Thread: Monocolour MP Glasses

Default Monocolour MP Glasses

I like the Sirius white glasses eye/channel separation and find that it enhances AudioStrobe CD patterns.

Are all the monocolour MP glasses (white, amber, red. and blue) wired the same way as the Sirius white glasses? That is, separate channel for each eye.

Reason I ask is because a long time ago I bought a pair of the old MP tru-white glasses (ones with the long, pointy led's) and each eye got 2 channels, one from 2 of the the led's and another form the other 2 led's (like the MP multicolour, green/red. and blue/red ones). These white glasses never worked as well for me as my new Sirius white glasses.

Thanks and cheers,
    TomC
    Last edited by TomC; 04-06-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: meant blue glasses, not green, which are not available anyway

Default Re: Monocolour MP Glasses

All the current monocolor glasses are wired left/right, as are the Transparent 12-LED glasses. I can't comment on the early MP style as I don't have any.

Quick inspection of several monocolor pairs and a the two bicolor variants reveals that they all use the same flexible PCB and that the only visible difference between mono/bicolor is that the red and black wires are transposed. The extra diodes and my unwillingness to pop off the LED diffusers makes multimeter testing impractical. I haven't got a soldering iron handy, but methinks this could be a very easy modification.

Funny that you should raise this, as I've been thinking about doing the modification for the opposite reason - I don't like the left/right flashing. I am, however, working on a design that will provide true left/right field stimulation.

Cheers,
    Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the info on the monocolour MP glasses. Funny that visual things work a bit different for each individual eh! What do you mean by true left/right field stimulation?

Cheers,
    TomC

I mentioned in the earlier Sirius thread, and Robert also referred to the fact, that eyes work differently to ears.

Each ear works with half the brain - left ear/right brain, right ear/left brain. Thus we can easily achieve asymmetrical entrainment while using headphones.

The eyes both connect to both hemispheres. Each eye has a left visual field and a right visual field. If you pay attention to your peripheral vision, you'll get a bit of a sense of this.

In order to achieve true asymmetrical photic stimulation, each eye has to receive both stimuli in such a manner that each visual field is stimulated independently. One company offers glasses that purport to do this, but I'm unconvinced.

I have had good success with asymmetrical audio. I have better success with AV than with audio only. I expect even greater success with fully asymmetrical AV.

I'm working on it - watch this space

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks Craig,

I'll keep an 'Eye' out for this project!

Cheers,
    TomC

I received 3 sets of monocolour glasses from MP yesterday (thanks for the quick service MP). I got red, blue and amber ones to go with my stock Sirius white glasses. I already have the Proteus red/green and red/blue multicolour glasses (albeit the old, long pointy led style, but still work very well) and the Procyon rgb glasses (including an adapter to use these other glasses with my Procyon).

So, together with my ThoughtStream unit, I think I now own every product and accessory stocked by MP!

I've tested out the 4 monocolour glasses and these are my impressions to date;

White - great for all sessions with very good/crisp AudioStrobe (AS) pattern detail. The colour appears to have a slight blue tinge to me and the only other colours I can see with these are a bit of a rainbow effect from the tip of the light flashes.

Red - these were a bit of a surprise to me. I was expecting a strong red colour but what I see, depending on the intensity, is a very wide range of colours, even including blue. The AS patterns seem slightly sharper than the white glasses. I'm not sure about how good these red glasses are for entrainment (although I don't see any potential problems) but for AS entertainment, these glasses rock, and are now my favorite ones. In manual mode, the red colour stands out much more but I can still see other colors around these. With my NP2 (AS) sessions, the red colour seems less evident.

Amber - I mainly see a number of shades of yellow with these amber glasses. The AS patterns are almost as good as my white glasses but maybe not quite as sharp. The yellow monocolour seems a bit boring to me.

Blue - the only colour I see with these blue glasses is blue. The blue is a very nice soft blue colour and seems very easy on my eyes, even at full brightness levels. The only thing I don't like with these blue glasses is that the AS patterns do not seem to be very sharp. To me, they look a bit blurry. I also notice this blurriness when using these glasses in manual mode and also with my NP2 (AS) sessions. Bit early to say, but these glasses seem to be a bit of a disappointment right now.

Anyway, just early days (or daze!) but I thought I'd share my initial reaction to these different monocolour glasses.

Cheers,
    TomC

Great post, Tom!

Mostly I agree with your impressions.

I'm intrigued by your comments about sharpness and bluriness - the images are formed well away from the focusing parts of the visual system so there shouldn't be any difference - I haven't noticed any. Red remains my preferred single colour option, with amber a close second (nice when the eyes are a bit tired!) - both give pleasingly colourful displays.

I'd like to officially amend my opinion on focus/expand. After some deliberate playing around, I've concluded that my initial opinion was based largely on using the monocolour glasses with the Proteus on some sessions that are intended for bicolour glasses, ones that use a single colour for extended periods, and having just one eye flashing for a long time is not good fun. In manual mode or with the Sirius it's a different story. Above 8Hz I like expand a lot, below that I still find it irritating. Above 18Hz there's barely any perceptible difference between focus and expand.

Cheers,
    Craig

Craig,

For me, the MP red glasses give a sharper frequency visually. Other MP coloured glasses are still quite good, but they seem to me to be a bit blurished, in comparison.

I'm not sure, but I think this might be to do with the LED's themselves. Maybe different coloured LED's are able to cycle faster than others? Or it might just be a personal thing!

Cheers,
    TomC

Thread Information