Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Our Mind Works

Default Re: How Our Mind Works

Allrighty then...

In between the decision to do a thing, the formation of the "I will..." statement, a large number of things took place that may or may not have been related to the actual execution of the "will". Most of those things required no conscious thought whatsoever, you just did them. Most of them had the potential to divert you from the "will", or had the potential to fail, thereby preventing completion of the "will" and setting you on a completely different course. "I will..." is nothing more than the expression of a strongly held hope for the future.

Take for example, "I will have a cup of tea." Skipping straight to where you're sitting down with a fresh, steaming cup of tea on the table in front of you... You momentarily think about the weather. Next thing you know there's a cup of your tea in your hand and hot liquid going down your throat. At no time did you think "I will reach out, I will take hold of the cup, carefully adjusting pressure and balance to ensure that I don't drop the cup or spill the liquid, I will slightly open my mouth, I will test the temperature of the tea, I will tillt the cup and allow fluid to enter my mouth, I will swallow, I will go 'aaah'.

All of that was accomplished by your trained subconscious. You might at this point savour the flavour in your mouth and be consciously aware that you successfully swallowed a mouthful of tea. Your conscious may congratulate you on a job well done.

In an ordinary day we go from doing one thing to another with almost no thought whatsoever. We may have some vague "I will..." lurking somewhere, something like, "I will do my day's work and come home." but everything in between is largely a mindless blur, interspersed with brief periods of concentration on a specific task.

Moving on to the next level at which our conscious is oblivious to our activity, we have the matter of small scale timing. Everything we know about our environment is historic data. The most recent real-time data we have is about the state of the tip of our nose, being that it has the shortest light path to our eyes, which are our fastest sense, being most closely integrated to the brain. The light from the tip of our nose takes a few nanoseconds to reach our retina. Everything else takes much longer. Sense of touch and hearing are downright slow, given sound and nerve-electrical impulses are much slower than light. Bear in mind that a few nanoseconds is sufficient for the average computer to perform at least one operation.

What this means is that every action we take requires a command well in advance of it's execution, and we have visual feedback of it's completion well after. When we see our hand grasp the teacup, the message to do so was sent by the brain long ago, and the event was fully completed before we saw that it was so.

Our our subconscious is looking after the real time verification of actions - if no problem arises, our conscious is not informed. Our autonomic system deals with the precision timing without referral to our consciousness unless it is a complex task that we are not familiar with.

Mostly our conscious doesn't have to do much with the information - it'a all mundane stuff. If however, the act contains a sensual, moral or ethical component, then it will do a review of the outcome and decide in some form "It was good" or "It was bad". These post-event judgments are what largely shape our personality, and we have the ability to retrain them. Parents and 'superiors' have a lot of influence in our post-event judgments, as they often take the role of performing them for us, and telling us how we should feel or act.

By modifying our post-event judgements, we modify our future actions. We have absolutely no influence whatsoever on "Now", because it comes and goes in timescales that our conscious can't contemplate.

A final point to all this comes from Kant's 'Categorical Imperative'. The exercise of forming "I will..." statements is very much against our nature. Viturally all of our conscious decisions take the form of "I must...", or "I should...". There is usually consideration of a will other than our own (the boss, the family, the tax collector, etc.) At best we'll form the decision as "I think I'll...", or "I might..." which is our way of saying "I will..., if it's okay with everyone and allowing for the fact that I might fail."

I consider Free Will to be an artificial construct, a construct of an insecure consciousness, that causes more harm than good. A well trained subconscious and autonomic system will do a wonderful job of getting us through life, with the conscious enjoying the ride as a satisfied observer, called in to take control only when new experiences are encountered.

I mostly just get on with life as it presents itself. Sometimes (less than I used to) I waste precious time with regrets and remorse - reviews of the past structured in no way that can help me retrain for the future. Mostly I amuse my conscious with grand plans, dreams and philosophical musings. Occasionally I allow it to set the wheels of manifestation in action, and sometimes something appears in the real world as a result of my own deliberate thought - that is creativity.

Enjoy your day!

Cheers,
    Craig

This is the vision that the scientific method of dream interpretation gives us, concerning the content of the human mind:

A wild and violent conscience is inherent in the human psyche. I discovered this when I continued Carl Jung?s neglected research in the dark region of the psyche through dream interpretation. The human being cannot have a balanced behavior, even when one follows the common behavioral patterns of society, which are considered normal.

When we observe abnormal behavior and we try to understand its psychology and how we can eliminate what causes problems, we observe that the wild conscience invades the human part, with several strange ideas, sensations and feelings. This is how the craziness inherent in the primitive conscience starts causing violent behavior in the human side, and the person becomes aggressive.

This invasion can have many forms and appear camouflaged in many guises. The first signs of the invasion are usually the appearance of fear and suspicion. Neurotic patients are afraid of other human beings.

The craziness existent in the anti-conscience is a result of the disorganized development of the conscience since its formation. In order to reach a stage where the conscience would be happy, it would have to work very hard and organize its reactions, but it has not been programmed and it was developed without planning, which is why the result was the formation of chaos.

The unconscious psychic sphere that creates dreams is a completely developed human conscience that reached sanctity and can cure us from the craziness inherent in our psychic spheres. Once cured, we will develop all our capacities, be peaceful and always do what is good for us and our community.

The wild anti-conscience and the wise unconscious are constantly fighting in our psyche. The anti-conscience wants to destroy our human conscience, while the wise unconscious tries to save and develop our human conscience to the fullest, so that we may live free of the horrors of craziness.

Psychological health, balance and wisdom can be found only in goodness, forgiveness and piety. However, the human being doesn?t forgive one?s enemies and is totally cruel before those who need support and help.

The behavior that is considered normal is actually not healthy because we are selfish, and selfishness is pure craziness. The wild anti-conscience manages to influence and invade the conscience using the person?s ego as a channel.

Only when the human being learns how to be sensitive and reasonable will one live peacefully and happily, having a truly balanced and wise behavior.
    Dream Power - Mental Health and Wisdom

http://www.scientificdreaminterpretation.com

Lightbulb Re: How Our Mind Works

Amazing post Marissa, I CANT beleive that 95% of our brains is our sub-conscious!

How do you stop your sub-concsious from doing this with traumatic memories of people saying nasty things and the associated fear and insecurity arising with those things?

I've been slipping into trances lately and hearing my self talk. I did that a little when I started my personal growth journey and back then most of what my mind said was nonsense words and made no sense, now its sort of a combination of good and bad things.

I had the experience where I slipped into a deep trance/dream-like state (shortly after using procyon) and there was this angry man saying these nasty things to me and then I kept saying nice things, and he got frustrated and then hit me, he was crying and everything. When I wokeup I knew that was my pain-body. I beleive we carry most of our sub-concsious through lifetimes, that would mean we would carry some of our pain-body through lifetimes and some personal problems, which could exuberate under negative childhood influences.

I had another experience after I did a deep pink colour meditation, as I awoke, I became aware of this amazing female personality within me, she was warm, compassionate, totally unconditional, wise beyond compare, her colour was deep pink, she smelt of rose and she was perfect. She was my inner self. Then I felt a pain in my chest and stomache, my pain-body. It's as though we are split in two. It explains why my left side (feminin side) is always more active than my masculine and even though im male friends always say I have female characteristics, though I wouldnt go as far as saying feminin behaviour. I thought this was interesting and can explain why some females are more aggressive while some males can be more emotional.

Blog Entries

Hi Veeaye,

Quote Originally Posted by veeaye View Post
    How do you stop your sub-concsious from doing this with traumatic memories of people saying nasty things and the associated fear and insecurity arising with those things?
    There are a few different things you can do from an NLP perspective. Here's one you can try:

In your mind's eye, picture the people who were saying nasty things to appear on a TV screen. You can make the picture black and white and then turn the sound off. Hit the mute button or turn the dial to off.

Notice how their mouths are moving and there is no sound. Next, think of a funny sound track ... that would go good with the movies .... maybe something like the chipmunks voices or foghorn leghorn (bugs bunny) - add that to the movie and notice how you feel different about what they are saying? You can always change the picture so that the characters become cartoonish or maybe the three stooges (a vision you wouldn't take seriously).

If you change the sound or picture in a memory, it changes the way you feel about the memory. You can make the memory less or more important depending upon how you want to frame it.

Try this method and let me know if or how it works.

I've been slipping into trances lately and hearing my self talk. I did that a little when I started my personal growth journey and back then most of what my mind said was nonsense words and made no sense, now its sort of a combination of good and bad things.
    Self talk is your thoughts. If you do not give your mind a direction or something to focus on it will tend to drift, sometimes chaotically. If you find your mind drifting to nonsense or troubling thoughts - redirect it to something else (count backward from 100 by 7s, sing a song, think about what you want, make a mental list of things that make you happy etc.). The key is to direct your thoughts in the direction you want them to go in.

I had the experience where I slipped into a deep trance/dream-like state (shortly after using procyon) and there was this angry man saying these nasty things to me and then I kept saying nice things, and he got frustrated and then hit me, he was crying and everything. When I wokeup I knew that was my pain-body. I beleive we carry most of our sub-concsious through lifetimes, that would mean we would carry some of our pain-body through lifetimes and some personal problems, which could exuberate under negative childhood influences.
    You mean the man was a symbolic representation of emotional pain (or physical pain).

I think this situation involves something that troubles you from this life time. It's possible that the induced theta state (your trance) brought to the surface some repressed memories (and/or feelings) that you experienced as a child.

Even if you were correct and the origin was in another lifetime, the method of dealing with it is still the same. You would want to give the "child" in the memory some resources - perhaps comfort or knowledge from the "present you" that allows the child to feel safe and love. You can edit the movie (per se') so that the child is suddenly surrounded by loved ones and give the child the ability to heal the angry man through understanding and compassion ... or some other variation.

I had another experience after I did a deep pink colour meditation, as I awoke, I became aware of this amazing female personality within me, she was warm, compassionate, totally unconditional, wise beyond compare, her colour was deep pink, she smelt of rose and she was perfect. She was my inner self. Then I felt a pain in my chest and stomache, my pain-body. It's as though we are split in two. It explains why my left side (feminin side) is always more active than my masculine and even though im male friends always say I have female characteristics, though I wouldnt go as far as saying feminin behaviour. I thought this was interesting and can explain why some females are more aggressive while some males can be more emotional.
    Generally speaking, the amount of aggression or emotion one experiences usually has to do with biochemical levels.

Your experience however may have more to do with a feeling of dissociation between what your perceived masculine and feminine parts of your self - the question is why? I think there is more going on here than what is appearing on the surface. I'm not a psychologist though and this is just my opinion and could be way out to lunch.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

I've been slipping into trances and alternate states for a while now and my intuition has improved allot so I am sure of what i am experiencing. I am at peace with my orientation , but im aware that my soul is more female than male. I have been more female in my past lives.

Thank you for the excersize you gave me. But I figured it out using the beleif paraliminal with session 33 procyon. This worked so well and amazingly fast and got rid of something that was bugging me for over 6 months!!! I'm still totally WTF about it.

I also previously did the dissasociation excersize with the cinema (NLP) and it did not work.

The CD directed me to the origin of the beleif, and enabled me to create the strengths and beleif to overcome it. I turned my beleif around. 'nobody has power over me'. Now the thought doesn't bother me at all and I hardly get junk memories of people in the past, Im still at loss for words because I have been seeing my healer for months and we hadn't tackled this problem.

I have to post the link again. I am at a loss of words how effective it was. http://www.learningstrategies.com/UYL/Bill

I got it from Bill Harris through holosync, hence the special offer.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
    Last edited by veeaye; 01-17-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: Things to know about ourselves

I enjoyed reading your posts thanks. p.r.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-08-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: No need to quote entire message! :)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Things to know about ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by peter rankin View Post
    I enjoyed reading your posts thanks. p.r.
    Re: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...83&postcount=3

Thanks!

M.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Arrow Re: How Our Mind Works

Hi Marissa,

I was just re-reading some of your replies, and my interpretation of them is very different to what they were before. I was trying to interpret event's through 'mystic' eyes, but now im beginning to understand that certain helucenic representations were distorting my logic for the most part. Your replies were very 'spot on'. I like the part about the biochemical levels and the angry man representing fear from childhood. Now that I have obviously dug much deeper, I can really understand the perspective and logic around your replies. For the most part, I've managed to overcome much of this trauma. It seems to be deep intertwined and of course, most of it is present life while there may be past life/genetic ties and connection's. Another aspect that was motivating my need to ask, was the desire to be heard, which im sure you've noticed.

I haven't used procyon lately, I've retreated to affirmations and continuing kinesiology treatment. On the upside I am openning up a metaphysical shop, the procyon may be a product that I can well sell in the future.

It's so nice to have a more stable mind and be more down to earth and realistic. Trying to explain our repressed memories, thought's and beleifs, can bring about a tangle of confusion and self-defeating behaviour.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veeaye View Post
    Hi Marissa,

I was just re-reading some of your replies, and my interpretation of them is very different to what they were before. I was trying to interpret event's through 'mystic' eyes, but now I'm beginning to understand that certain helucenic representations were distorting my logic for the most part.
    It's an interesting place to be now - having walked in two worlds. It gives you a third perspective.

Your replies were very 'spot on'. I like the part about the biochemical levels and the angry man representing fear from childhood. Now that I have obviously dug much deeper, I can really understand the perspective and logic around your replies.
    Wow, thank you. I am honored and humbled by the depth of your insight and willingness to share your thoughts.

For the most part, I've managed to overcome much of this trauma. It seems to be deep intertwined and of course, most of it is present life while there may be past life/genetic ties and connection's. Another aspect that was motivating my need to ask, was the desire to be heard, which I'm sure you've noticed.
    I think we all have the desire to be heard and to be understood. Trauma can change the way your brain functions and that can make one's journey a bit more challenging. It's like adding extra incline on the treadmill, you have to work harder to get where you want to go. I doubt one could achieve such insight without experiencing and overcoming some hardship. I guess that's why the Buddhists, Toltec mystics and NLPers look at hardship as an opportunity for improvement. Of course, it's a lot easier saying that when you are on the other end, looking back.

I haven't used Procyon lately, I've retreated to affirmations and continuing kinesiology treatment. On the upside I am opening up a metaphysical shop, the Procyon may be a product that I can well sell in the future.
    It's great to have other tools (resources) at hand. So what made you decide on a metaphysical shop? I always love going through all the neat stuff that collects in metaphysical shops. I still enjoy working with the tarot and Qabalah. I find the symbolism quite useful.

It's so nice to have a more stable mind and be more down to earth and realistic. Trying to explain our repressed memories, thought's and beliefs, can bring about a tangle of confusion and self-defeating behavior.
    I spend a few years wandering around confused, it's an unsettling place to be. It's one of the reasons I now enjoy science so much - it's sane, it relies on fact and evidence. It has no belief beyond the evidence so while anything is possible, you can use logic to rule out the improbable. It's exciting because there is always more to learn, to discover and it's okay to update your view. I didn't realize how restricted I actually was, before, when I felt the need to believe.

Good conversation. Thanks!

M.

Arrow Re: How Our Mind Works

Thank You Marissa. You're reply was very pleasing for me!

I openned the shop because that's all I can honestly do, I've been obsessed with these thing's for the last 3 years. Some of these books have amazed me, they have some wonderful things and most of my choices were random, yet perfect. I want to buy most of the stuff, thank goodness I can get it at wholesale!

Yes the mind is very very big, deep, complex.

I'm just glad that it is possible to sort through these inner boxes of junk, keep the thing's we benefit from and throw out the rest.

My appreciation will alway's be with you for taking the special time to reply to my posts.

The thing I've been upset the most about lately is self sabotage with relationships. I have had a talent of running away from anything, or doing something to stuff it up before it happens. Including shying away out of fear of being judged, hesitation and not making the move, heck not even noticing an oppertunity until after. Grrr it's annoying and frustrating. ((Extremely!!!)) My mind constantly makes excuses to not go in the direction of my desire (I'll look like an idiot, they won't like me, they will laugh about it with their friends, they will judge me, it feels bad) I retreat, don't make a move when I should and then I suffer from long held guilt regret and remorse of being on my own and not having the experience I wanted, which basically just stay's with me and builds.

One of the CD's I bought was 'loving the inner child' by Louise Hay. When I looked at it I remembered your post. Hmmm.. maybe I should take it home and rip it, save me a few bucks. hehe.

Vahid.

Thread Information