Thread: Difference between Brain and Mind

Default Difference between Brain and Mind

Hi forum,

I'm a poker player, I did some research about how our mind/brain works to become a better player. I'm bit interested in body language and reading a book on that subject, the author Joe Navarro, quote the "triune brain theory". So sorry my silly question but what is the difference between "Brain" and "mind" ?

Well, I'm thinking about buy a Procyon to training my thoughts to avoid "tilt" at the table.. Do you believe guys that the device could help me on this?

Thanks,
    Andre.
    Last edited by Andy; 07-02-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Our Mind Works

Hi Andre

Quote Originally Posted by A_A View Post
    Hi forum,

I'm a poker player, I did some research about how our mind/brain works to become a better player. I'm bit interested in body language and reading a book on that subject, the author Joe Navarro, quote the "triune brain theory". So sorry my silly question but what is the difference between "Brain" and "mind" ?
    You may also find the work of Paul Ekman interesting as he teaches about micro-expressions. Those unconscious "tells" which we show for a brief instant before our conscious mind masks our feeling. The show "Lie to Me" is based on Ekman's work.

Well, I'm thinking about buy a Procyon to training my thoughts to avoid "tilt" at the table.. Do you believe guys that the device could help me on this?
    Interesting questions. I have a couple of thoughts on this. One is that it would be helpful for you to set up a video camera and go through a few hands of cards with a friend. Try to keep a neutral expression. You want to then study the footage and learn where your "tells" are. You won't be able to mask your micro-expressions but you can train yourself to mask pretty quickly or even give off a misleading expression.

I wonder if biofeedback would be a better tool for you because the feedback will help you learn to recognize certain states and let you know when your body has a shift in state.

Re: The difference between the brain and the mind:
    The brain is the hardware and the mind is the software. Mind is your thoughts. It is the mind that interprets the sensory experience and your brain provides all the physical components necessary to create thought.

The conscious is that which you are aware of, which is roughly 7 +/- 2 things at a time. Your unconscious is all that other information your senses may pick up but you are unaware of it. For example, you feel hungry and then you notice that the neighbor is having a BBQ. You were conscious of something else before that, let's say you were reading a book. Your brain via your sense of smell picked up on the BBQ and trigged the hunger response way before you became aware (conscious) that you were hungry and that your neighbor was having a BBQ.

In addition to the Ekman stuff, you may also want to study some NLP which will teach you a bit more about how and why the mind does what it does. I think Ekman also has an on-line course where you can learn and practice recognizing micro-expressions.

Hope this helps.

M.
    Last edited by Marisa; 07-04-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Had to fix a quote
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Default Re: Difference between Brain and Mind

Hope this helps.

M.
    Wow Marisa, you can bet all in

Thanks very much for the tip.

cheers
    Andre

4. Default Re: Difference between Brain and Mind

That was incredbily helpful

Blog Entries

Yay! Thanks! I love it when that happens.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hi,

Well backing to "Brain and Mind" subject. We cannot change the things that is hardcoded in our body, can we? I mean the "reptilian brain" doesnt care what our neocortex beleive or not. For example can I do Hypnosis to acelerate my intestinal peristalsis moves or stop my heart ??? (btw, my heart can continue beating alone even out of my chest). So what is the bound, the border between then?

[s]
    Andre

Blog Entries

Hi,

Well backing to "Brain and Mind" subject. We cannot change the things that is hardcoded in our body, can we? I mean the "reptilian brain" doesnt care what our neocortex beleive or not. For example can I do Hypnosis to acelerate my intestinal peristalsis moves or stop my heart ??? (btw, my heart can continue beating alone even out of my chest). So what is the bound, the border between then?

[s]
    Andre
    I think of something like Voodoo (which essentially is hypnosis) and a person who believes s/he has been cursed will physically manifest symptoms and even die. So the software can cause the hardware to malfunction and even cease to work.

Can the software cause the hardware to heal itself? Sometimes. Placebo does work sometimes. Faith healing works sometimes. People also spontaneously get better or go into remission regardless of belief, faith or effort.

I guess the answer is maybe and sometimes but not all the time. I think there are too many factors that could influence outcome to be able to determine a direct cause/effect.

As for the heart beating outside of the chest - that only works as long as there is blood pressure. I think.

Can the software cause the hardware to heal itself?
    Well, let me thinking about...

I have a litter background on IT. As far as I know.. software can make other software to behave erratically or in an unwanted manner but they can not do anything to your computer hardware. But some virus can possible cause a hardware problem... since there could be a virus that disabls the internal fans causing your processor to overheat and break or by make the HD speed up for a long period of time, more or less like Hardware Stress Test ( overclocking, underclocking, overvolting, overheating, etc ).

Maybe "stress" is the keyword. If our body is already in the "stress mood" caused by a "bad software" then a "good software" can be installed to fix the problem. Like "patchs" or "anti-virus" etc. Something like the famous "windows service pack updates"

Anyways today I received my Procyon avs. I'm still learning about it. I already have a trial version of Neuroprogrammer but intend to buy the fullversion and also the Mindlab Thoughtstream by the end of the month. I believe I can have a lot of fun with those three together.

Thanks
    -Andre

Blog Entries

Well, let me thinking about...

I have a litter background on IT. As far as I know.. software can make other software to behave erratically or in an unwanted manner but they can not do anything to your computer hardware. But some virus can possible cause a hardware problem... since there could be a virus that disabls the internal fans causing your processor to overheat and break or by make the HD speed up for a long period of time, more or less like Hardware Stress Test ( overclocking, underclocking, overvolting, overheating, etc ).

Maybe "stress" is the keyword. If our body is already in the "stress mood" caused by a "bad software" then a "good software" can be installed to fix the problem. Like "patchs" or "anti-virus" etc. Something like the famous "windows service pack updates"
    That's what NLP is all about - finding those thought and belief viruses and altering the program so that everything runs better.

Anyways today I received my Procyon avs. I'm still learning about it. I already have a trial version of Neuroprogrammer but intend to buy the fullversion and also the Mindlab Thoughtstream by the end of the month. I believe I can have a lot of fun with those three together.
    What is a "Mindlab" Thoughtstream? Do you mean Mindplace's Thoughtstream? You know that you can not hook it up to the Procyon right?

You'll love the Procyon and Transparent Corp has done a really good job with their programs. I've played with them a bit but Craig's more the expert there.

M.

What is a "Mindlab" Thoughtstream?
    LOL...
    Where did ""Mindlab" Thoughtstream" came from ??? oh yes .. I can remember now ..I saw it here..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mindlab-Though...item335b231b69

"Mindlab Thoughtstream Meditate Deeper Than A Zen Monk"

was funny..anyways

You know that you can not hook it up to the Procyon right?
    Well I was thinking that I could use Thoughtstream to generate my own "data" into Neuroprogrammer Software, build a session and then use Neuroprogrammer + Procyon ... Do I be able to do that ?

Thanks

Thread Information