Thread: MP3's and Audiostrobe?

1. Default MP3's and Audiostrobe?

Can the new procyon handle MP3's with audiostrobe encoding or do we still need to use CD's?

Blog Entries

Default Re: MP3's and Audiostrobe?

It probably wouldn't work, since the audiostrobe uses a 19khz carrier frequency and most MP3 encoders will cut off frequencies above 18khz. Then of course there's the legalities involved in ripping an audiostrobe CD to MP3...

3. Default Re: MP3's and Audiostrobe?

Hi,

Proteus never had any trouble handling audiostrobe cd's converted into MP3.

Use the software "FreeRip" - you can find it on the web.

Setup of FreeRip for Audiostrobe signals not to be lost:

- constant bitrate
    - minimum bitrate of 192
    - stereo

Works nicely. At least as fine as directly fed from a cd.

I have never listened to audiostrobe music being interpreted by a "pure" audiostrobe mindmachine like Audiostrobes own mind machine the ?Synergizer?, so maybe there are higher levels to this, which might "suffer" from being converted to MP3.

Myself on the Proteus I can't tell any difference. And I have got some 14 different cd's.

K.R.

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:24 PM.

It IS a bit surprising that MP3's could work with AudioStrobe, but they can, as Mindman notes. MP3 encoders have different high frequency rolloff; a higher bitrate is generally better (I use 320k), and some encoders have a "high frequency" flag which should be set.

The effect of the MP3 encoding process will reduce the level of the AudioStrobe signal, though--which you can generally correct for by increasing the response sensitivity (audio dial in AS mode).

Procyon does include an AudioStrobe decoder--we'll be indicating how you can tweak the decoder a bit from the editor in the near future.

--Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Austin View Post

Procyon does include an AudioStrobe decoder--we'll be indicating how you can tweak the decoder a bit from the editor in the near future.

--Robert
    Is there any way to know if the audiostrobe setting is the correct setting as designed by the person who created the preset? I have noticed different effects with different LCD and Audio volume controls.

So I am confused to what setting is correct to get the best experience that I can get from my light and sound machine.

Thread Information