Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synchromuse Sessions

Default Synchromuse Sessions

I've been pondering the lack Synchromuse content and berating my own inaction.

The Procyon's light control capabilities eat AudioStrobe and any other machine for breakfast. There are things that can be done with three independently controlled colours that cannot be done any other way.

Much noise has been made about the unfriendliness of the Procyon Editor. Well, with the benefit of using a lot of different machine's session editors, the Procyon's is just about as simple as it could reasonably be given the number of parameters controlled. In order to make it friendlier, options for control would have to be moved to submenus or simply removed.

Writing a lights-only session with the standard editor just isn't that hard. The hard part is not the use of tools, it's getting into the creative space from which really inspiring lightshows emerge. And the only way to get into that space is by trying.

I'm thinking it would be great to start up a library of Procyon sessions and their Synchromuse headers for popular tracks. It would be up to the individual to source the music track themselves, thereby making copyright and royalties a non-issue. At first people would share their sessions freely, and once established for their work, might start selling their Synchromuse material commercially.

A free utility to convert MP3s to WAVs and apply the SM header might be created.

What thinks you?

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Default Re: Synchromuse Sessions

I applaud your enthusiasm and I'm sure Mindplace would be very excited to see some sychromuse media too.

Every time it's been discussed, the issue of where to get the music, royalties, how to find good but royalty-free music have been some of the bigger challenges.

In my opinion, the actual procedure for creating synchromuse I think is more difficult than the average person wants to tackle. I'd like to see some sort of Synchromuse editor that allows you to import a music or media file, see the waveform, play the media, mark segment points and add segment info at the appropriate points. Writing a graphically-orientated program like that (showing waveforms, segment points, etc.) is above my skill level unfortunately.
    I think similarily, most people do not create their own audiostrobe media, and just rely on the available tracks produced professionally. However, if one were interested in creating their own, several software packages are available to assist in this process.

Regardless, I'm sure any project that would result in some synchromuse media would have the full support of Mindplace and enthusiasm from users.

Let me know how I can help.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: Synchromuse Sessions

Is the Procyon Editor v2.2.05, (that I am having problems installing) the, Synchromuse creation program?
    thanks
    Izumi755

Blog Entries

Hello;

The Synchromuse tutorial is here:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm

Then have a look at:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=791

-Andy.

I don't believe that the procyon editor needs to be re-written necessarily. There are all kinds of sequencer programs out there which have all of the graphical functionality already built in. What I would love to see (and would be more than willing to try to develop myself), is a VST plugin, which could be run in any sequencer. All of the light and sound parameters could be automated within the host sequencer - no need to develop a whole new application.

For instance, you could create new automation tracks for each parameter (such as RED DC offset, BLUE Frequency, etc.) that you wanted to control. Simply draw a graph of how each parameter should change over time. Once you had manually drawn the graphs, perhaps the VST plugin could quantize all of the data down to a resolution of tenths of a second and export it to a .PRW file. Then, simply open the PRW file in Procyon Editor and export a RAW file. Walla - there's your synchromuse session.

Sequencers are ideal for this application because they are tempo-based. Since entrainment frequencies are essentially just tempos, all of your parameter adjustments could be synchronized with regard to tempo.

All you have to keep in mind is that tempos are expressed in BPM (Beats per minute), while entrainment frequencies are expressed in Hz (cycles per second). So an entrainment frequency, let's say a nice low theta like 6 Hz, is musically equivalent to eighth notes at 180 BPM, 16th notes at 90 BPM, or 32nd notes at 45 BPM.

I would imagine that most people who develop brainwave content (audiostrobe, etc.) are already creating the audio portion in some kind of sequencer to begin with. To allow the visual part of the development to be done alongside the audio would be huge.

The major drawback I can see with this approach is that sessions could become so detailed that there would not be enough room in the procyon to store all of the segments.

Another difficulty is getting the Procyon to actually sync in realtime with a sequencer - that's something I would have no idea how to tackle. But even if there was no realtime control, I still believe that a sequencer application would be the ideal environment for developing synchromuse sessions.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by esteband; 01-31-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added a few more points

Craig,

The Procyon has been out for +3 years now and not one synchromuse track has been made available (for free or for $'s). Nor has anyone written a program to allow NP2 to use all three colours.

To me it says that the Procyon is a very inflexible system and no one seems to be able work with it. Maybe the next generation of mindmachines will be better?

Just my opinion but I think the Procyon is a lame horse that needs to be shot.

Cheers,
    TomC

I think the issue lies not with whether the Procyon is or isn't easy to work with, but whether there is a reason to do the fiddling that people claim to want to do at all. I have done most of the things now that people have said it would be cool to do. Most weren't that cool.

The Procyon remains my preferred machine, and by means fair and foul I can make it do everything it was designed to do and more.

My continued inaction with Synchromuse is simply because I have found other ways of doing things.

The next generation of mind machines will include a plethora of "me-too" products and at least a couple of real innovations. What would you like to see brought to the party?

Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    The next generation of mind machines will include a plethora of "me-too" products and at least a couple of real innovations. What would you like to see brought to the party?

Cheers,
    Craig
    Craig,

You know the usual; smaller, better, and cheaper!

Maybe built around something like the new Microsoft Zume HD 32gb mp3/mp4 player bundled with NP2 (for session editing).

Also, lcd glasses/goggles instead of the current little led's so you could incorporate video and unlimited graphic output.

Built-in simple biofeedback (like the thoughtstream).

Cheers,
    TomC

There's always problems catering to small markets. What people fail to realise is how much it costs to make anything that isn't a mainstream consumer item. This particular small market, AVS, is extra difficult, because of the diversity of the users. If the user population grew by, say, 1000% then there's probably room for half a dozen quite distinctly different types of mind machine, ranging from ambient/relax devices through to "extreme recreational" and research and experimentation devices.

Even tagging onto a monster, like Zune or iPod, costs. There's all manner of fees and additional compliance costs, along with hefty commissions, as well as restrictive terms and conditions.

While the Procyon isn't all things to all people, it is still the most innovative and technically advanced machines on the market.

Cheers,
    Craig

Craig,

Like you've said in the past, the most important AVS components are simple clicks and flashes. All the MindPlace AVS machines do this very well.

Cheers,
    TomC

Thread Information