Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

1. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I forgot about that jack! You might be able to use that to connect to the Arduino. I will check on the spec of that connection and get back to you.
    Hi Andy - Sorry if I'm bugging you. Find anything out on that jack? Has anyone used it for any other purpose other than it's intended use? Any information on the jack would help me decide what to do next.

Thanks!!

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

It's no problem. Bug away!

I haven't quite gotten all the information I need on that connection yet, but I do know this:

The connection is a 3.5mm TRS, which should be able to be connected to an RS-232 port.
    Sleeve = ground (connect to RS232 Gnd pin 5)
    Ring = data TX (connect to RS232 Rx pin 2)
    Tip = N/C

I tried this out and was able to receive data, but it was gibberish, so I think I've got the baud rate or something else wrong. I'm currently trying to figure out what the correct baud rate and settings are for this port. What I really need is a logic analyzer!

If you'd like to experiment, you can make up a cable as spec'd above and try looking at the data coming from that port.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Thanks Andy - I'll start experimenting. The pin-out is a great start. Please let me know if you find out anything more...and I'll do the same. Maybe someone else is interested in this interfacing.

Here's what I'm looking for - "The first data packet that the Proteus receives from the Thoughtstream will
    contain a measurement for the skin-sensor resistance." from your http://mindplacesupport.com/Downloads/Interfacing.pdf

I'd like to process the skin-resistance in Arduino.

Thanks again, Andy! You're very helpful!

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Some additional info is available here.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information