Thread: The Effect of Color

Blog Entries

Default The Effect of Color

I found this information today while looking through one of my books (The Owner's Manual for The Brain, by Pierce J. Howard, Ph.D., page 703).

He references a book called, "Color and Human Response (1978a), by Faber Birren" that discusses the affect each color has on us. Now, it's not about colored light per se' but it still may be relevant.

Red: Good for creative thinking, short-term high energy

Green: Good for productivity, long-term energy

Yellow, orange or coral: Conducive to physical work, exercising; elicits positive moods.

Blue: Slows pulse and lowers blood pressure; conducive to studying, deep thinking, concentration; accent with red for keener insights.

Purple: Tranquilizing; good for appetite control

Pink: Restful, calming

Light colors: All purpose; provide minimum disruption across all moods and mental activities.

White: Disrupting, like snow-blindness; avoid

The author, Pierce Howard, has a note at the end that says that Birren "does not offer detailed research citations in support of his conclusions, and some of the color research is contradictory. For example, according to some reports, yellow walls elicit positive moods; another report find that yellow walls in hospital rooms are associated with patients who require more pain-killing medication."

Has anyone else come across any studies or color references?
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Default Re: The Effect of Color

Marisa,

I think that a lot of these colour studies are more directed at full light, open eyes experiences. The closed-eyed method that we use with MP light/sound machines is a lot different in my opinion.

I find that different colours with closed-eyes does not make a lot of difference. The sharpness and contrast in light patterns seems to make a bigger difference.

For me, the best coloured glasses, that also give the best/sharpest light pattern definitions, are the MP red monocolour ones. I also think that these give me the best entrainment.

I know that everyone will see things a bit differently, but that's the way I see things!

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Marisa,

I think that a lot of these colour studies are more directed at full light, open eyes experiences. The closed-eyed method that we use with MP light/sound machines is a lot different in my opinion.
    You are right that this particular study was likely done with eyes open as it was about color and the brain. The reason we use closed eyes with AVS is because it's not good for your eyes to stare directly at light (any light).

Having said that, the effects of color doesn't matter to the brain whether your eyes are open or closed. As long as your eyes can perceive the color of the light, it will have an effect, though some effects are more subtle and others more dramatic.

I find that different colours with closed-eyes does not make a lot of difference. The sharpness and contrast in light patterns seems to make a bigger difference.
    While certain colors do affect the brain differently, color doesn't have anything to do with entrainment because it's the frequencies that entrain not the color of the light. The sharpness and contrast in patterns only matters for entertainment purposes.

For me, the best coloured glasses, that also give the best/sharpest light pattern definitions, are the MP red monocolour ones. I also think that these give me the best entrainment.
    I think it's a matter of individual taste. Some people swear by white LEDs, others have better results with amber and so forth. Perhaps you have the best results with the red LEDs because of the effects of red - and perhaps your brain wants a higher level of stimulation.

I know that everyone will see things a bit differently, but that's the way I see things!
    There are plenty of people out there who agree with you as the red LFs do sell.

I think it's great that you have taken the time to write what works best for you and why. I think that many people benefit from reading about what others have tried and the results they have received.

M.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    While certain colors do affect the brain differently, color doesn't have anything to do with entrainment because it's the frequencies that entrain not the color of the light. The sharpness and contrast in patterns only matters for entertainment purposes.

Marisa,
    color light vibrates at different frequencies. The eyes detect a color as a particular frequency and the brain 'knows' that frequency is red, or, blue, etc. Is there a correlation between entrainment brain frequencies and color frequencies? In other words, does receiving too much input of a particular color elicit a particular brainwave effect? If so, what is the correlation?
    just curious,
    WG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WillieG View Post
    Marisa,
    color light vibrates at different frequencies. The eyes detect a color as a particular frequency and the brain 'knows' that frequency is red, or, blue, etc. Is there a correlation between entrainment brain frequencies and color frequencies? In other words, does receiving too much input of a particular color elicit a particular brainwave effect? If so, what is the correlation?
    just curious,
    WG
    I think I need to correct or update my thoughts I expressed further.

The frequencies of the colors do not correlate with the frequencies associated with the categories of brain waves (Beta etc.) however, color does seem to affect the EEG. Now that may be because the person likes one particular color over another or finds one color more stimulating than another. We also know that certain colors may stimulate or inhibit the production of certain brain chemicals. I think more "legitimate" research is needed in this area for sure!

So to sum up the answer to your question - the correlation may have more to do with the individual and their preferences to color than the actual frequency of the color.

M.

Thanks for the clarification

7. Default Re: The Effect of Color

Hi.
    Thanks for the colour description.
    White also stands for peace, calm etc.

Thread Information