Thread: TS interface software does not display any data

1. Default TS interface software does not display any data

Hi,

I have installed the Proteus USB->serial driver on my laptop (Windows7) and connected the ThoughtStream device to COM3. When i turn on the device and click on "Start Session", the box labelled "Time" starts displaying the session time. However, no other data (e.g. Graphs, %Change, Probe, Battery etc) is displayed. The session does not time after 20 seconds. This tells me that data is being fed to the COMM port but somehow not displayed by the software. Anything i can do to fix this? Have spent many hours doing this with no luck !!

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: TS interface software does not display any data

Quote Originally Posted by dbhavik View Post
    Hi,

I have installed the Proteus USB->serial driver on my laptop (Windows7) and connected the ThoughtStream device to COM3. When i turn on the device and click on "Start Session", the box labelled "Time" starts displaying the session time. However, no other data (e.g. Graphs, %Change, Probe, Battery etc) is displayed. The session does not time after 20 seconds. This tells me that data is being fed to the COMM port but somehow not displayed by the software. Anything i can do to fix this? Have spent many hours doing this with no luck !!

Thanks
    Hello!

Are you certain that the USB->RS232 adapter is definitely set up for COM3?
    Are you setting the software to read COM3?
    Do you have the sensor around your hand as instructed in the manual?
    Are the readings changing on the Thoughtstream?
    What is shown when selecting Dispaly/Internal Status?

Do you have the Mental Games software? If so, does the TS work ok with that software?

The software is quite old and there may be a compatibility issue with Windows 7. I have not tested it on Windows 7 myself.

Additionally, there may be an issue with the USB->RS232 converter. What kind did you purchase?

Let me know the answers to these questions and I will try to help further.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: TS interface software does not display any data

Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. Please see my answers below...

Are you certain that the USB->RS232 adapter is definitely set up for COM3?

Yes

Are you setting the software to read COM3?

Yes. In fact it is the only COM port enabled in the "Set COM Port" screen.

Do you have the sensor around your hand as instructed in the manual?

Yes.

Are the readings changing on the Thoughtstream?

Yes. I can see the LED on the device change color as i relax.

Nothing at all. The grey boxes are blank.

Do you have the Mental Games software? If so, does the TS work ok with that software?

I do have the software but it does not recognize Thoughtstream. A port scan using the mental games software says "No COM ports found"

Additionally, there may be an issue with the USB->RS232 converter. What kind did you purchase?

The cable came with my Brainmaster EEG device. It works properly with Brainmaster using the same Prolific driver software

Thanks

Blog Entries

Nothing at all. The grey boxes are blank.

I do have the software but it does not recognize Thoughtstream. A port scan using the mental games software says "No COM ports found"

The cable came with my Brainmaster EEG device. It works properly with Brainmaster using the same Prolific driver software

Thanks
    Ok, thanks for those answers.
    The Thoughtstream is not the issue, it's the compatibility of Windows 7 with the software, or the way Windows 7 presents the "virtual COM port" (that the Prolific driver creates) to the software.

I don't know if you have another PC available to test with, but my first thought would be to test the software on a PC running WinXP to see if it works there. If it does, then perhaps installing the Mental Games or TS Interface program in "XP compatible mode" under Windows 7 might fix the problem?

Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you, and if you don't get anywhere I will look into it further once I am in a place where I have a Windows 7 PC and the TS using a USB->RS232 adapter, but that might be a while.

FYI - MP does not make the Mental Games software, but it sounds like the problem is the same.

-Andy.

P.S. Oh - are you using the GREY cable that goes from 3.5mm TRS (headphone plug) to RS-232 (9-pin serial)? If you have a BLACK cable, it's not for the TS.

5. Default Re: TS interface software does not display any data

Andy,

It was the cable. I got a new one with the driver software and now both ThoughtStream interface software and mental games are able to recognize the device.

Blog Entries

Andy,

It was the cable. I got a new one with the driver software and now both ThoughtStream interface software and mental games are able to recognize the device.
    That's good news!

Was it the USB to RS-232 cable or the RS-232 to 3.5mm TRS (The grey cable from MP) that was the problem?

7. Default Re: TS interface software does not display any data

It was the USB->RS232 cable. I am still not clear why the old cable worked with my Brainmaster device.

Thread Information