Thread: Understanding AudioStrobe

Default Understanding AudioStrobe

My new "thing" is understanding AudioStrobe. I acquired copies of AudioStrobe Collection volumes 1 and 2 that I bought secondhand on ebay. The descriptions of the CD's on the Audiostrobe website along the lines of "for relaxation", "for meditation", or "for concentration" isn't good enough for me - I need something more specific. I've managed to start decoding the Audiostrobe signals encoded in the music. Looking at a couple of CD's, the Audiostrobe signals seem to be more "entertainment" than "entrainment". According to Transparent Corp., and others, entrainment occurs when a fixed frequency entrainment stimulus is been presented to someone for at least 6 minutes. The Audiostrobe encoded signals seem to be constantly ramping up or down in frequency. My experience is when flashing lights change in frequency, that's when you get the best visuals, but apparently not the best entrainment, if my understanding is correct. Also, the Audiostrobe signals look like they are square wave in shape, so the LED's would be switched similarly. But like I say, I've only looked at a couple of CD's so far.

Mike
    Last edited by Andy; 05-15-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Edited for relevance

Default Re: Understanding Audiostrobe

Mike,

You're quite right, not all the Audiostrobe CDs contain entrainment as such, many just follow the music. That said, disentrainment can often be as useful as entrainment. I have been experimenting with a variety of frequency independent stimuli, and often I can achieve just the same brainstates and subjective experiences with random sessions as I can with specific frequency sessions.

The 6-10 minutes to entrain thing is just a guideline. It seems some people have a dramatic initial response which tapers off quite quickly, while others take quite a while to resppond to the stimulus, and then show continued response.

Most of the information on entrainment is very generalised, whilst the individual response is highly varied. Most people will get similar results from similar session, but the mechanism behind their subjective experience seems to vary substantially.

The only real way to know what's doing it for you is to hook up to an EEG. While my skills at interpretation leave much to be desired, the results of my own tests on myself and others have been extremely revealing.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Last edited by Andy; 05-15-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Edit title

3. Default Re: Understanding Audiostrobe

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Mike,

The only real way to know what's doing it for you is to hook up to an EEG. While my skills at interpretation leave much to be desired, the results of my own tests on myself and others have been extremely revealing.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Hi Craig,

Can you tell us where you hook up? (ie. A1 Cz ....) Where you put electrodes?

Thx

Carlos Barreto
    Last edited by Andy; 05-15-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Edit title

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Barreto View Post
    Hi Craig,

Can you tell us where you hook up? (ie. A1 Cz ....) Where you put electrodes?

Thx

Carlos Barreto
    Hi Carlos,

As I enjoy using the 3D Spectrogram in BioExplorer I mostly use a single channel. I've found you can get excellent immediate photic driving results by putting the active electrode anywhere on the Occipital region, reference and ground to the earlobe on the same side as your measuring. Here you can see an almost immediate following response to any frequency. This, however isonly the beginning and doesn't seem to really mean anything much in terms of the subjective experience. Measurements with the active electrode on C3 or C4 seem to give a better indication of whether entrainment is taking place - once you start seeing things there there's a good chance you'll be feeling something happening. That said, I fully felt the sensations I identify with theta stimulation without seeing any significant response at C3/C4, so there's rather a lot going on that I don't yet understand.

In an informal trial with six subjects using 10Hz, 7Hz and 4Hz I found dramatic differences in the C3/C4 response. Everyone responded quite well to 10Hz, one also showing activation at 20Hz. Responses to the lower frequencies were much more varied, ranging all the way to negligible. The one that showed 10/20Hz activation also showed 7/14/21Hz and 4/8/12/16/20Hz. One subject has been diagnosed with ADD and showed a particularly flat response. I then tried a bit of 25Hz and his brain lit up all over the place. Notable in the trials was that the two women showed much more overall activity, particularly alpha/beta than any of the four males.

These trials have not been conducted (or reported) in a proper scientific manner, so should be considered 'interesting' but no particular conclusions should be drawn from them.

Hope this helps - have fun!

Cheers,
    Craig

5. Default Re: Understanding Audiostrobe

Hi Craig,
    Thx. You know about TLC?
    If you don't see here
    Enjoy
    Carlos Barreto

Very interesting. Even the material on the website is quite a useful resource.

Oh, if only I had the money to try out all these things. Sigh.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thread Information