Thread: Digital vs. Analog Audiostrobe, my observations

Default Digital vs. Analog Audiostrobe, my observations

G'day all,

I am slowly gravitating over to my new Procyon from my +6 year old Proteus. Takes a bit of time to teach old dogs new tricks eh!

One thing I did not like with the Procyon was it's green/red light limitation on Audiostrobe tracks burned from Transparent's NP2-pro. I much preferred using my Proteus with tru-white glasses on these sessions. On Craig's advice I reprogrammed my Procyon with the editor to put green/blue on left and red on right. I left the gains on both sides the same, although Craig pulled the red gain down a bit, I did not see any advantage but this is probably a personal colour thing imop. For me, this gives a much closer white light and I really like it. So, one less excuse not to use the Procyon. Also, I feel I'm getting my money's worth by using the Procyon RGB glasses (all 3 colours) and I find these glasses more comfortable as well.

Today I started playing with the AS digital/Analog function. One thing I noticed was that the Analog was a bit brighter but I could easily turn up the digital brightness to closely match it. I normally set the analog brightness to about 3/4's so I only need to ramp up the digital to slightly less than full to get the same brightness level.

The biggest difference (and the main purpose of this post) is that the digital AS mode seems to give a bit better synchronised light flash with the NP2 beats. The analog is ok, but in comparison, it seems to lag a bit, or at least seems a bit cloudy (if that makes any sense). My initial thoughts are that digital AS should help improve visual/audio entrainment. I'm going to use this from now on and I'll let you know what I think.

I tried this digital/analog experiment with a couple of tracks of an Audiostrobe CD (Audio Illusions) and found that the digital AS gave more vibrant patterns (esp. with eyes open). As before, I needed to turn the light brightness up a bit. The analog AS gave a bit smoother colouring changes and seemed softer. I'll have to experiment more with my many Audiostrobe CD's to see which one I prefer.

So, the only thing holding me back from retiring my old Proteus is the Proteus manual USR mode (which lets you select a freq and light flash sequence). I'm pretty sure I can program some simple Procyon sessions to do this, just give me time!

Best cheers,

TomC

Default Re: Digital vs. Analog Audiostrobe, my observations

Thanks for the review!

This really just goes to show how subjective this experience is. I'm totally hooked the analog AS mode for almost everything, using the digital mode for just a few really intense sessions.

I really enjoy experimenting with different light colors, and the Procyon is great for that - certainly ends up more economical than a full set of single- and bi-color glasses.

Now having a Proteus as well, I've got to agree that the USR mode is a real plus. Actually each machine has charms that make it a real bonus to have both.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thread Information