Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

I've had my Laxman goggles for a few weeks now so I thought I'd share my impressions of them so far with my Procyon (by the way, I don't own the Laxman L&S unit).

I bought the Laxman RGB goggles from our friends at the AudioStrobe web shop. They cost me 79euros plus 16 euros shiping to Australia (95e total). They took about 6 days to get here. Not too bad for German registered air mail to Australia.

They were packed very well and arrived safe and sound. I was a little disappointed that they did not include a case and the sleep-mask (overlay?) though.

I'm not quite sure what the sleep-mask is, but I guess it is just an external light-blocker that goes over the outside of the goggles. The white silicon goggle outsides do allow a little bit of external light to get in. A bit of black electrical tape should do the same thing so no big deal.

The quality of these RGB Goggles is very high, like most German stuff. They sort of look like super-duper swim goggles with lots of high quality silicon rubber everywhere.

The silicon nose bridge is nice and flexible but I hear (from Craig) you should not try to bend these too much or you may damage the internal wiring. Too bad since it looks like you could/should bend them in halve for storage. Given the cost of these RGB goggles I'll be keeping mine extended for sure!

While these a very good quality googles, they do come with a price (not just $'s). They are very heavy! The Procyon RGB glasses weigh ~40g (1.4 oz) and the Laxman goggles weigh ~110g (3.9 oz), or almost 3 times heavier.

As a longtime mindplace user (+8 years) I find these Laxman goggles very heavy and a bit uncomfortable. I am slowly getting used to the extra weight, but I cannot help thinking that they should be able to make the Laxman goggles a lot lighter (and maybe less expensive).

Performance-wise, there is no contest. In my opinion the Laxman goggles perform better with the in-built Procyon sessions than the stock Procyon RGB glasses, whether you are using them close-eyed or open-eyed (eg. Procyon glasses with diffusers).

The colour quality (esp openned-eyed) of the Laxman goggles has to be seen to be believed. Laxman colours are just that much better/truer than the Procyon glasses in my opinion. Laxman open-eyed patterns are also more defined, although the closed-eyed patterns of the Procyon is still very good.

Anyway, that's the way I 'see' it!

Cheers,
    TomC

2. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Hi,
    I have glasses Laxman for about 6 months, and I had the same problem as Craigt, color blue on the left does not work! Even with a great deal of delicacy. This may be a design problem. I'll replace them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by karmax View Post
    Hi,
    I have glasses Laxman for about 6 months, and I had the same problem as Craigt, color blue on the left does not work! Even with a great deal of delicacy. This may be a design problem. I'll replace them soon.
    Yikes, that's a bit of a worry Mate! I thought that Craig's problem was caused by bending the nose-bridge too much, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if the problem might be due to the Procyon driving the Laxman goggles at higher voltages than they were designed for. Although I cannot seem to find exact specs on Laxman voltages, I see that the unit uses Lithium Ion batteries. If it is like most of my MP3 palyers, it is a single 3.7 volt cell (actually 4.1 volt fully charged). The Procyon uses 3xAA alkaline battery (~4.5-4.8 volts).

This difference in battery source may have little to do with the final voltages that report to the glasses/goggles themselves. I really don't know.

I have heard (from Craig) that while the Laxman goggles work with the Procyon, the Procyon glasses do not work with the Laxman unit. Maybe the Laxman unit output voltages are not high enough to drive the Procyon glasses. Don't know if it's related, but I generally need to crank my mp3 player volume up to max in order to drive any of my Mindplace glasses with AudioStrobe. Maybe the Laxman unit also needs to have it's volume cranked up as well in order to drive the Procyon glasses?

In any case, I'll keep an eye on mine and if I have any problems I will send them back to the AudioStrobe shop, since they are advertised as working well with the Procyon.

Best cheers,
    TomC
    Last edited by TomC; 11-05-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added mp3 volume comment

Hi all,

The Laxman goggles have a flexible PC linking the surface-mount style LEDs which are permanently attached to the edge of a diffuse plastic lens which is molded in place. Bending the bridge causes the flexible PC to detach, resulting in the loss of one or more colours on the left hand side. New goggles are now shipping with a little card clipped onto the bridge showing "don't bend" with the words "sensitive electronics inside".

The Laxman uses two standard, non-rechargeable AA batteries - 3V. That's not the issue with driving Procyon glasses - MindPlace bicolour glasses, the same specifications, work perfectly with the L&S Synergizer, which is also 2x AA cells. I haven't got around to checking the Procyon/Laxman wiring, but it's on my to-do list. I suspect that the polarity protection diodes in the MP glasses will have something to do with it.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks for clearing that up Craig. I no bendy them for sure!

Cheers,
    TomC

Lest the problem sound worse than it is, the flexible PC flexes quite nicely in the direction required to wrap around the face - it's up/down, like if one side is grabbed and pulled upwards to remove goggles, that causes fatal stress. I would say that using two hands to put them on and take them off should circumvent any problems.

Cheers,
    Craig

7. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

I would like to clarify that when I received the glasses there was a warning not to bend the glasses, I paid particular attention to never fold and I am the only user! And after several months of use the color blue on the left does not work!

I think the glasses laxman have a manufacturing defect! I never had a problem with my other glasses Procyon and Proteus and I use them regularly for 2 years.

I repaired my glasses laxman and when I have received I will keep you informed about the durability of these glasses

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I bought the Laxman RGB goggles from our friends at the AudioStrobe web shop.
    TomC,

Could you please supply the web address for this supplier or the page from which to order.

Thanks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    TomC,

Could you please supply the web address for this supplier or the page from which to order.

Thanks.

Jim
    Jim,

Go to;

http://www.audiostrobe.com/websiteNew/shopMp3/index.php

When one of the headers shows the Laxman unit, click on it. Go to the bottom of that window, just above the total price, and you will see the goggles only option highlighted. Click on it and it will take you to the goggles only window.

Cheers,
    TomC

10. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Thanks for the update. I bought some Laxman goggles to use with my Procyon too...

I was just checking out the blue in the left goggle on mine and it's very weak coverage and seems about 30% of the blue brightness of the right goggle - check out the image I posted below as it's quite obvious

Is this the same issue when you say it isn't working right for you guys? - I have never stressed the nose bridge section

if you could put your procyon on full brightness at the start of session 8 with laxman goggles facing up on a table and and report back if you think blues are balanced in the left / right goggles in the first 20 seconds or so.

Mine certainly isn't and I will have to get mine replaced as I'm using the standard procyon ganzframes at the moment as I wasn't getting as good results with the Laxman and that unbalanced blue on the left is probably why! so thanks for the heads up.

Wonder where you send them back for warranty from the United Kingdom

Thanks

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by craighome; 11-08-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Thread Information