Thread: Getting PTS extension

Default Getting PTS extension

I have gotten my Proteus out of storage and have attempted to update.
    Back in 06 I was using XP. I now have another Vista Home Premium laptop and tried to update my Proteus system to Proteus 2.9. And I get a .pts file extension and cannot open it.
    I also have a Netbook using XP and tried that and still get the same .pts.

I have a USB to serial adaptor and after installation still have the same problem.

Eventually I would like to be able to run the Proteus Editor and create my own programs.

I'm afraid this will be the first of many questions on my Proteus.
    I would hate to have to spend the money to upgrade to a Procyon.
    Many thanks in advance.
    George

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting PTS extension

Hello George and Welcome!

Ok, so it sounds like you have downloaded just the OS update (2.9) and not the editor. You'll need to download and install the editor so that you can update the OS on the Proteus.

It's good that you have a USB to RS-232 adapter, as you'll need that to connect to your computer if it only has USB connections. I assume you still have the black cable that has RS-232 on one end and a 3.5mm TRS (headphone) plug on the other?

If you have any trouble getting your USB to RS-232 adapter to work, this thread may help: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...hread.php?t=37

So download and install the editor, then use it to update the OS. You'll know if the update was successful when you power up you Proteus it should flash 2.9.

Let us know if you have any troubles.

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gbr1 View Post
    I have gotten my Proteus out of storage and have attempted to update.
    Back in 06 I was using XP. I now have another Vista Home Premium laptop and tried to update my Proteus system to Proteus 2.9. And I get a .pts file extension and cannot open it.
    I also have a Netbook using XP and tried that and still get the same .pts.

I have a USB to serial adaptor and after installation still have the same problem.

Eventually I would like to be able to run the Proteus Editor and create my own programs.

I'm afraid this will be the first of many questions on my Proteus.
    I would hate to have to spend the money to upgrade to a Procyon.
    Many thanks in advance.
    George

Default Re: Getting PTS extension--success

Andy,
    Thanks for your help. I have to use my XP- can't get the usb to serial to work on my Vista without spending heaps for an IT to come around- but the Acer XT is fine.
    Managed to get the Editor working and even downloaded an experimental file I made up.
    And it comes up under U01.
    I even took some of the primary programs and downloaded them to the U01-5 and then erased them.
    So it's all go here- thanks to you.
    One more question please.
    I notice some members have presented some interesting files for download.
    I've downloaded them but how do I get them into Proteus?

Would also be interested in the Procyon but the LV and XP info. confuses and frightens me a bit-I'm just barely computer literate.
    Many thanks again.
    George

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting PTS extension--success

One more question please.
    I notice some members have presented some interesting files for download.
    I've downloaded them but how do I get them into Proteus?
    That's great news that you got it all working. You probably could download Vista drivers for your USB->RS-232 adapter, but if you are ok with using XP then no reason to mess with success!

You would upload the sessions to the Proteus the same way as you did with the other sessions. Make sure what you have are Proteus and not Procyon sessions.

Where are you getting stuck?

Would also be interested in the Procyon but the LV and XP info. confuses and frightens me a bit-I'm just barely computer literate.
    Many thanks again.
    George
    What's LV? The Procyon is quite easy to use and give you more possibilities for colours than the Proteus. No need for a USB->RS-232 adapter either.
    What exactly are you concerned about with the Procyon?

-Andy.

Thank Andy
    I tried Marisa's ''Trance' and the session editor opened it but I can't seem to find it!!

Also I have copied the Procyon info:::
    '''
    This new editor is updated to be more compatible with various PC operating systems. This Editor works with both the Rev1 and Rev2 consoles, and includes the latest OS (firmware) for each console. For details on the Editor and OS features, go here
    Use the appropriate driver for the type of Procyon that you own (Rev1 or Rev2) and uninstall any old drivers (using Add/Remove Programs in your control panel) before installing these new ones.
    N.B. These drivers will not work with any 64-bit version of Windows (XP x64 or Vista x64)'''

The underline bits confuse me a bit.

Also had a look at the Procyon editor-is it possible to program a session with different left/right frequencies with the Procyon?
    Thanks for your help--I'm getting there!!
    George

Blog Entries

Thank Andy
    I tried Marisa's ''Trance' and the session editor opened it but I can't seem to find it!!
    You just need to point the session manager to the location where you downloaded the file. I thought you already had uploaded sessions to the Proteus??
    Check out the session editor manual, esp. Page 6:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Proteus.htm - the editor manual is called "Proteus Session Editor 2.02".

Also I have copied the Procyon info:::
    '''
    This new editor is updated to be more compatible with various PC operating systems. This Editor works with both the Rev1 and Rev2 consoles, and includes the latest OS (firmware) for each console. For details on the Editor and OS features, go here
    Use the appropriate driver for the type of Procyon that you own (Rev1 or Rev2) and uninstall any old drivers (using Add/Remove Programs in your control panel) before installing these new ones.
    N.B. These drivers will not work with any 64-bit version of Windows (XP x64 or Vista x64)'''

The underline bits confuse me a bit.
    There are 2 versions of the Procyon, Rev1 and Rev2. The Rev1 was only out for a short while in 2006 I think, so any Procyon you purchase now will be a Rev2.

Different versions of Windows (XP/Vista/7) have been released for computers that are 32-bit and 64-bit. Many new PCs are 64-bit, but there are very few software applications and even less drivers that utilize the 64-bit OS. At this time we don't support the 64-bit OS because of the manufacturer's drivers. Hopefully we will be able to in the future.

You can tell what kind of Windows you have by right-clicking on "Computer" or "My Computer" and selecting "Properties". Look at "System Type" and it will say 32-bit or 64-bit.

Also had a look at the Procyon editor-is it possible to program a session with different left/right frequencies with the Procyon?
    Thanks for your help--I'm getting there!!
    George
    Different Left/Right frequencies for sound, but for the lightframes, you'd need to purchase mono-color frames that are wired left/right instead by color. You'd also need a connector adapter to do this. Left/Right on the lightframes is of questionable benefit.

-Andy.

Default Re: Getting PTS extension-success again

Hello Andy
    Managed to solve the download problem-I now send everything to a folder on my desktop which makes things easier to find. So I have managed to download 12 utility programs from the Forum and run them. May not be the best way to do it but it works for me.

And I have a pair of white glasses I must have purchased in 06/07 but do I still need an adaptor? Red/green gives me headaches no matter how low I set the lights. And I would like to be able to, on some programs, set the left visual different from the right.

Another, potentially more serious, problem has developed.
    I keep getting a faint but noticeable background noise like a hum or beeping-sometimes like a European police horn. This happens in both the Utility and Main session programs and is very annoying- and it happens even with the volume up at uncomfortable levels. Don't know if I can listen with that in the background.
    Any suggestions? I'm not sitting near anything electromagnetic.
    Hope that can be fixed and many thanks for your assistance and a great Support Forum.
    George
    PS:: Fixed the hiss. Read the Forum (which I should have done first) and found out that others have the hiss. Changed headphones (now using AKG-the other did not even have a name!!) and no more hiss. Whew!
    Now just the light/adaptor which is certainly not a high priority.
    Next I plan to print out a program and study it while listening with light on desk- just to get a general idea of programming.
    But I'm hooked- where can I get another 30 Utility programs??
    George
    Last edited by gbr1; 11-25-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting PTS extension-success again

Hello Andy
    Managed to solve the download problem-I now send everything to a folder on my desktop which makes things easier to find. So I have managed to download 12 utility programs from the Forum and run them. May not be the best way to do it but it works for me.
    That's great! Glad you figured it out.

And I have a pair of white glasses I must have purchased in 06/07 but do I still need an adaptor? Red/green gives me headaches no matter how low I set the lights. And I would like to be able to, on some programs, set the left visual different from the right.
    Sorry - the adapter is needed for the Procyon, as it uses 3-color lightframes. No adapter needed for your Proteus.

Another, potentially more serious, problem has developed.
    I keep getting a faint but noticeable background noise like a hum or beeping-sometimes like a European police horn. This happens in both the Utility and Main session programs and is very annoying- and it happens even with the volume up at uncomfortable levels. Don't know if I can listen with that in the background.
    Any suggestions? I'm not sitting near anything electromagnetic.
    Hope that can be fixed and many thanks for your assistance and a great Support Forum.
    George
    PS:: Fixed the hiss. Read the Forum (which I should have done first) and found out that others have the hiss. Changed headphones (now using AKG-the other did not even have a name!!) and no more hiss. Whew!
    You can also try turning off the display. Press the "select" button while the session is running to toggle the LED display on and off.

Now just the light/adaptor which is certainly not a high priority.
    Next I plan to print out a program and study it while listening with light on desk- just to get a general idea of programming.
    But I'm hooked- where can I get another 30 Utility programs??
    George
    By making them yourself, of course!!

Thread Information