Thread: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

1. Lightbulb Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Hello. I managed to run Procyon Editor under Linux with wine. It also communicates with the device via USB using the cp2101 kernel driver. Here is small howto:

- create new directory and put there cp2101.c from the linux kernel source (/drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c)
    - modify the file by adding the line
    { USB_DEVICE(0x10c4, 0x82f9) },
    right after the line
    static struct usb_device_id id_table [] = {
    - create the Makefile according to http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/compil...el-module.html and compile the driver
    - load the driver (insmod cp2101.ko)
    - a /dev/ttyUSB0 file should be created - you can check the details with the dmesg command. Check also the file permissions so you can read and write it.
    - install the Procyon Editor using wine
    - create the symbolic link ~/.wine/dosdevices/com5 pointing to /dev/ttyUSB0
    - run the installed Procyon Editor and configure it to use the COM5 serial port
    - enjoy

Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Congratulations! You obviously know your way around Linux!

My brief forays into Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Wine, while not entirely unsuccessful, convinced me that I should stick to what I know - for all that it leaves to be desired, I still find Windows(TM) the easiest way to get most things working. Watching the work done by the Wine team and others, though, I can certainly see the day when Linux will be a real alternative for plain old PC users like me.

Cheers,
    Craig

3. Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

CraigT: What you say is allright. For me as for a geek has Linux been the (only) right way for more than ten years already. I just like the full control and full understanding of how do things work (or why don't) under the hood. And I don't want to be afraid of viruses, spywares and trojans. Unfortunately many hardware vendors won't support Linux because of its low spread (yet). But things are getting better every day and Linux is becoming more end-user friendly .

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Well done!

Thank you for sharing that info.

-Andy.

5. Smile Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Note that in current Ubuntu 10.10 there is no need to compile a kernel module anymore.

6. Default Procyon Editor Working Under Linux With Wine

While I've been able to use the Procyon editors under linux using vmware, it's a hassle starting all that up. And since wine has improved a lot lately, I decided to try it. I got it to install the editor with no problem, and the editor seemed to run okay, but I couldn't get the com port to open up. Finally solved that tonight. At first I could only get the com port to open for root, but now it works for anybody. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it.

7. Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Right, with the current Debian, all I had to do to get it to work for root was to download the ProcyonSetup.zip, unzip it, and type "wine ProcyonSetup.exe" to install it. Then go into the .wine directory in root's home directory, go into the ~/.wine/dosdevices directory and type "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com4". That was all. Then just run "wine Procyon.exe" in the install directory. To get it to work for normal users, I just did the same thing as above as a normal user, then as root created a file called 99-local.rules in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory with the following in that file --

#
    # Locally defined rules.
    #

#
    # Give world read/write access to ttyS* and ttyUSB* serial devices
    #
    KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0666"
    $

Then I also deleted the .wine directory in root's home directory so it couldn't confuse things. Now as a normal user all I have to do is click on the Wine icon in the menu, and then on the Procyon_AVS icon in the Wine submenu. You have to plug in the Procyon first tho. And then tell it to open the com port in the editor. Pretty simple really.

8. Default Re: Procyon Editor Working Under Linux With Wine

Oh yeah, as root I also added my user name to the /etc/group file's dialout group entry.

9. Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Now I've got to see if I can get MindWorks running under Wine, and also my Sony e-book Reader Library app working with Wine, and both of those work I won't have to bother with starting up vmware and windoze xp at all. That would be nice -- it takes such a long time for windoze to start up, and then it wants to do updates and all that stuff.

10. Default Re: Procyon Editor works under Linux with wine

Well, so much for that idea. Mind Workstation wouldn't even complete it's install under Wine.

Thread Information