Thread: Ok, A few questions. I'm almost convinced to buy a Procyon

Arrow Ok, A few questions. I'm almost convinced to buy a Procyon

But, Before I do. Im sorry if repeats (I tried to find them but couldnt) so i'll post. Im thinking and fairly sure on the Procyon but, please help with my questions if you can.

1. This is the official site right?

2. Is the Procyon..Probably the best one in your oppinion?

3. If, say, I accidentaly sat on the glasses and they broke. Can I buy a new pair without having to buy a new system? If so. Is there better glasses that you can buy that arn't the glasses it comes with? (for the Procyon)

4. Is it Recomended to buy your own pair of headphones or are these headphones pretty awsome, Or can you use any headphones, even ear buds if you needed to?

5. Where is the best place to order one from? This site, or the other sites offering the same thing. Is it safe enough to order from this site? (reliable?) Shipping and handling included on this site or no.

6. Is it worth the money? (Good quality, will it last?)

7. If It breaks, gives me headaches or siezures or somthing bad, or if it just doesnt do what it is leading me to believe and im unsatisfied..Can I return for a refund? Or am I just out of $300.

8. It takes 2AA batteries, right? My question..How long do they last? Is it good on battery power or should I expect to spend a fair amount on batteries?

9. (last one, I think) I'm still confused on if you can just plug in your mp3 player (ipod in my case) if so, will the lights flicker to the beat or do you have to customize the beats to the music yourself with the downloadable pattern customizer program (I'm fairly sure thats what it is). I have some really relaxing songs on my ipod, I just want to be able to plug it in to the machine and sit back and relax and watch the images/landscapes. Is it that easy or am I missing somthing?

If you can get back to me as soon as possible, that would be great. I have been debating back and forth on this product for a while but the idea fascinates me and im a serious potential buyer here just a few hurdles of questions at the moment . Love the idea but still sketchy about it. Can you clear things up for me? Much Appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ok, A few questions. I'm almost convinced to buy a Procyon

Quote Originally Posted by 1gonu1 View Post
    But, Before I do. Im sorry if repeats (I tried to find them but couldnt) so i'll post. Im thinking and fairly sure on the Procyon but, please help with my questions if you can.
    Certainly

1. This is the official site right?
    The Official site for the Mindplace forum, which is owned by Mindplace.

2. Is the Procyon..Probably the best one in your opinion?
    I like both the Proteus and the Procyon. If you can afford the Procyon, go for that. If money is an issue, the Proteus is a good machine as well.

3. If, say, I accidentally sat on the glasses and they broke. Can I buy a new pair without having to buy a new system? If so. Is there better glasses that you can buy that aren't the glasses it comes with? (for the Procyon)
    Yes, you could buy a new pair of glasses separately. The glasses that come with the Procyon are the best for that machine.

4. Is it Recommended to buy your own pair of headphones or are these headphones pretty awesome, Or can you use any headphones, even ear buds if you needed to?
    The headphones that come with the machine are adequate. It's really a matter of preference. I usually use "in-ear" headphones when I use the Procyon or Proteus in bed, though I couldn't find mine last night and used the factory headphones - which I thought were okay. I have noise-cancelling headphones that I use when I use the machine at my desk (only because they block out external noise).

5. Where is the best place to order one from? This site, or the other sites offering the same thing. Is it safe enough to order from this site? (reliable?) Shipping and handling included on this site or no.
    Mindplace has many dealers in many locations. Some have better customer service than others - though - if you have a problem with any of the dealers, you certainly can send one of us a PM and we will help you resolve the issue. You can also purchase a machine from Mindplace at mindplace.com.

6. Is it worth the money? (Good quality, will it last?)
    Definitely. Mindplace has a really good warranty and the products are solid. I've been using Mindplace products for six or seven years now.

7. If It breaks, gives me headaches or seizures or something bad, or if it just doesn't do what it is leading me to believe and I'm unsatisfied..Can I return for a refund? Or am I just out of $300.
    You can return it for a refund. I think you have 30 days. Make sure you keep all the packaging and when you take the machine out try not to damage any packaging. You want to return the product in good shape. If you lose any parts or damage the box - that will be deducted from your refund. It sounds picky but no one is going to give you a hard time about it. This is if you buy the product from Mindplace.com. If you decide to buy the product from one of Mindplace's dealers - you may want to check with them first regarding their return policy.

8. It takes 2AA batteries, right? My question..How long do they last? Is it good on battery power or should I expect to spend a fair amount on batteries?
    I get around 40 hours out of my batteries. I also use rechargeable ones.

9. (last one, I think) I'm still confused on if you can just plug in your mp3 player (ipod in my case) if so, will the lights flicker to the beat or do you have to customize the beats to the music yourself with the downloadable pattern customizer program (I'm fairly sure thats what it is). I have some really relaxing songs on my ipod, I just want to be able to plug it in to the machine and sit back and relax and watch the images/landscapes. Is it that easy or am I missing somthing?
    The machine does not flicker to the beat. You would choose one of the programs to go with your music. Oddly enough, it will seem like the program is flickering to the beat of your music.

For pure entertainment, the last two or three programs are designed just for this purpose. It's a really cool experience. What I usually do, in this case, is just plug the lights into the machine and plug my headphones into my MP3 player (don't need to listen to the pulsing sounds of the frequencies for recreational use).

If you can get back to me as soon as possible, that would be great. I have been debating back and forth on this product for a while but the idea fascinates me and im a serious potential buyer here just a few hurdles of questions at the moment . Love the idea but still sketchy about it. Can you clear things up for me? Much Appreciated.
    Hope this helps.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Just one clarification to what Marisa has already said...

The Procyon uses 3 AA batteries.

-Andy.

Thumbs up Re: Ok, A few questions. I'm almost convinced to buy a Procyon

Perfect, You guys are really on the ball and thank you for answering so quickly!

When you said "(don't need to listen to the pulsing sounds of the frequencies for recreational use). " Does that mean the machine puts out noise or Does it already have pre-recorded music on it?

Would it be better to just listen to your music and use the machine seperate for the lights?

And to me, It sounds like a fairly safe bet to buy the Procyon, and I'm impressed it has a return policy.

Does it take long to deliver from the Mind site?

Rating 1-5 stars, what would you give it

The Procyon has 50 inbuilt (downloadable/replaceable) sessions which provide audio and visual stimulus, fully utilising the RGB LEDs.

The Procyon lights can also be controlled by Audiostrobe type signals in music or other AVS content. Via the Procyon Editor the colour mapping for the 2-colour audiostrobe system can be set to any of the 3 RGB colours. With clever light control design things can be done with the Procyon digital-analog audiostrobe compatibility mode that can't be done with any other decoder I've tried. It is the reference machine I use for special sessions I design with Mind Workstation.

A few of the Procyon sessions are purely recreational and can be used with the volume turned down just to add a mind-bending lightshow to music of your choice. It's quite easy to pick other sessions that work well with the sound down and the lights flashing vaguely along with the music. A remarkable feature of the brain seems to be its ability to create associations and patterns - you'll be surprised how often you can find an element in a piece of music that is synchronous with the flashing.

The inbuilt sessions are good. The audiostrobe performance is good. The programmability is unsurpassed if you're willing to take on the learning curve. The MindPlace glasses have the best colour saturation of any closed-eye glasses I've used.

I've had no problems with delivery, except a wrong Proteus adapter for the region. Proteus is my favourite walking-on-the-beach machine, so it's always run on batteries anyway.

I have a couple of friends/associates who have had faults with their devices and have had the devices promptly replaced.

The Proteus and the Procyon both have very different sounding synths and I think, when time has passed and AVS has a robust history, that both will be recalled as "classics", as the Mini Moog is today amongst synthesiser afficionados. For sound and light I absolutely favour the Procyon. For sound only I give the Proteus an edge. The Proteus is the nearest equivalent in performance to the industry standard Light & Sound Synergizer, though with brighter and more intense colours.

I don't want to score points, but Procyon is best-of-breed. My opinion is by no means unbiased. I make no apologies for my personal preference for one product or company over another.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Last edited by CraigT; 03-19-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Talking Re: Ok, A few questions. I'm almost convinced to buy a Procyon

Very Impressive man, Exactly what I been wanting to hear. Very good description and really makes me think Im not going to regret my desicion with the procyon. Any other Information that anyone may think that has have been left out would be greatly appreciated but I really think this has been enough to assure me of my desicion.

Thank you very much with my questions and the detailed description.

Blog Entries

Perfect, You guys are really on the ball and thank you for answering so quickly!

When you said "(don't need to listen to the pulsing sounds of the frequencies for recreational use). " Does that mean the machine puts out noise or Does it already have pre-recorded music on it?
    Not noise but pulsing sounds.

Would it be better to just listen to your music and use the machine seperate for the lights?

It depends on what your goal is. It also depends on your sensitivity to light and/or sound. For example, I'm quite auditory and so I get results just by listening to one of the programs on the machine. This, I find useful if I am working at my desk and want to enhance my concentration or creativity. I use both sound and light at night to go to sleep. I only use music with the machine for recreation as opposed to any "therapeutic" gain.

And to me, It sounds like a fairly safe bet to buy the Procyon, and I'm impressed it has a return policy.

Does it take long to deliver from the Mind site?
    If you are in the U.S., it takes about a week for delivery. I ship the retail orders for Mindplace from Canada. Please keep in mind, that the return policy and shipping information is just for Mindplace (any other company, and there are a few with the word "Mind" - is a separate entity and will have their own policies regarding shipping and returns). I've put a link to their site below.

Most dealers in the U.S. don't have stock and the product is drop shipped from the manufacturer's warehouse ... and guess where that is?

Rating 1-5 stars, what would you give it
    My opinion is biased so I'll leave this answer to other users.

M.

http://www.mindplace.com
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information