Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

Default Re: Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

Hello Robert

Thank you for your interest and information. You have wetted my appetite with the lost procedure using 1000 sectors! The size would not be a problem as you have made it simple to upload into the user section as required.

I wonder if you could expand on:

'Tom's an old friend of mine, and has described "brain brightening" using light and sound as, hopping between a range of frequencies every few seconds. The goal is to increase overall activation within the frequency range, which as you suggest could be in the alpha and beta range.'

I am keen to recover some of my youthful mental agility which I appear to be losing in my late sixties! ) At the moment I am using the Brain Brightening session No 27 copied from my Galaxy. It has 8 sectors:

1 Starting at 8hz increasing to 16hz over 8 min.
    2. From 16hz decreasing to 9hz over 4 min.
    3. From 9hz increasing to 16hz over 3 min.
    4. From 16hz decreasing to 10hz over 2 min.
    5. From 10hz increasing to 16hz over 2 min.
    6. Finally 1 min at 16hz.

I find that if I change the audio frequency for each sector I have a good idea where I am in the session without peeping at the digital readout. I am also interested to know more about the advantages of ramdomisation.

Regarding your proposed extension of the tutorial and extra sessions, I for one will be very grateful!

Thank you.

Regards Allan

Hello, Allan--

As I recall, the Galaxy "Brain Brightening" session was set up in that manner--scanning slowly through various ranges of frequencies--in order to activate that entire range of frequencies, but taking into account the limited memory included in that model. When Tom was working for us for a year in ca. 1997-98, we had developed the ability to jump from frequency to frequency, and used that to evaluate an individual's response to a range of EEG frequecies; in that case, I think we dwelt on a specific frequency for roughly five seconds. Tom thought that would be useful for "brain brightening", and although as little as one or two seconds stimulation can evoke activity, a longer period would help ensure activation. But keeping the period relatively short also reduces the possibility of habituation, and lessens the chance that someone will simply fall asleep (which is not uncommon). So, a session which covers SMR and low beta could be ideal; I'm not sure the 9-12 Hz range would be necessary since it is attention we are trying to tune-up. I'll try to free up some time in the next couple of weeks to make both Proteus and Procyon versions which function in this manner, and post them to this site.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Hello Robert

Thank you for your interesting reply. Some questions arise from it however and I would appreciate illumination on these:

You confirmed that there is a variation of response on the EEG from stimulation of a range of frequencies, say 13hz to 15hz, from the Proteus, depending on say the age of the person tested as well as other possible variables.
    If a session is devised and made for the Proteus with short sectors using the frequencies, which gave a relatively low response on the EEG test, periods of approximately one or two seconds will evoke activity at that frequency. If the period time is extended to about five seconds they will tend to activate or ?switch on? that frequency. Over a period of some weeks of daily exposure to this session the switch on of these frequencies will be more positive and of greater amplitude. Is this called entrainment? Or is entrainment the assimilation of the skill to attain a specific brain wave frequency corresponding to a required state of mind at will?
    I am also a little unsure of the term Habituation or Habitation; I am not sure of the correct spelling. Is this when a brain wave frequency is ?burnt in? and becomes a permanent part of our brain waves? If so does it fade quickly with time or does it fade slowly?
    What is the consequence of falling asleep when listening to the SMR range 13 Hz to 15 Hz? Does it indicate that Habituation has taken place? Or is it an indication that the session at that moment was not dynamic or interesting enough to hold the attention? If one does fall asleep has the entrainment ended while one is asleep?

Thank you for planning to make ?Brain Brightening? sessions for the Proteus and Procyon.

Regards Allan

4. Default Re: Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

It seems people are more active on the Transparent corp's forum with this.

http://www.transparentcorp.com/commu...=0&#entry10458

Thanks for your input. I will check it out.

Regards agodney

Hello Robert

I have written a "Brain Brightening" session and would appreciate it if you would have a look at it and advise me if I am on the right track.

1. I started with a 2 minute attention grabbing sector starting at 8Hz and ending at 12Hz.
    2. I then used 50 by 5 second sectors from 12 Hz to 17Hz at 0.1 Hz intervals.
    3. I wanted to add more 5 second sectors at 0.01 Hz intervals but since this was not possible, I then added 50 by 25 second sectors bridging the 0.1 Hz steps, the thought being that it would stimulate these frequencies as well.

This used 102 sectors to complete the session.
    I have a feeling however that I could have used the supplemental commands to add 5 second sectors covering the 0.01 Hz frequency gaps in the 12Hz to 16Hz range, giving a total of about 500 sectors in the session, and I will experiment to see if this is possible.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Regards Allan Godney
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 06-07-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: fix unicode errors

Hello Marisa

I am not sure how the team members attention is drawn to messages addressed to them, I asked for information from Robert in the posting above about three weeks ago, I realise that he is busy and maybe he missed this posting, could you jog his memory for me.

Thank you Allan Godney.

Blog Entries

Hi Allen,

He probably missed it, I will send him a note.

In circumstances such as this you can send the person a PM or email. This form has an email function that will forward them an email.

M.

Hello, Allan--

I'm not sure you really need such fine resolution for this application. Did you randomize the stimulation blocks, or are they sequential? Tom Budzynski thought that randomizing them within a range would be the most effective approach, as this is more akin to "broad band" stimulation. The frequency range looks OK to me as well. I'd tend to suggest shorter stimulation blocks, perhaps in the 2-5 second range.

The machine called Roshi uses a somewhat similar approach (though at a much higher price), and in some instances changes frequency very quickly. Because of the lack of published literature on this approach, there is still considerable lattitude for experimentation.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by agodney View Post
    Hello Robert

I have written a ?Brain Brightening? session and would appreciate it if you would have a look at it and advise me if I am on the right track.

1. I started with a 2 minute attention grabbing sector starting at 8Hz and ending at 12Hz.
    2. I then used 50 by 5 second sectors from 12 Hz to 17Hz at 0.1 Hz intervals.
    3. I wanted to add more 5 second sectors at 0.01 Hz intervals but since this was not possible, I then added 50 by 25 second sectors bridging the 0.1 Hz steps, the thought being that it would stimulate these frequencies as well.

This used 102 sectors to complete the session.
    I have a feeling however that I could have used the supplemental commands to add 5 second sectors covering the 0.01 Hz frequency gaps in the 12Hz to 16Hz range, giving a total of about 500 sectors in the session, and I will experiment to see if this is possible.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Regards Allan Godney

Hello Robert

Thank you for the information.

The current program uses sequential ramping of the frequencies.

I will modify the program to incorporate your suggestion to make the frequency selection random in the required range, and also randomise the lengths of the segments from the current fixed 5 seconds per frequency to vary between 2 and 5 seconds.
    You also suggest that jumping between different frequencies may be an advantage so I will remove smoothing sectors between the stimulation/activation sectors.

Thank you.

Allan Godney

Thread Information