Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Uploading a new session

1. Default Problem Uploading a new session

Hi there

I have just today been playing with the Procyon Editor to create a new session.

When I click on Send Data to Procyon, nothing much seems to happen on the computer screen. No acknowledgement or anything (with unit connected and COM port open). The unit displays PC. If I press mode, it says 'pause' and if I press it again it says 'run'. If I press the session toggle button, it flashes A0, if I press it again A1, etc up to A8, then it scrolls down to A0 again. What is going on?

When I had the unit connected to a USB port that it didn't like (on my Mac keyboard), at least I got the question on the Editor about wanting to amend or replace a session, but of course it failed when it tried to open the port (but strangely seemed to change the unit mode from SES to DL2 which is the wrong mode anyway). When I had the port open and unit connected above it didn't do this.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Pat

2. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

It seems to connect fine with the Procyon if the Procyon is set to PC mode. The COM port cannot open in any other mode. However, if I select to upload the session, doing this seems to change the mode to DL2 automatically, which terminates the connection each time. And therefore the upload cannot work. So I set the mode back to PC and the port opens again. And repeat!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

Quote Originally Posted by Health-Spy View Post
    Hi there

I have just today been playing with the Procyon Editor to create a new session.

When I click on Send Data to Procyon, nothing much seems to happen on the computer screen. No acknowledgement or anything (with unit connected and COM port open). The unit displays PC. If I press mode, it says 'pause' and if I press it again it says 'run'. If I press the session toggle button, it flashes A0, if I press it again A1, etc up to A8, then it scrolls down to A0 again. What is going on?
    That is all normal. The Console should be in PC mode when controlling it from the editor. The editor will tell the console to change to the appropriate mode if it's doing a firmware update or other function.
    The A0 to A8 is an adjustment of the external audio. See here for the key functions: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=544 (bottom of that message)
    "Send Data to Procyon" does not replace any sessions. It merely runs the session data that is currently in the editor.

When I had the unit connected to a USB port that it didn't like (on my Mac keyboard), at least I got the question on the Editor about wanting to amend or replace a session, but of course it failed when it tried to open the port (but strangely seemed to change the unit mode from SES to DL2 which is the wrong mode anyway). When I had the port open and unit connected above it didn't do this.
    Sounds like it wasn't happy with that connection, as you say.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Pat[/quote]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Health-Spy View Post
    It seems to connect fine with the Procyon if the Procyon is set to PC mode. The COM port cannot open in any other mode. However, if I select to upload the session, doing this seems to change the mode to DL2 automatically, which terminates the connection each time. And therefore the upload cannot work. So I set the mode back to PC and the port opens again. And repeat!
    PC mode is the correct mode for controlling the Procyon with the editor.
    DL2 mode is the correct mode for uploading a session to the Procyon.

When I click "Session Tools/Upload Session to Procyon" I get the append or overwrite dialog.

Are you not seeing that dialog?

After I select append or overwrite, it takes me to a file window where I can choose a session file to upload.

Tell me what happens in your case.

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

Ok, this is all very strange.

Procyon Serial Number PCTA0901000839

I tried installing the 2.1.00 Procyon Editor but it couldn't connect to the device at all. Only the latest 2.2 worked, as one would expect.

I am using a Mac and running Windows XP Home on Parallels (a virtual machine). When I connect the Procyon, I choose to connect it to the Virtual Machine, i.e. to Windows.

I seem to be able to connect to the Procyon in SES and PC device modes only.

I seem to be able to use the 'send data to procyon' button to play a currently displayed session on my Procyon. No problems there.

The problem is when I try to upload it to the Procyon, using the Session Tools/Upload to Procyon menu option. There are 2 ways I can do this, from the SES mode or from the PC mode. When I click this option, the unit automatically changes to DL2 mode.

The Procyon Editor software appears to be able to maintain the connection if I flick through the different modes on the device quickly, but if I leave the device on anything other than PC or SES modes, it drops out and the Editor thinks the device has been switched off (which it hasn't). So when I try to use the Upload to Procyon menu option, it basically drops out as it changes to DL2 mode, which as explained above, results in the connection being dropped.

However, it is not consistent at all.

Sometimes when I open the COM port to the device, in SES mode, the first thing that happens after the green light comes on is a window pops up, displaying Current No. of Sessions: 29 (49/50 surely?!), Start of Next Session 40703, Memory Remaining 19713. I have the choice of appending or overwriting or cancelling. I presume this is how the upload to Procyon option should look like. Usually if I click on either Append or Overwrite, by the time I've selected the file to upload, the unit has disconnected (because it has gone into either DL1 or DL2 modes - usually DL2), so it's not possible to complete the operation. During the disconnection, the Editor comes up with a window stating 'Given address not on 128 boundary. Adjusted value to 40576.'

I did once this morning (of a couple of hours of repeatedly trying different combinations of starting point and action) actually get the Com port connection to the device to stay up whilst the unit was in DL1 or DL2 modes!! However, this was not repeatable. Appending the file did not seem to visibly do anything on the editor, and I didn't want to change modes on the device to check in case I broke the connection, so I tried overwriting instead, and I managed to erase all the files on the Procyon and actually upload my newly created file! I am not sure if I clicked No or Cancel (when prompted to save an archive of the device files) but I think it was the latter, and so the operation should not have gone ahead. I could be wrong about this though, as No would clearly result in the operation going ahead.

However, I thought about uploading all the library files manually, but this would be 50 separate operations, so I decided to reinstall the OS and the Procyon Driver. The latter wiped the device and put back the 50 sessions, but after this it wasn't possible to repeat the success.

I don't think it is a problem with my Mac not keeping the Com port open, I would rather expect it to be a software glitch with the Procyon Driver, that connects the Editor to the device.

I hope this clarifies the problem I've been experiencing. We could maybe move this to the Mac thread if it is a 'Mac problem'. However I'm not convinced. Please help!! Thanks

Pat (www.health-spy.com)

6. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

A related problem I'm having is when playing a session from the computer to the Procyon, whilst connected in PC mode, e.g. selecting Utilities, then Run Segments or Run Entire Sessions. Selecting either seems to in most cases result in the unit only playing maybe 10 seconds or so of the session/program and then stopping, even though each segment in my program is 5 mins long minimum and the total program duration is 20 minutes. It does sometimes seem to work, but then I suspect it is just playing the 'start' settings and not going through the entire segment to the finish values of that segment.

7. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

I should add that when the unit stops, during playback, the com port connection has not failed and is up (green light on the computer screen).

Blog Entries

Hello there;

When the console changes to DL2 mode, the com port increases it's speed from 19.2k to 115k. It sounds like the Mac emulation or USB port is not able to deal with the higher speed.

The Procyon is not actually guaranteed to work on a Mac, but some people have had some success. Maybe post a reply to this post:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=660

Or send a PM to one of the Mac users to see if they can help.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your console, but something's up with the Mac emulation.

-Andy.

9. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

Thanks Andy. Is it possible to limit the com port speed of the DL2 mode in the Editor software?

10. Default Re: Problem Uploading a new session

In Windows, what should the USB Bridge for Mindplace Procyon (COM3) be set to? As default the com speed is 19200 but I increased it to 115200 and it didn't make any difference. Thanks. I guess this is question for Windows users as well as Mac users.

Thread Information