Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This doesn't seem right.

Default Re: This doesn't seem right.

I learned about the SMR trick from Neuroprogrammer.

SMR is associated with a whole lot of autonomic functions, including the phenomenon of 'sleep paralysis', which allows you to keep still and ignore sensations whilst sleeping.

SMR sessions well ahead of bedtime improve your body's ability to sleep soundly, and thus are used to treat insomnia. There are lots of other benefits to regular use of SMR, such as better co-ordination and balance.

This is not to be confused with sleep induction, which use theta/delta to get you to sleep, or sleep cycle sessions that keep you asleep.

I've used SMR on a number of people who had been having trouble sleeping through the night with excellent results.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Hi Craig,

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    I learned about the SMR trick from Neuroprogrammer.

SMR is associated with a whole lot of autonomic functions, including the phenomenon of 'sleep paralysis', which allows you to keep still and ignore sensations whilst sleeping.
    I've never seen any information that supports this. Normally SMR is associated with a quiet body and focused mind but a quiet body. Is it possible that your source has confused "quiet body" with "sleep paralysis"?

SMR sessions well ahead of bedtime improve your body's ability to sleep soundly, and thus are used to treat insomnia. There are lots of other benefits to regular use of SMR, such as better co-ordination and balance.

This is not to be confused with sleep induction, which use theta/delta to get you to sleep, or sleep cycle sessions that keep you asleep.

I've used SMR on a number of people who had been having trouble sleeping through the night with excellent results.

So when during the day or night would you be giving the person the SMR session and how do you know that this is what has caused them to sleep better?

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hi Marisa,

Again, I refer to the Insomnia Help sessions from Transparent, which use SMR, contrasted with their Sleep Induction sessions which use theta/delta.

I haven't seen 'sleep paralysis' fully defined, but it is used quite liberally to embrace the whole state of inactivity during deep sleep.

The SMR sessions are used in the evening, well before sleep is attempted, and may be followed by sleep induction.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Hi Marisa,

Again, I refer to the Insomnia Help sessions from Transparent, which use SMR, contrasted with their Sleep Induction sessions which use theta/delta.
    It sounds to me like that program, perhaps, is trying to mimic the natural sleep cycles which do transition into SMR for a few minutes in Stage 2 sleep and REM.

I haven't seen 'sleep paralysis' fully defined, but it is used quite liberally to embrace the whole state of inactivity during deep sleep.
    Not to be anal about terminology but .... "sleep paralysis" is actually a pathological condition where one wakes up and can't move. Not that I knew this before I started digging around for more info today - but why not pass on what you learn.

Anyway, it appears the proper term is: REM Atonia.

Here's what I found on the subject:

Physiologically, certain neurons in the brain stem, known as REM sleep-on cells, (located in the pontine tegmentum), are particularly active during REM sleep, and are probably responsible for its occurrence. The release of certain neurotransmitters, the monoamines (norepinephrine, serotonin and histamine), is completely shut down during REM. This causes REM atonia, a state in which the motor neurons are not stimulated and thus the body's muscles don't move.

So ... given that when we are in REM sleep, the corresponding brain waves are in the SMR region - there is a correlation between REM Atonia and SMR - however, correlation does not always equal causation. After all, a person's brain waves can be in an SMR state and not have Atonia occur. It may, however, be a necessary ingredient in the formula for this to happen.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information