Thread: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

1. Default Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

Hi,

Posted this in the Proteus forum and realised that Procyon is actually the latest and greatest - so my post really should be here.

I'm just looking into buying a light & sound machine (trying to work out which one I should get). Proteus offers connectivity to various audio devices - CD player, MP3 player etc... and it also offers compatibility with AudioStrobe CDs.

My question is - do you lose the special coding of AudioStrobe CDs if you convert them to MP3 (or similar) compressed format? I have a MiniDisc player and an MP3 player, but not a portable CD player unless I use my laptop.

This is just one of many potential customer questions I may ask. I'm trying to investigate as much as possible before deciding on a purchase.

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

Hi Caleb! Welcome to the forum!

Other customers have reported that they have been able to successfully use MP3s for Audiostrobe. Do a search on the forum for "Audiostrobe" and you'll probably see some posts about that very subject. For example: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ht=audiostrobe

(You'll notice I originally thought that it wouldn't work, but was proven wrong!)

-Andy.

3. Default Re: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

Excellent.

Quite a few years ago I had a light & sound device - something called a MindQuest, but it was fairly elementary and although I could see that it did have some effects, I couldn't program it with the level of sophistication that I'm reading about here and it didn't come with any included programs to help me on my way that much. We've obviously come a long way from then.

I just want to list a few questions if I can rather than start a whole new thread:

1) Other than by USB power, is there any ability to power the device through the mains rather than just batteries? I always find this a plus.

2) There are programs that should allow you to learn more easily, but can you set the device up so that you can learn while you are in a particular state and then learn either through subliminal means or by direct audio input?

Just to explain this further, I've seen CDs that have subliminal learning of languages for example, and I do actually own many regular CDs on language learning. Could I put myself into a particular state and then have a language learning CD run for my mind to "soak up"? Has it ever been a successful approach?

3) The audio input says that it is 16 bit digital. Will it actually accept analog input as well? It says its input is 3.5 so I'm imagining that simple headphone out is still an option, but I want to be sure.

4) If I were to create SynchroMuse MP3s for free download, would MindPlace host the files anywhere? I'm talking audio copyrighted to me, not rips of commercial sountracks etc...

On another level, would MindPlace be willing to enter into any agreements with people who wished to create commercial SynchroMuse CDs?

Eventually I would really like to explore SynchroMuse and perhaps compose music specifically for use with a product like Procyon. I just want to feel out what my options would be. SynchroMuse looks like a great idea to me by the way.

5) The future of Procyon. When I read the blurb for Proteus I thought that would be it. Expandable, OS updateable. And yet, here we are with Procyon. OK - there's only so much you can do with updates for one piece of hardware. But I would hope that if there is a more advanced product in the works, that it would only add to what Procyon already has and not lose any of its sophisticated features. Would this be the way MindPlace views future development of these products?

6) I live in Australia and when I go through a test run of the order process, it tells me that International Orders need to contact you. Is this entirely necessary? There's already a chart that seems to tell me what the additional charge for a single unit to Australia is - can't that be just added to the order? I hope I don't actually have to phone anyone.

7) Will it take a long time to arrive to Australia?

OK - that's all the questions I have for the moment. If I have any more I'll just add another reply.

I'm guessing at this stage that I will buy the Procyon with my next paycheck (ie start of May) unless any of these questions come with answers that particularly concern me. I don't think that will be the case though.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Excellent.

Quite a few years ago I had a light & sound device - something called a MindQuest, but it was fairly elementary and although I could see that it did have some effects, I couldn't program it with the level of sophistication that I'm reading about here and it didn't come with any included programs to help me on my way that much. We've obviously come a long way from then.

I just want to list a few questions if I can rather than start a whole new thread:

1) Other than by USB power, is there any ability to power the device through the mains rather than just batteries? I always find this a plus.
    Yes. You can use a USB Power supply. They are available for ipods, cell phones and other USB-powered devices. Check wherever you buy those kind of things.

2) There are programs that should allow you to learn more easily, but can you set the device up so that you can learn while you are in a particular state and then learn either through subliminal means or by direct audio input?

Just to explain this further, I've seen CDs that have subliminal learning of languages for example, and I do actually own many regular CDs on language learning. Could I put myself into a particular state and then have a language learning CD run for my mind to "soak up"? Has it ever been a successful approach?
    I'll leave that question for Marisa...

3) The audio input says that it is 16 bit digital. Will it actually accept analog input as well? It says its input is 3.5 so I'm imagining that simple headphone out is still an option, but I want to be sure.
    16-bit conversion. The audio connections are analogue.

4) If I were to create SynchroMuse MP3s for free download, would MindPlace host the files anywhere? I'm talking audio copyrighted to me, not rips of commercial sountracks etc...

On another level, would MindPlace be willing to enter into any agreements with people who wished to create commercial SynchroMuse CDs?

Eventually I would really like to explore SynchroMuse and perhaps compose music specifically for use with a product like Procyon. I just want to feel out what my options would be. SynchroMuse looks like a great idea to me by the way.
    That's a question for MP management.

5) The future of Procyon. When I read the blurb for Proteus I thought that would be it. Expandable, OS updateable. And yet, here we are with Procyon. OK - there's only so much you can do with updates for one piece of hardware. But I would hope that if there is a more advanced product in the works, that it would only add to what Procyon already has and not lose any of its sophisticated features. Would this be the way MindPlace views future development of these products?
    Sure! Why not??

6) I live in Australia and when I go through a test run of the order process, it tells me that International Orders need to contact you. Is this entirely necessary? There's already a chart that seems to tell me what the additional charge for a single unit to Australia is - can't that be just added to the order? I hope I don't actually have to phone anyone.
    You don't have to call, you can send them an e-mail.

7) Will it take a long time to arrive to Australia?
    No longer than any other shipment from North America. When you contact MP, they may be able to give you an estimate of delivery time.

OK - that's all the questions I have for the moment. If I have any more I'll just add another reply.

I'm guessing at this stage that I will buy the Procyon with my next paycheck (ie start of May) unless any of these questions come with answers that particularly concern me. I don't think that will be the case though.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Caleb
    Sounds good. Go to http://www.mindplace.com to get answers to your shipment and partnership questions.

Good luck!

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

Thanks Andy.

I actually purchased Procyon. The deal with the shipping is that they are going to contact me by email first to confirm the shipping rate. Once I reply to that it's full steam ahead.

So basically I'm just waiting for an email.

In any case - looks like I'm a new buyer.

Regards
    Caleb

6. Default Re: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

My order is shipping today.
    That was a reasonable turnaround time I think.

That means it should probably be here sometime during the week.

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

That's great news! Welcome to the club!

-Andy.

Blog Entries

Hi Caleb,

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    My order is shipping today.
    That was a reasonable turnaround time I think.

That means it should probably be here sometime during the week.

Regards
    Caleb

Wonderful! You made a good choice and will be happy with the product.

9. Default Re: Question about AudioStrobe and Procyon

We'll see I guess.

When I get it, I'll explore the included programs a bit and report back.
    Hopefully I'll be able to experience some altered states.

Regards
    Caleb

Thread Information