Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Sessions Don't Work for Me

1. Question Sleep Sessions Don't Work for Me

I have tried all of the Procyon relax and sleep sessions and they do not work for me, However if I do session 10 (athletic warm up) right before bed I sleep like a baby. 45 seems to help too. Is my brain wired strange or what?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleep Sessions Don't Work for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Walden View Post
    I have tried all of the Procyon relax and sleep sessions and they do not work for me, However if I do session 10 (athletic warm up) right before bed I sleep like a baby. 45 seems to help too. Is my brain wired strange or what?
    It is a little odd but hey, I'm glad that you found something that works. With some people stimulants actually calm them down so perhaps your brain works along these lines.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Sleep Sessions Don't Work for Me

I have found that sessions 23-27 aid me in falling asleep. However, I was wondering about light intensity specifically related to sessions run before bedtime. Studies have shown that exposure to bright light, esp. blue light, helps to stimulate the receptors on the retina that communicate with the pineal gland and signal it to stop producing melatonin. This is why using blue light in the mornings is helpful to overcome tiredness. The last thing one would want to do before going to bed is to look at bright blue/white light. So this brings me onto the question of programmes 23-37. For most of these programmes, the overall colour is blue or blue/green. However, why does it help one get to sleep? Is it because the intensity is much less than that of natural light and of a blue SAD light? Or because the overriding effect is that of delta wave promotion because of the flashing and also binaural beats?

Actually this leads me onto another question. Is the strobe effect over each eye the same frequency? i.e. the same as the audio binaural beat frequency? Or is there a frequency difference, to create a third 'visual' frequency (not seen), similar to the binaural audio? I suspect it is the former but jut wanted to check. Many thanks.

Health-Spy.com

Blog Entries

Hi HS,

Quote Originally Posted by Health-Spy View Post
    I have found that sessions 23-27 aid me in falling asleep. However, I was wondering about light intensity specifically related to sessions run before bedtime. Studies have shown that exposure to bright light, esp. blue light, helps to stimulate the receptors on the retina that communicate with the pineal gland and signal it to stop producing melatonin. This is why using blue light in the mornings is helpful to overcome tiredness. The last thing one would want to do before going to bed is to look at bright blue/white light. So this brings me onto the question of programmes 23-37. For most of these programmes, the overall colour is blue or blue/green. However, why does it help one get to sleep? Is it because the intensity is much less than that of natural light and of a blue SAD light? Or because the overriding effect is that of delta wave promotion because of the flashing and also binaural beats?
    A "full spectrum" light would be more of the type of light that keeps you awake because it is the closest to actual daylight. I have also read that blue light inhibits melatonin production and yet the "sleep" programs do work. Oddly enough, red light is suppose to be the most invigorating and yet, I've fallen asleep during a program that used a lot of red light.

This tells me that the color of the led is relevant, perhaps more to some, than others. The frequencies generated by the machine (light and sound) are more powerful than the color of the light, which is probably why you do end up asleep regardless of the color of the LED. It could also be that the blue LEDs are not as intense as one would need it to be to affect melatonin production.

If you want, you can go into the editor and shut off the blue lights. You would have to go through each segment and unselect the "Blue LF Active" tab.

Actually this leads me onto another question. Is the strobe effect over each eye the same frequency? i.e. the same as the audio binaural beat frequency? Or is there a frequency difference, to create a third 'visual' frequency (not seen), similar to the binaural audio? I suspect it is the former but jut wanted to check. Many thanks.
    Yes, both eyes receive the same frequency. The binaural beats on the Procyon are delivered auditorily.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Waldeck View Post
    It may be that you're not so unusual. There are insomnia help protocols that use SMR (low beta) to improve one's tendency to want to sleep at the right times and to enhance muscle relaxation and the ability to ignore sounds and sensations during sleep.

These sessions are usually used in the evening, well before intended sleep time, and are can be followed by sleep induction (theta/delta) type sessions at sleep time.

If you've been having difficulty sleeping for some time, it can take a while to adjust into new sleep patterns.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

According to this study, green light inhibits the enzymes producing melatonin in the pineal the most. Blue and yellow has some effect. Red light has a negligible effect.... at least in rats.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

There are a number of studies which have been published along this line... though the main culprit appears to be blue light, with red having little or no effect on melatonin levels. Looking at a computer monitor before bed can tend to keep you up later for the same reason (melatonin inhibition), and there is at least one software app available which you can program to slowly remove blue from the monitor before bed. There are yellow-tinted glasses available for before bed as well, as they selectively remove blue light.

The before bed sessions overall work well for me, and Scott's posted SM/AS+mp3 sleep session works especially well... I would guess that there is a range of variation for individual responses, as always (and as this thread tends to confirm).

Scott, I wonder if those blue-tinted glasses might tend to keep you up late at night? :-)

Blog Entries

The application I use to reduce blue light on the computer is Flux http://stereopsis.com/flux/ It helps out quite a bit. Also, I have seen these glasses designed especially for computer use with the yellow tint. Gunnar Computer Eyewear

Something tends to keep me up late at night I read an article on Astrology and the Pineal http://www.astrology-research.net/re...atr/pineal.htm that posited that the time of day we were born affected whether we are 'day' or 'night' people (among other things) I was born at 2:14 am... so there you go.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

One thing to note about this study is that the rats lived under exposure to the light source for long durations. Brief exposure through light and sound sessions would not necessarily have the same result. I find the blues and greens much more subdued and soothing...

Interesting thought about time of birth, Scott... I was also born around 2 am, which is about the time I naturally tend to turn in. Reminds me of the 'biorhythms' meme in the 1970s, which posited that you could plot sine-like cycles from the moment you were born, which remained frequency and phase locked for the rest of your life. The concept that there are cyclical variations in emotion, mental focus and physical energy (for example) has been born out by subsequent research, but as with all things biological, there can be a fair amount of play in such things as phase relationship and time constants for those cycles.

Excellent points in your last post, regarding the conditions under which that study was carried out. Blue is the most relaxing color, and there is some evidence that just gazing at unflickering blue (wall, projection, etc.) will boost alpha amplitude. The apparent fact that too much blue can inhibit melatonin is somewhat paradoxical, but the blue part of visual perception and cortical structure/processing is a bit different than red and green...

Thread Information