Thread: Does it matter what HEADPHONES EARBUDS I use?

1. Unhappy Proteus End of session Annoying Humming Noise

I recently started using the Proteus to help achieve a good nights sleep for my fibromyalgia. My Dr. has started me out on session #43, and am using it upon going to bed at night. So, here is the problem, I fall asleep about 10 minutes into the session, but then am abruptly awakened at the end of the session by what I call an annoying "End of session Humming Buzz." Well, this kind of defeats the purpose for me using the machine, as I have to wake up and turn it off, and then try to go back to sleep . It happens with both batteries and the adapter. Is this a normal thing, and is there anyway to change this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Proteus End of session Annoying Humming Noise

Hi Macmamma,

Quote Originally Posted by macmamma View Post
    I recently started using the Proteus to help achieve a good nights sleep for my fibromyalgia. My Dr. has started me out on session #43, and am using it upon going to bed at night. So, here is the problem, I fall asleep about 10 minutes into the session, but then am abruptly awakened at the end of the session by what I call an annoying "End of session Humming Buzz." Well, this kind of defeats the purpose for me using the machine, as I have to wake up and turn it off, and then try to go back to sleep . It happens with both batteries and the adapter. Is this a normal thing, and is there anyway to change this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    What is happening is that at the end of the session, the display light comes back on and that is the noise you are hearing. I've let Andy know about this and he'll come back to you if there is a fix for this. The fix would be for the display light to stay off when the program ends and come on again when the machine is turned back on.

That doesn't help you at the moment. What you can do and this may help is go for a longer session. My thinking is that at 15 minutes, you are just getting into a sleep and so you are more easily awakened. If you do a longer session, you may still wake up at the end but you will likely be groggy enough to be able to take the machine off and fall back asleep. You don't really want to spend the entire night with the headphones and glasses on anyway.

Let me know if this helps.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Proteus End of session Annoying Humming Noise

The light display coming back on is probably it. Unfortunately I'm such a light sleeper, that just about any slight noise would wake me up. Any suggestions to a longer session that would induce sleep that might help me?
    At this time, my Dr.'s main goal (and mine) is to get me sleeping all night long. Later we'll work on boosting me up for the day. I'm itching to try some of the other sessions, and I will gradually. If there is not a pre programmed session perhaps there is one that I can download that can help. I just wouldn't know where to start. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    N.

4. Default Does it matter what HEADPHONES EARBUDS I use?

I just started using the Proteus unit mainly for restful sleep purposes for fibromyalgia. There is a buzzing hum when the unit is powered up that continues throughout the session. Unfortunately when the session stops this hum continues and wakes me up. My husband suggested that I try a few different headphones we had laying around the house. I found a pair(nothing fancy) that seems to not generate this noise. Will I achieve the same benefit using any type of headphones? And with that being said, can I use earbuds if I so choose?

Thanks in advance,
    N.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does it matter what HEADPHONES EARBUDS I use?

Any headphones that you like will work fine with the Proteus, including earbuds.
    Try a search (at the top of the page) for "headphones" and you'll see what some others are using...

-Andy.

6. Red face Re: Proteus End of session Annoying Humming Noise

HEADPHONES that came with the unit was the source of the noise. I tried a few different sets I had laying around the house and found a pair that didn't allow me to hear the unit powering up. Hopefully this will help with my sleep tonight. I'll let you know how it goes, so that if others have the same problem you can suggest this quick fix to them.

Thanks again,
    ~Nancy~
    Last edited by macmamma; 05-29-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does it matter what HEADPHONES EARBUDS I use?

Thanks Nancy,

I also have Fibro, and I use my Sony ear buds with my machine. To help with Fibro Fog, use SMR/Beta sessions during the day. You can use just the sound on these programs while you work at your desk.

I've attached a couple of programs that I work with all the time and they really have helped me lots.

M.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information