Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Np2

1. Default Np2

Hi Craig, I am considering purchasing NP2 to use with my Procyon, Before I do so I was wondering if you would clear something up for me. Since the Procyon has three different LEDs, which LEDs respond to the programs on NP2 or NP1? Since NP1 and NP2 are not specifically made for the Procyon but a range of light and sound machines I am under the impresson only one LED would be illuminated. If that is the case, I was wondering if, after creating my own session on NP2 would I then be able to import that session into SynchroMuse to add the other two LEDs into the mix?
    Thanks for your time, Chris

Blog Entries

Default Re: Np2

I'm not Craig; But I think I can answer this one...

NP2 controls the Procyon using AudioStrobe signals. There are only 2 "channels" of audiostrobe control, typically Red and Green. In the Procyon Editor, however, you can select which colours respond to the 2 AudioStrobe channels like Blue/Red or Green/Blue or even Red/Red. Whatever you like. You will be limited to 2 channels because of the AudioStrobe specification.

-Andy.

Andy has fully answered from the point of view of the Procyon.

By using the editor to change how AS is decoded, you effectively have a full range of colored glases to play with, including white. The editor doesn't actually allow you to set all three colors on on one side, so you set blue/green left and red/right. It's not quite the same a a single white LED, but by tweaking the level of the red, which tends to be overpowering, a half decent white can be achieved. Most AS sources don't do anything clever with the two tracks, many only use a single track (both channels), so the red and the blue/green will often be flashing in tandem anyway.

The really exciting part is the Procyon from the NP2 or MWS point of view.

As I was writing the Synchromuse 101 guide, I found myself wondering, "Why am I using Audacity?" The answer was, "Because that's how it was done before." Not a very good answer.

So, I have now successfully assembled a Synchromuse session, using only NP2 and the Procyon Editor. NP2 provides accurate iming of every node, so all the segment change timings are right there, and the Script Editor allows precision placement of audio clips. You still have to write the Procyon session, export the header file, etc.

If this is of interest, I'll get back onto it and write a proper how-to.

Stage 2, once I have the necessary data on PRW file structure, will be to write a little 'Wizard' style application that will read your NP2 or MWS session and create a matching PRW file. If I can get together a little more information, I may be able to have it write the header and attach it to the beginning of your NP2 generated WAV file. This, unfortunately can't be a freeby though - this little business of mine is going to have to think about making some money some time soon

So, anyway - NP2 and the Procyon are definitely a good thing together, even without automating the process.

Cheers,
    Craig

Hi All,

CraigT, Sounds great I would pay a few bucks for that! Would the wizard convert the NP2 to three color from two automatically? Also am I correct to asume that the NP2 programs could be run through my computer into the Procyon using the AS setting on the Procyon?

Thanks,

Charles M

The way it would work, assuming I can get all the info I need to make it so, is this:

You would create a standard NP2 session with one, two or three audiostrobe tracks. The utility would convert the NP2 AS track data into a lights-only Procyon session. The utility would ask a few questions on how to translate the AS tracks into 3-colors, and would then create the Procyon session.

I haven't tested this yet, but it should be possible to play a NP2 session with a Synchromuse header embedded at the beginning directly to the dAS mode of the Procyon.

Standard NP2 sessions with AS display beautifully on the Procyon just as it is, in the AS mode - the Procyon AS decoder is very flexible and customisable. However SynchroMuse will always require the combination of an external music source with SM Header (such as NP2 session) and a Procyon session, and will operate in the dAS mode.

I hope I've understood your questions correctly.

Cheers,
    Craig

Craig,

Sounds like you are really onto something here. Please keep us posted. I'd be happy to pay a bit for a NP2/Procyon Synchromuse interface.

Best cheers,
    TomC

You can be assured that as soon as I can put it together, you'll be among the first to hear.

Thank-you to Robert Austin, of MindPlace, for so swiftly promising the required Procyon data. As soon as I get the NP2 info, we'll be underway

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Good work Craig!

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

9. Default Re: Np2

Sounds awesome. Hopefully everything works out.

Craig,
    You can add me to your list.
    An already great company is getting even greater!
    Awesome support guys... & gal!

Thread Information