Thread: Programming software

1. Default Programming software

I want to create my own program where I can voice-over the light / sound with my own stuff. I was thinking I could use a program such a Adobe Adudition and place in the voice tracks and have the light / sound track on the same editing screen. I have used the mind explorer program in the past and did not find it had that ability (maybe they have improved it since).

Has anyone tried this?

2. Default Re: Programming software

Hi Tekatee,

I don't see any way that you could get both the light and sound tracks into Adobe Audition as two separate tracks. Adobe Audition is an audio editor. As far as I can tell it doesn't support Audiostrobe so you won't be able to program the light goggles with it. The best you can do is to record the output from your Proteus as a wav file which probably isn't particularly useful except perhaps as a guide for your voice-over.

The most straightforward way to achieve what I think it is you want to do is to simply record your voice-over as an audio file and play it back through the Proteus aux socket with whatever session you want.

Default Re: Programming software

AudioStrobe GMBH has software available which can correlate a wav file with AS frequencies; I believe it is significantly more expensive than Mind Explorer, though.

You can also correlate your audio material with a standard session, which allows more sophisticated session creation capabilities. I've used Audition to find where segment boundaries should occur and use this information to determine segment lengths; you can then build sessions around this information.

Hope this helps,

Robert

4. Smile Re: Programming software

Thanks Robert. I have already purchased Audition and will probably get the AudioStrobe software. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Tekatee

Unhappy Re: Programming software

Quote Originally Posted by Tekatee View Post
    Thanks Robert. I have already purchased Audition and will probably get the AudioStrobe software. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Tekatee
    Hi Tekatee,

Did you ever get the Audiostrobe Software? If so, what is your opinion?

I visited the Audiostrobe GMBH site and downloaded the demo version of their Audiostrobe encoding software, but it would only allow encoding 30 seconds of a music file . . . far too little, in my opinion, to allow any realistic evaluation of the product. Furthermore, the help files were so sparse that it seemed clear they really didn't want to tell anybody much! And the price tag of 499 Euros, was, I thought, a bit much for the average hobbyist. Nor was I much impressed by the user interface.

Maybe their full version affords a more satisfactory presentation.

I'd be very interested to hear your further comments, as well as any from others who may be using the product.

6. Default Re: Programming software

Tekatee

Audition has a 64 stereo audio track mixing capability.

The cheapest way to do what you want to do would be to create your session in `Brainwave Synchroniser' including your Audiostrobe light show settings , and then record the playback audio of the session ( containing the Audiostrobe carrier signal ) direct to hard disk with `Record What you Hear '. Using Audition record on a new stereo track in the all the spoken Audio you want while playing back the binaural beats audio track , and then hit the mixdown button which will merge the voiceover with the binaural beats/ audiostrobe track. The resultant stereo wave file can be burnt to CD then.

You can also do this with MindExplorer software to generate your initial binaural/audiostrobe audio.

7. Thumbs up Re: Programming software

Thanks Synaethesia,
    I knew that somehow I would eventually figure out how to record a "Voice-over" with the Audiostrobe in the Audition software. I had put my whole project on hold over the holidays and then got too busy with work to continue. Your response gives the whole project some new energy.
    However, I did not buy the Audiostrobe Software as yet and cannot respond to Mandrake's question. I may eventually get the Audiostobe software if I cannot get the Audition to do what I want to accomplish.
    The way you describe recording the vioce track and then the mixing appears to be a bit tricky but I will give it a try. Again, Thank You Very Much for your feedback, Tekatee

8. Default Re: Programming software

Tekatee

The free program Audacity does *everything* you need: you can mix down multiple audio files and add voice over track in real- time , what a bargain

You can use Brain wave Generator ( Only UDSD$40) to program binaural audio sessions and it outputs the Audiostrobe signal as well.

Just select `play into *wav file ' in BW Generator and then import the wave file into audacity to add your voice over , then burn the final mix to CD.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 02-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: Programming software

Quote Originally Posted by synaethesia View Post
    Tekatee

Audition has a 64 stereo audio track mixing capability.

The cheapest way to do what you want to do would be to create your session in `Brainwave Synchroniser' including your Audiostrobe light show settings , and then record the playback audio of the session ( containing the Audiostrobe carrier signal ) direct to hard disk with `Record What you Hear '. Using Audition record on a new stereo track in the all the spoken Audio you want while playing back the binaural beats audio track , and then hit the mixdown button which will merge the voiceover with the binaural beats/ audiostrobe track. The resultant stereo wave file can be burnt to CD then.

You can also do this with MindExplorer software to generate your initial binaural/audiostrobe audio.
    Hi Synaethesia,

I've read all your posts and I must say you have been very informative. I'm impressed.

As regards the discussion on using Adobe Audition as cited above, I'm confused on a couple of points.

I have Adobe audition 1.5; I have not become awfully proficient with it but I'm familiar with the basics.

I was not able to find any reference to Brainwave Synchronizer in either the Audition software or the help files, nor in the accompanying documentation, although I seem to vaguely remember some such utility from the days when Audition was still Cool Edit. So I Googled up the phrase and found several references to other softwares that use it one context or another, including a discussion which asserted that Adobe had changed the name to Binaural Panner when they bought the package from Syntrillium.

I went back to Audition and opened Effects>>Amplitude>>Binaural Panner in the Edit View, and O MY GAWD not a word of it made any sense to me at all. I can see I'm going to have to put on my learning cap and really dig into this to be able to do anything with it. My initial impression, however, is that in its current incarnation its purpose is not so much to produce binaural beats in files (although that can no doubt be done) as it is to produce auditory panning effects. At any rate I saw very little that reminded me of the functions of Brainwave Generator or Mind Explorer. To your knowledge is Binaural Panner essentially the same utility as when it was Brainwave Synchronizer?

My next point of confusion concerns the phrase "create your session in `Brainwave Synchroniser' including your Audiostrobe light show settings . . ."

I didn't see any recognizable options in Binaural Panner for defining those Audiostrobe settings, nor could I locate any instructions on doing so. Could you direct me to some instructional material on how that might be done?

Since I first bought my Proteus last year I have favored the Proteus Editor for session programming. I still think it provides the best control over the machine's subtleties. But isn't it odd that, having done such a fine job otherwise, the planners did not include an "Export To Wav File" function (a la BWGen) in the package?

Have you heard of any utility for converting .PR2 files to .WAV?

Regards . . .

10. Default Re: Programming software

Hi Mandrake
    Sorry to cause confusion..I did mean to say Brainwave Generator not `Synchroniser'..
    I do have Adobe Audition 1.5 but not currently installed...apart from renaming a few functions , the breainwave generator function is definately unchanged from Cool Edit Pro ( although renamed in Audition), where it was indeed called `Brainwave Synchroniser'. There is a basic explanation in the help files. Playing around with it is the best way to nut what all the settings do. The main window jsut allows you to draw in the frequency ramps. Brainwave Synchroniser uses an audio panning method to create a binaural beat effect , rather than the usual method of playing a discreet tone in the left and right ear, that `beats' at the rate of the frequency difference.

I agree , that Brainwave generator doesn't tap into the a lot of what the Proteus is capable of interms of light effects , but it is a neat cheap and simple solution if you want to have other audio ( ambient ?) loops playing along with binaural beats, and also outputs Audiostrobe signal , and will dump the whole mix to a WAV file at the click of a button.

I haven't heard of any utility to convert Proteus sessions to WAV ( including Audiostrobe data ).

Thread Information