is most definitely known to composers - eg the airy nature of high tinkling harp runs, the very physical nature of the very low bass - not to mention the use of rhythmic elements to produce pulses which could act similarly to the entrainment frequencies in binaural beats.

Regards
    Caleb
    Last edited by Marisa; 05-04-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Was going to change the name of the title

Blog Entries

Default Re: Natural Frequency

Hi Art,

Thank you for the explanation. I understand what you were talking about now.

Thread Information