Thread: Old version of Proteus question (liteframes & usb)

1. Question Old version of Proteus question (liteframes & usb)

Hi Im new here

I have recently bought a used Proteus machine (like new) and realised when i unpacked it there was no usb cable
    and the liteframes are outdated.

So after spending a reasonable amount of money (75 bucks) Im wondering if i now need to spend the extra
    $20 on a usb cable and $50 on some ganzframes?

I want to make sure Im getting the most out of the proteus...
    Is there really that much difference between the old frames and
    new frames?? is it really worth buying the new ones?

Im guessing i can still update and use my machine to the full extent without having a usb cable?

apologies for the messed up spacing sent from smartphone.

any hel would be great thanks :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old version of Proteus question (liteframes & usb)

Hello and welcome!

If you find that the Proteus works well for you in it's current state, then no reason to update. Give it a try and see what you think. Some people actually liked the old lightframes because they seemed a little brighter.

To update the Proteus, you will need a USB to RS-232 cable, and the one recommended is the one from MindPlace. However, if you already have another one, and your seller included the RS-232 programming cable, then you could use that. If you don't have either, then it'd be worth the cost to buy the proper cable from MindPlace.
    That being said, if it's working well, then maybe there's no need to update it. It's designed as a stand-alone product.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Old version of Proteus question (liteframes & usb)

Thanks for your quick reply Andy. I've been using it for the last week and I've experienced every colour of the rainbow as well as geometric shapes and patterns which is quite breath taking at times.

At first I couldnt turn the lights up beyond half way as they are very... bright. But now I'm embracing the lights on full as I feel just going with it gives me better results. Out of curiosity what IS the difference between the new frames and the older frames? Is it just aesethitcs like the style and fit etc?

I dont seem to have any programming cable, it says in the manual there should be one but the seller must not of included it so I'll have to order one from mindplace.. unfortunately I live in the UK :-/

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiadian View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply Andy. I've been using it for the last week and I've experienced every colour of the rainbow as well as geometric shapes and patterns which is quite breath taking at times.
    That's great! It's an awesome machine.

At first I couldnt turn the lights up beyond half way as they are very... bright. But now I'm embracing the lights on full as I feel just going with it gives me better results. Out of curiosity what IS the difference between the new frames and the older frames? Is it just aesethitcs like the style and fit etc?
    The new LEDs are SMT which makes them flatter. The older ones stick out a bit from the frames. I think the frames might have been changed a little as well, but I'm not sure.

I dont seem to have any programming cable, it says in the manual there should be one but the seller must not of included it so I'll have to order one from mindplace.. unfortunately I live in the UK :-/
    I would think shipping wouldn't be bad, it's a lightweight cable.

Thanks for your help
    You're most welcome!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: Old version of Proteus question (liteframes & usb)

Unfortunately i don't have the pc programmer cable either. So as i understand i will need a female rs232 to 3.5mm jack and a Usb to male rs232 adapter... i can pick an adaptor up for next to nothing here in the UK.

Will any female rs232 to 3.5mm jack cable work with the proteus? does it have to be a specific type?

Regards P

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I doubt you can get an RS232 to 3.5mm cable that will work. It's wiring is specific to the Proteus. They are a custom cable.

Send an e-mail to orders@mindplace.com. They may have some old programming cables (3.5mm to RS-232) that they might be able to send you for just the cost of shipping, since that model is not sold anymore. Make sure you specify BLACK PROTEUS RS-232 programming cable. The older Thoughtstream (non-USB) used to have a programming cable that looked the same, but was GREY.

Ultimately, I would still recommend the approved Proteus USB programming cable.
    -Andy.

Thread Information