Thread: Kasina Battery Management

1. Default Kasina Battery Management

I am finding my Kasina battery management a little troublesome. Are there any guidelines on when to complete charging? I have charged for many hours but indicator keeps moving nonetheless. And when disconnected from charger it shows all segments with 3.95V on system, 3.27V on CPU. What voltage is 'fully charged'?

In use I also find the battery indicator to be a little unstable, moving around before settling down.

Would really like to have a 'Charged' indicator, like other devices, while unit off being best. And a 'Low Battery' indicator - perhaps there is one of those, but with segment still showing 1 it is not clear whether a charge is needed or not.

Any comments/help from those in the know? Any firmware updates to address these points in the pipeline?
    Last edited by RichardHK; 01-14-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo...
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kasina Battery Management

Hi Richard;

An update to the battery meter may be something that could be done in a future FW update. It sounds simple enough - stop showing the charging animation when the voltage is topped out, and flash red or something when it's time to recharge...

We'll put it on the update list to see if it's easy to do.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Kasina Battery Management

Thanks Andy,

A future firmware update on lines you suggest would be good. Until then, can you or another advise on what a 'Fully Charged', and 'Low Battery' voltage would be when checking with Settings/Service?
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Blog Entries

We'll check on that and get back to you, Richard.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Over a period of weeks, 4.13 V. is a full charge for me. Hope this helps

Blog Entries

I have found about 4.14v - 4.16v in my case. So I expect something around 4.1 to 4.2 to be the voltage range of "charged". I haven't looked to see at what voltage the Kasina powers itself off.
    -Andy.

7. Default Re: Kasina Battery Management

Hi guys.

I also find 4.13V to be my fully charged condition, although might be a touch higher if left longer as very small charging current still. If charger left attached, voltage is higher at 4.16V but falls to the 4.13V when disconnected.

Did a low voltage test, not down to auto cutoff (should that happen) but to zero bars showing on Kasina. Here is what I found:

Battery graphic at 1 bar remaining. Voltage 3.68V. (CPU stays at 3.27V throughout test)
    20 minute session played. Bar at 1. Voltage 3.61V.
    16 minute session played. Bar at 1. Voltage 3.61V.
    20 minute session played. Bar gone (0). Voltage 3.55V.
    12 minute session played. No bar. Voltage 3.40V with RED font display. (Didn't notice if same for previous step!)
    10 minute session played. No bar. Voltage 3.08V with RED font.

Decided to stop here as not wanting to exhaust battery completely. Conclusion is that battery is really quite good with many hours of life. I will recharge mine when battery display drops to 0 Bars, which still gives a buffer.

Hope that helps someone as fussy as me, untl we get a firmware update to simplify recharge signal even more.
    Last edited by RichardHK; 02-28-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Blog Entries

Hi RichardHK,
    New firmware is in the testing stage that improves battery life and charging indicators and will be released very soon.
    Thanks for your detailed tests.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

9. Default Re: Kasina Battery Management

Thanks Scott.

Great news. Battery life already excellent++ so can only get even better. Will save me the stress of half-expecting a shutdown due to exhausted battery!! Don't like to recharge batteries too early which reduces overall life.
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Thread Information