Thread: Vista 64 bit driver suggestion

Default Vista 64 bit driver suggestion

I love my Procyon and I am sure that for the next six months or so it will keep me busy trying the various session and get the most out of what is already programmed in the system. Yet I know ultimately I will want to created my own sessions and utilize Synchromuse. So it is in my best interest for Mindplace to develop or obtain a Vista 64 bit driver.
    Since there are notes on the Mindplace website about your drivers not working for 64 bit systems I have not yet downloaded and installed the software. I might note however that I have gotten other software and their accompanying drivers to install and function with “unsigned drivers”, though it is a hit or miss thing.
    I know the forums have questions about Procyon and Proteus running in Vista 64 bit.
    While I had a good bit of computer experience in the past with PCs, networks, etc, I have not attempted to do any programming in a few years and certainly not developing USB drivers.
    I get the impression Mindplace uses Texas Instruments and Silicon Labs for its processors and systems.
    With those thoughts running around in my head I was looking for something to solve a USB driver problem totally unrelated to driver issue for the Procyon. I found the following information:
    Apparently Jungo and Silicon Labs have a partnership for developing USB drivers including for Vista and 64 bit systems.
    Someone might want to check out the following URL:
    http://www.jungo.com/st/partners/silabs.html
    Last edited by Andy; 06-02-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Fix huge font

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vista 64 bit driver suggestion

Hi Edirby and welcome!

Currently, there is no support for x64 systems, due to a combination of the way the drivers are written from the manufacturers and the way the editor software is written. The reasons as are all historical and I won't bore you with the details. Of course, each time a new version of Windows comes out, backwards compatibility is always broken in some way.

Suffice to say, we understand that there is a desire to have x64 support with the software. It will happen in the future, but with the software being a free part of the package, and since the products can be used without ever connecting them up to a PC, and the lack of x64 systems out there, it's not as high priority as finishing off some current projects which include bringing out some new products. No ETA for solving this, but we do know what needs to be done. Basically re-writing the editor software and going through the alpha and beta-testing process to make sure it all works. Once our current projects are finished this will take a high priority and will be completed.

Hopefully everyone can remain patient, and those that need to immediately work with the editor can find an x86 PC until the changes are made.

-Andy.

Too bad you don't do native versions of the software for those who use Macs or run Linux.

Well, I guess I got a little too verbose and you missed my point. I understand everything you said in your response. I had read much about this issue prior to my posting or purchasing my unit.

To the point, I was just making a suggestion that Mindplace might use or your software developers might use.

The URL I attached previously discusses a specific development software to expedite and simplify the timely development of USB drivers for Silcon Laboratory based equipment.

If I understand the system well enough all software needs to do relative to the USB device is to tell it where to find and how to recognize the unit and then how to integrate the device with the overall PC system.

Almost all 32 bit software that runs of Vista 32 or XP will run in almost seamless emulation on Vista 64 bit systems. The problem is whether the system allows the program to find a driver for a given component.

No need to respond to this email; again I was just trying to communicate a suggestion that might possibly make someone's job a little easier.

Blog Entries

Hi Edirby;

I did understand your post and I did look at the link. The work Jungo is doing is not for the CP210x chip that is being used in the Procyon but it is interesting. In our case, we leave the driver creation to SiLabs and TI.

I do appreciate your trying to help. We have investigated this quite thoroughly and know exactly what needs to be done. Unfortunately, the solution will take some significant resources which we can't spare right this moment, but we will as soon as we can.

Thank you for the info and interest!

-Andy.

You guys might consider having your resellers make an obvious note of this. I bought the Procyon product in part because of the software and customization ability. I have Vista, and I read the Mind Modulations website quite extensively yet somehow I managed to miss any mention of that; this is the first I'd heard of it.

Best,
    RC

Thread Information