Thread: Photoreading

Blog Entries

Default Photoreading

A few people have shown interest in the subject of photoreading so I have started a thread on this subject.

Perhaps someone can start a conversation by telling us what photoreading is and the process for learning this? I have to admit, I don't know what photoreading is. Given the name "photoreading" I'm guessing that it employs a skill level similar to photographic memory?

M.

Default Re: Photoreading

Hello Marisa
    Thank you for starting the thread.
    Photoreading has been available for some years now, it was devised by Paul Scheele of the Learning Strategies Corporation in the USA see http://www.photoreading.org/index.html or http://www.learningstrategies.com/

By definition, PhotoReading is "mentally photographing" the printed page at rates exceeding 25,000 words per minute which is about two pages per second with upwards of 70% comprehension. Briefly, there are five steps in the PhotoReading system:

1. The first step of the PhotoReading system is to Prepare by stating a clear purpose and getting into an ideal state of mind for PhotoReading.
    2. The second step is to Preview the materials so that your brain learns the structure of the information that will soon be absorbed by PhotoReading.
    3. The third step is the biggest step, the actual PhotoReading step, where your brain absorbs information right off the page.
    4. In PhotoReading, you blast through pages so quickly that your conscious mind cannot possibly keep up. As a result, when you've finished PhotoReading a book, you will have little conscious knowledge. Enter the fourth step is Activation which gives increasing levels of conscious comprehension.
    5. The fifth and final step Rapid Reading is optional, because you will skip it with most books. Rapid Reading allows you to build even greater comprehension and understanding from complex books.

The above is a much simplified description of the PhotoReading system. My interest stems from the phrase ?getting into the Ideal State of Mind for PhotoReading? it is described in the documentation as the ?Accelerated Learning or the Flow State? and I was wondering if any members of this community have used the Proteus to assist in mastering the skill of PhotoReading? As it is something I would like to master and would be grateful for any assitance.
    Thank you AG

3. Default Re: Photoreading

my opinion is that, this system works. Even if it has catchy marketing tags, it does work. If you follow the processes you will learn the material. My own experience, says it works aswell. Once you learn it, its like riding a bicycle you just get aquainted again and your set.

Hello Me0w

Thanks for your input. I was interested in your remarks because you mentioned a friend of yours was a trainer. I was looking for a short cut by using the Proteus ;o) I just need to keep on practicing the standard PR.

Cheers
    Allan

5. Default Re: Photoreading

There are no shortcuts to PR Just keep practicising and you will get it. Its a very good system (no bias).

6. Default Re: Photoreading

People often mistake what brainwaves are activated at each stage.

Step one Prepare,
    Step two preview

Good place to start getting some Alpha relaxation. Use the Proteus for 10 minutes and take the lights off and listen to the sound only if you want but as an instructor I encourage you to let go of any anchors during the actual process.

PhotoReading step you don't really need anything but something that gives you the tempo for page turning, chant and keeps you relaxed doesn't hurt. Ocean or nature sounds are good Use the User settings and experiment. entrainment here would be theta (no alpha)

The Proteus can be a valuable tool during activation. Here you want an Alpha setting as a beginner and alpha theta once you become more experienced with activation.

During the activation and most of the steps simple ocean waves or nature sounds help you to stay relaxed. I think you get much more benefit from the Proteus using it for a 15 minute session prior to learning anything new.

Then when you finished studying put on the Proteus again and listen with the intent of remembering. It doesn't only apply to PhotoReading but once you learn PhotoReading you're going to kick some book butts.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel Chris Payne at Lifetools already wrote an outline how to use the Proteus for PhotoReading. I tried it when I first learned photoreading and you know what? Dumped it. You get tangled in the wires while page turning it creates unnecessary anchors. And you don't really use the Proteus optimally.
    http://www.lifetools.com/photoreadin...dwproteus.html

If you have a specific goal or purpose (something that is important when it comes to PhotoReading or reading any book with clarity and understanding. ) Write it down on a piece of paper. Pick a learning program and hold that paper while watching the light show and occasionally think about your goal as having achieved it.

Like I said you're better off setting aside 15 minutes prior to learning or studying with one of the get the brain active for learning setting and then follow it up with a session when you finished studying. (allows the brain to finish sorting the data.

Ultimately it's true, the short cut to learning PhotoReading is to follow the system as it's taught (no shorter cut than that). Leave stuff out and you have to go back and put it in to "get it".

AlexK

Hello Alexk

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated.

One quick practical question, when photoreading a book of say 270 pages - my arm starts to ache turning the pages ;o) do you recommend dividing the book in two and photreading in two sessions or is it better to persist and keep going to complete the job in one?

Thank Allan

8. Default Re: Photoreading

Position the book slightly lower. Rather than propping it up against something on top of the table prop it against the edge of the table, I even PhotoRead with the book propped on a cushion on my thigh. So I can rest my arm on the armrest of a chair reducing the stress on the shoulder and arm.

No it's better to PhotoRead the book in one sitting it should take no more than 4 minutes for a 270 page book.

Alex

Hello Alex

Ok, Thank you for your information.

Regards Allan

Thread Information