Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

The Laxman glasses should work with both rev 1 and rev 2 Procyons, so it could be that the glasses themselves are not working. One of their larger (former) dealers told me that they were seeing around a 50% failure rate, but usually not out of the box--the wire across the middle of the glasses is fragile, apparently. If you know someone else who has a Procyon, maybe you can have them test the Laxman glasses?

Thank you , Robert .
    The thing is that I have just noticed that the plug on the Laxman goggles is approximately 1/4 shorter than the one on the Procyon Ganzframes .
    Check the photos of the two together and notice the gap between :

2012-09-09 18.25.28.jpg

and

2012-09-09 18.23.05.jpg

Could this have anything to do with the non-functioning of the goggles?
    Thanks .

Greetings--I've verified that the Laxman plug is a little shorter than the Procyon R1,2 GanzFrames--but my Laxman goggles do work on those model Procyons, at least the several that I've tried in our office. I know that others on these Forums have sucessfully used this combination, so I suspect that the Laxman glasses either are defective, or they've changed the pinout (which seems less likely). Sorry not to be able to be of further help!
    -Robert

4. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi reckon;

As far as I know, there is no adapter to use the Laxman glasses on the Rev3 Procyon. One solution would be to cut off the Laxman connector and attach a 1/8" TRRS connector to use those glasses with the Procyon.
    Would it be very expensive for MindPlace to create some adapters? There seems to be enough interest. The problem with cutting off/changing the Laxman connector is that one could later buy the Laxman machine too (you never know)...

5. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

I have just tried some white kitchen wipes I had at home (a bit thick, not quite transparent, and NOT paper, it is real fabric) with a hair band and the Procyon goggles and the effect was better than I would have imagined! It was pretty cool.

PS: I also tried a handkerchief and tissues (as mentioned in this thread), but the kitchen wipes are definitely the best because they have a texture that sort of spreads and ramifies the light and the colours...
    Last edited by HighVisions; 04-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighVisions View Post
    Would it be very expensive for MindPlace to create some adapters? There seems to be enough interest. The problem with cutting off/changing the Laxman connector is that one could later buy the Laxman machine too (you never know)...
    We used to make adapters to allow 2-channel lightframes to connect to the Rev1/Rev2 Procyons, for which there seemed to be huge interest. It cost a lot of money to make them, we couldn't really charge what they were worth and in the end only a handful were ever sold. Doing more adapters for a 3rd party product would at this point be very unlikely. Also, the sort of connector the Laxman uses is difficult (if not impossible) to find in the cable-end female style. You could check with Laxman and see if they would be willing to make an adapter, but for MP, the most sensible thing would be to make our own eyes-open Ganzframes.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

7. Default Re: Procyon with Laxman goggles

I understand, Andy. Particularly considering that you never know - they might change the Laxman glasses connector just after you have made the adapters, so if it is expensive it is better not to make them.
    I have been experimenting with different materials and I think my favorite one now is masking tape - it is a bit sticky, but not so sticky that it leaves a mark behind when you take it off, and you can leave it on for several sessions, and I think it works pretty well with open eyes! It also works well with closed eyes.

Blog Entries

Very cool, HighVisions!

Let us know what you find works best.

Cheers!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    We used to make adapters to allow 2-channel lightframes to connect to the Rev1/Rev2 Procyons, for which there seemed to be huge interest. It cost a lot of money to make them, we couldn't really charge what they were worth and in the end only a handful were ever sold. Doing more adapters for a 3rd party product would at this point be very unlikely. Also, the sort of connector the Laxman uses is difficult (if not impossible) to find in the cable-end female style. You could check with Laxman and see if they would be willing to make an adapter, but for MP, the most sensible thing would be to make our own eyes-open Ganzframes.
    Hello,
    was anyone lucky finding a source to get both female and male laxman style sockets and plugs at an online electronic part retailer? Those sockets seem to really be hard to find. and I don't know the exact make / model / type. usb style is just not accurate enough with those hundreds or thousands of plug standards out there.

Matt

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely certain, but I think they are a Hirose MQ172 series, 4 conductor.
    If that's the right connector, you can get them at mouser, among other places...

If that's the right connector, then I was probably wrong about it being difficult to find...
    -Andy.

Thread Information