Thread: Pulsing sounds

1. Default Pulsing sounds

Hi
    I am new to the Proteus though have had a Mindlab in the past. When I choose session 21 and switch on my CD player and the unit, I get a loud pulsing sound in the headphones and am not able to hear the music clearly. But if I choose USR mode with an audio strobe CD then the pulsing sound is absent and I'm able to hear the sounds clearly.
    Am I doing something wrong or arent you able to hear music clearly when in modes other than audio strobe?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pulsing sounds

Hello and welcome!

Typically, the Proteus is used in a couple of different ways. The first is as stand-alone brain entrainment. For this, you connect only the headphones and Ganzframes to the Proteus, select an appropriate session (the sessions are detailed in the manual), put on the headphones and Ganzframes, close your eyes, adjust the volume and brightness as you like, relax and let the machine do it's thing, helping you achieve a particular state.

Another way would be to use the Proteus as an AudioStrobe decoder. In this case, you connect up your music source to the Proteus using the supplied 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, play an AudioStrobe-encoded piece of music on your music player, select AS mode on the Proteus, put on the headphones and adjust the volume on the music player and Proteus for a comfortable level, put on the Ganzframes and adjust the brightness to a comfortable level, sit back, relax and let the AudioStrobe track do it's thing.

Using the internal sounds along with music is possible, but sometimes not pleasant or useful, as you have found.

Maybe tell us more about what you are trying to achieve and we can help you figure out the best way to get there.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Pulsing sounds

Many thanks for your swift reply Andy. I suppose that I was hoping to use the Proteus like my Mindlab for both relaxation and creativity boosting. I used to play some of my CD's while running the various sessions with that - sounds as though it isnt possible with the Proteus? Thats a shame, as I really used to enjoy the 'light shows' along with some relaxing music. Im afraid I am technically a baby and dont really understand what is possible with this kit. I am an artist and at the moment I am going through a block period and was hoping that the Proteus might help but I will try with just the glasses and the unit as you suggest - unless there is something else I can try or could you suggest some easy to uinderstand reading about programming the Proteus if you feel that may help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pulsing sounds

You can certainly do that if you like.

I take it that when you try this, you are finding that the internal sounds of the Proteus are too loud in comparison to the music?

If so, then have a look at this document which describes the procedure to adjust the volume of the internal sounds. The overall volume (both internal and music volume) is controlled by the volume control on top of the Proteus. Make sure you have your music source volume up as loud as possible. e.g. the volume on your CD player should be up full or as loud as it can go without distorting.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information