Thread: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

1. Default Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

Proteus is not compatible with Audigy 2 value. Thankfully now I got on-board audio which works so I can use Audiostrobe.

With Audigy 2 I got all lights on, no matter what the volume.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

If you listen to the sound coming out of the Audigy 2 (the same connection that you're connecting to the Proteus) what do you hear?
    Are you certain you're not connecting it to an S/PDIF (5.1 surround) output by accident?

3. Default Re: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

I hear music, and that's an impossibility with the SPDIF.

Edit: It's an AS disc and I know what I'm saying (here).
    Last edited by ohCD; 04-15-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, thank you for checking that.
    Do you have any thoughts as to what would be different about the audio signal coming from the audigy vs. another source?

5. Default Re: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

I didn't mean I'm that much of an expert. But the possibility has been mentioned in your documentation so I thought you had some ideas of the reasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohCD View Post
    I didn't mean I'm that much of an expert. But the possibility has been mentioned in your documentation so I thought you had some ideas of the reasons.
    No problem - I wasn't implying anything either, but it seems very strange, so I'm looking for more clues....
    When you say that it's all lights on, even with the volume down, how about with the audigy output muted or with nothing playing? If the lights stay on even with nothing playing or with the output muted, then perhaps there's a DC offset issue or a hum problem.
    If the proteus shows all lights on with the audigy muted or no music playing, then if you plug your headphones into the proteus at that point, do you hear a hum or any noise? Try listening while plugging the cable in and out from the computer to the Proteus.
    There must be some sort of signal that's triggering the Proteus, maybe it's possible to hear it?

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

-Andy.

7. Default Re: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

I think maybe the original Sound Blaster may have had hum in the signal but not these newer cards. Hiss at maximum volume.

I think the DC offset thing (what ever that means exactly) is a more likely reason.

I've heard from several customers that their sound cards don't work with the Proteus etc. AudioStrobe decoders; typically the lights stay on, indicating a "too hot" signal. It could be related to the impedence of the output signal, which may not be intended to drive headphones but rather speakers, or the power, or DC offset (which in effect causes the "off" quiescent amplitude to be set to some value other than zero--for example, +1 volt).

We didn't design these machines with sound cards in mind, assuming the use of CD or MP3 players. We'll have another look for future designs--and at the possibility that there is some way to tweak the output of a sound card to fix this issue for those who prefer to work this way.

--Robert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohCD View Post
    I think the DC offset thing (what ever that means exactly) is a more likely reason.
    If you know how to use audio editing software you could do a test. If you have nero (which comes with wave editor) or any other audio editing software, try putting your file into it and using that software to see if there's any DC offset. If there is, try elminating it, save the fixed file and see if that fixes your issue.

10. Default Re: Audiostrobe compatibility with Audigy 2

I just want to ask a totally stupid question here - what happens if you lower the volume of the signal?

The reason I ask is that I have produced AudioStrobe from NP2 where I hadn't adjusted the sensitivity properly and got flat out lights or when the volume was lower - no lights.

It looks like the pulse is very much volume sensitive.

The other thing is that Audigy is pretty cool at adding all sorts of effects to your music if you want it to - could it be possibly enhancing frequencies for the purpose of given things "sheen" only to be enhancing the amplitude of the AudioStrobe pulses?

I don't know exactly in what frequency range AudioStrobe signals reside but it's quite possible to enhance even inaudible frequencies with many effects.

I really don't know much about AudioStrobe per se, but I do know the odd thing or two about effect programs and there's effects out there that actually create artificial sounds at higher frequency ranges in order to enhance the signal in some way. I think given AudioStrobe's sensitivity, you'd want to make sure that all the audio is coming through with absolutely no embellishment just to be certain. I wouldn't even normalise a wave file if I knew there was an AudioStrobe signal in it.

Another possibility is compression - compression algorithms will actually enhance the amplitude of a frequency if it was below the threshold range set by the compressor.

Anyway - that's an aside from someone who's indulging in a little random guesswork. I don't know if it really helps or not.

Regards
    Caleb

Thread Information