Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Procyon with Laxman goggles

1. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm not entirely certain, but I think they are a Hirose MQ172 series, 4 conductor.
    If that's the right connector, you can get them at mouser, among other places...

If that's the right connector, then I was probably wrong about it being difficult to find...
    Has anyone attempted to source & fit this connector??

Any luck?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

I can confirm that the plug is the Hirose MQ172X-4SA-CV(50) and is in the Mouser catalog, and it shows that they have stock.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

is there a way to use this info to get the laxman glasses to hook up directly to procyon (i.e., connect this plug to cable with 3.5mm on other end)? I'm a bit electronics-challenged so thanks for patience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    is there a way to use this info to get the laxman glasses to hook up directly to procyon (i.e., connect this plug to cable with 3.5mm on other end)? I'm a bit electronics-challenged so thanks for patience.
    Yes, but you would need an electronics-handy person to do the wiring. It's not easy. It would actually be much easier to just cut off the end of the Laxman cable and wire it to a 3.5mm TRRS plug if you don't care about using the Laxman goggles with the Laxman console.
    Also, note that you would need a 3.5mm TRRS plug (4-conductor) to go into the Procyon.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Thanks Andy. Do you knw if anyone has actually done this, wire the laxman cable to a 3.5mm trrs plug? I asked a local music/stereo equipment person to do it for me and he said the way the waxman cable is built (to be so flexible, small, etc) means the wires are threaded into fabric which makes it very difficult to do. He actually said he couldn't do it. I didn't press it, but would be curious if anyone else out there has done it successfully. I sure would love to get this thing hooked up to the procyon...at least it appears there is another way to do it. Many thanks.

6. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

bumping this thread to see if anyone has an answer to reckon's question -- has anyone actually [heard of someone who] successfully wired the laxman cable to a 3.5mm trrs plug?

I can confirm that working with thin, flexible 4 conductor wire is not for the faint of heart, and could result in considerable frustration. It was a remarkable coincidence that, when the Laxman appeared, it worked correctly with the Procyon: red mapped to red, etc. But as Andy reported, we had to replace a number of consoles and/or GanzFrames using that connector. It was keyed to work in one direction only, and some folks would tend to jam it in the wrong way, forcing the jack off the PCB. Not the ideal user experience, so we changed to the current connector. We've been back at work on our own eyes-open-wear prototypes, and have narrowed the options down to two, so we hope to have one of them into production first half of next year. Also, we will soon have available a Procyon version of the new, 12 LED GanzFrames we are using with the Kasina, which significantly improves the eyes closed experience (3 blue, 2 green and 1 red LED per eye). And if you are interested in a really, really intense Procyon experience, we will very shortly be offering an external power supply and RGB LED array custom made for the Procyon: 2,500 lumens. Turns the entire wall into a compelling, eyes open experience!

-Robert

8. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I can confirm that the plug is the Hirose MQ172X-4SA-CV(50) and is in the Mouser catalog, and it shows that they have stock.
    It seems that the Hirose MQ172X-4SA-CV (50) is discontinued but the Hirose MQ172X-4SA-CV (30) is available. Do you know if it's compatible?

Blog Entries

The (50) or (30) looks to be an indicator of RoHS compliance. In my mind, they should be identical products. You can confirm with a call to Mouser if you want to be certain.

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 6.27.12 PM.jpg
    -Andy.

10. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Thank you very much Andy! I just placed the order.
    Could you tell me the connections for this plug?
    Last edited by fumanchu; 07-08-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Thread Information