Thread: Problem: Can't stay awake

Default Problem: Can't stay awake

Hi all!

Im having a problem, i recently bought a proteus, and im having a real hard time not falling asleep while using it.

I have tried using it in the morning (after getting plenty of sleep) and after work. And i have used all kinds of programs on it. But i can never stay awake. I fall asleep after about 5 mins. And im not feeling any effects other than what i get from sleep (because i always fall asleep while using it). I feel no meditation effects.

Does anyone have any tips on what i can do? How do you manage to stay awake?! I dont get it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem: Can't stay awake

Hi Bjorn,

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    Hi all!

I'm having a problem, i recently bought a Proteus, and I'm having a real hard time not falling asleep while using it. I have tried using it in the morning (after getting plenty of sleep) and after work. And i have used all kinds of programs on it. But i can never stay awake. I fall asleep after about 5 mins. And I'm not feeling any effects other than what i get from sleep (because i always fall asleep while using it).
    If you are falling asleep that easily, this tells me that although you may be getting plenty of hours of sleep at night, you are not getting a restful or deep enough sleep, which is why as soon as you put on a program that goes into Alpha or Theta - you fall asleep. If this is the case, then the machine is benefiting you more than you realize and you should consider using Programs 43 - 47 just before you go to bed. They will assure a good, deep sleep that will leave you more awake in the day time.

I feel no meditation effects.
    Such as? What are you expecting to experience?

Does anyone have any tips on what i can do? How do you manage to stay awake?! I don't get it.
    Well, you could try a more energizing program such as P 1 - 6 and let me know if you fall asleep when using one of those programs. You should not fall asleep especially on programs 1,2 or 3.

You may have to actually learn how to sleep better before you will be able to stay awake but be very relaxed in a meditative state.

The good news is that even if you do fall asleep, your brain will still receive the benefits of the machine at least as far as your brain being coaxed into the various frequencies and receiving the benefits those provide.

Let me know how you do on P 1,2, or 3. We'll begin there and then figure out how to get you where you want to go.

Hello Marisa

Thank you for your extensive answer.

Such as? What are you expecting to experience?
    Im expecting to get a feeling of deep relaxation and well beeing.

I just tried P2 and i did not fall asleep. Maybe my sleep isn't deep enough at night, i had not really thought about that before. I don't know how deep other people sleep But i am going to try one of the sleep programs and see if that might help me.

I will revert with my progress.

Thank you again.

OK..

So i have tried some stuff. First i tried using a sleep program before going to bed very early and sleeping until i felt totaly rested. After that, in the same morning, i used a deep meditation program with success. And this method works on me.
    But then it comes down to another thing, it's so timeconsuming having to do this method everytime just to not fall asleep. Because if i try in any other way, for example running a program when i get home from work, i fall asleep. Or if i try running a program in the morning without being completely, totaly rested, i fall alseep. It's quite irritating actually. If i want to do it after work, i will have to first sleep 2-3 hours so that i feel totaly rested again (regrdless of how well i slept that night) and then run a program. But thats way to timeconsuming. It shouldn't have to be this hard! .. as you can see im becoming irritated.

I have friends who can run a deep meditation program in the morning, even though they are tired, without falling asleep. I want to be able to do that as well.

Blog Entries

Hi Bjorn,

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    OK..

So i have tried some stuff. First i tried using a sleep program before going to bed very early and sleeping until i felt totally rested. After that, in the same morning, i used a deep meditation program with success. And this method works on me.
    Okay, so we know what the problem is and how to fix it.

But then it comes down to another thing, it's so time consuming having to do this method every time just to not fall asleep. Because if i try in any other way, for example running a program when i get home from work, i fall asleep. Or if i try running a program in the morning without being completely, totally rested, i fall asleep. It's quite irritating actually. If i want to do it after work, i will have to first sleep 2-3 hours so that i feel totally rested again (regardless of how well i slept that night) and then run a program. But thats way to time consuming. It shouldn't have to be this hard! .. as you can see I'm becoming irritated.
    Well, you are not going to fix a sleep problem in one night. You have to train your brain to be able to go into a delta state on a regular basis so that you are getting a better sleep at night so that you can be more awake and alert during the day.

You will continue to fall asleep while using the machine on meditation programs if you are tired because the meditation programs take you down into a state that borders the edge of sleep.

Deep meditation happens when the brain goes into a theta frequency which is the frequency that your brain is in just before you fall asleep and just when you wake up.

I have friends who can run a deep meditation program in the morning, even though they are tired, without falling asleep. I want to be able to do that as well.
    They may not be deep sleep deprived as I suspect you are. It may be a "medical" problem (maybe something like Sleep Apnea or something is occurring). If you don't want to see a doctor and want to try to fix this yourself (keep in mind, I'm only guessing what the problem may be and I'm not a doctor) you may have to use the sleep program steady for let's say a week and then after that week, try the machine on a different program and see if you can stay awake during it.

With brain entrainment, it doesn't happen suddenly or after one use, the brain has to learn how to use those frequencies more appropriately and that takes a bit of time. It's like getting a muscle in shape, it doesn't get in shape after exercising only once, you have to do it for a while.

Have patience. Meditation is a learned skill that has to do with patience.

Another thing that you could try is P: 43 which is a "cat nap" for 15 minutes and then try a 15 minute Theta or Alpha program such as: 12, 23 or 33 and see if you stay awake. It may be a matter of you working up to a longer meditation program.

Anyway, this gives you a few more things to try. Let me know how it goes and keep in mind that even if you fall asleep, you are still getting a benefit from the program. If you fall asleep, it's because you need sleep. It's that simple.

M.

Thread Information