Thread: Congrats to the MINDPLACE Team!

Default Congrats to the MINDPLACE Team!

I've had my nice new Kasina (I keep wanting to call it a Kasima for some reason, don't know why?) for a month now and have tried all it's features except it's KBS editor. I also updated it's firmware to 1.03 a few weeks ago.

Today I updated my Transparent NP3 Ultimate software (you need the Ultimate version if you want to create and edit sessions btw) which now includes Kasina support. I might also add that I have used Mindplace products for ~12 years now and I currently own; Thoughtstream, Sirius, Proteus, Procyon, and now Kasina. I have also used NP2/NP3 for over 5 years now. I've also been an AudioStrobe fan for ~10 years and have just about all their titles.

To cut a long story short, everything works, including the NP3 update, and works very well! To be honest, I am still a bit overwhelmed by all it's great features. I also like the ease to add sessions, esp nice user-ones like from Thalassa (thanks Mate).

My only have two minor complaints/suggestions;

Firstly, the 8gb micro sd card is a bit small, capacity-wise, not size, lol! I easily over-filled this with my AudioStrobe library and NP3 sessions. I replaced it with a 32gb Sandisk Ultimate micro sd (class 10, ~$30) and I should be fine with this for quite some time to come. For a couple extra $'s I suggest that MP includes at least a 16gb micro sd card with maybe an option to purchase it with a 32gb micro sd.

Secondly, there is no Manual mode like on the Sirius/Proteus. I really think that all AVS machines should have the ability to pick and change a freq and run with it. Also, the ability to select alternating sound/lights is very useful. Hopefully it will not be too hard to incorporate this into future firmware updates. I'm no computer design expert but I'd suggest MP add's another start-up option = Manual, with an options screen that lets you select normal ,left/right alternating lights, left/right alternating sounds, a sound pitch level, and a timer (say 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes, or just variable, and non-stop). Then when you start the manual session you use the up/down to control the frequency (say 0.5-60hz, or higher?) and then use the right cursor to change colour sets (or at least individual colours). If MP can incorporate this I would be a very happy puppy!

Overall, as it is, this has to be the best AVS machine on the planet. Well done guys!

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Congrats to the MINDPLACE Team!

Hi Tom,
    I am really happy that you are enjoying your Kasina as you do indeed have a lot of experience with our products and have been a valued member here for a long time. We tried to incorporate as many feature requests from users like yourself as we could. And will continue to. We take it as a sign of success that the memory card fills up so quickly! As with all things memory capacities will change as it gets cheaper and cheaper to add more. I think we made a wise decision to make the Kasina easily expandable through external memory rather than internal.

On a manual mode, I will run it up the flag pole and see if it flies. It would be in the KBS part which has some growing to do. Also, I am working on a few 'controller' possibilities (shhh, super secret) that might see the light of day.

Anyway, as we see it the Kasina is a toddler right now just getting its legs under it, but with a bright mind and a big zest for life

Thanks so much for your comments and ideas.

Best,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thanks Scott, esp for all your input into this great avs machine and it's sessions. Looking forward to your blog discussion on the Ramping vs Jump AS modes!

Cheers,
    TomC

Tom, thank you for your commentary. I also have had a long history with l/s and biofeedback technology that took root in the 80's when Michael Hutchinson gave a weekend mind immersion workshop in Seattle. I have played with numerous mindmachines and added hypnotherapy, subliminals,etc. to enrich my experience. I agree we need some kind of manual control with your suggested options. Even though I think the earbuds is a nice advancement over the wired headset, I believe we need a bluetooth wireless machine to achieve the elegance and simplicity the 21st Century invokes. If a $99 smartwatch manufactured in China can handle both wifi and bt, as it can in several timepieces I've owned or investigated, then a much larger $350 device could easily embrace some wireless technology. Thanks for letting us know the sd card is expandable to 32 GB.

Blog Entries

Bluetooth is on our radar. The BT standard is evolving to be more universal and easier, more powerful to implement. We have been aware of our competitor machines that failed in production due to bad wireless implementations.

That is one thing worth noting, the more 'cutting edge' technology you add the more likely that the device will have a shortened lifespan, due to changing standards. Think how many manufacturers were forced to scrap devices and release brand new models (at a cost to the environment and the consumer) when Apple decided they wanted to change connectors on the new iOS devices. The great thing about older MindPlace devices is no matter what their age, you can still add some fresh batteries, plug in glasses and headphones and away you go...

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information