Thread: mapping sessions to brain waves

Default mapping sessions to brain waves

I have a Sirius and I really enjoy it.

However, it would be very helpful to know which sessions recreate what brainwaves, so a user can target what he or she is after, without necessarily relying on the descriptions of the sessions.

I noticed the group of sessions is subdivided into 3 or 4 other groups. I have a hunch that each of these subdivided group represents a brainwave pattern - can anyone confirm this with me?

I emailed Mindplace about a year ago when I first got the Sirius to request this information, and I received no response.

Any response here is much appreciated.

-Ben

Blog Entries

Default Re: mapping sessions to brain waves

Hi Ben,

Quote Originally Posted by BenQ View Post
    I have a Sirius and I really enjoy it.
    Glad to hear that. If you enjoy the Sirius, at some point you may want to consider upgrading to a Proteus and I'll tell you why below.

However, it would be very helpful to know which sessions recreate what brain waves, so a user can target what he or she is after, without necessarily relying on the descriptions of the sessions.
    Since the Sirius is not programmable, there is no way to go into the program and see what brain wave frequencies are used. I don't think that Mindplace has this information either because the Sirius programs were created a long time ago and they were created by someone other than Robert (who owns Mindplace).

I noticed the group of sessions is subdivided into 3 or 4 other groups. I have a hunch that each of these subdivided group represents a brain wave pattern - can anyone confirm this with me?
    The Sirius manual has good descriptions as to what each program will do. There are four categories and at best, I can give you an educated guess as to what groups of frequencies will be used.

Remember - I am giving you a guess - likely a correct one, but a guess nevertheless.

Peak Performance: Will likely target a Beta (16 - 24 Hz)

Tranquility: Will likely be a mixture of Alpha/Theta - probably around the 6 to 9 Hz range.

Learning: Probably Alpha/SMR (8 to 14 Hz).

Well Being: Theta Alpha but more into the lower range of Theta with maybe a bit of Delta.

Some of these programs may have been carried over to Proteus or some of the Proteus sessions were based on the earlier Sirius sessions as they have the same names ... so you may be able to learn more by studying the Proteus session sheet, which I've attached to this message.

The reason I've suggested you upgrading to the Proteus is that you have two colors with the frames, which makes the visual experience much more fun and the Proteus is binaural beat capable and I don't believe the Sirius is. The Proteus is also programmable and it comes with 49 preprogrammed sessions.

Not trying to make a sale here as I only sell in Canada and I'm guessing that you are not from Canada. Just giving you my opinion, for what it's worth.

I emailed Mindplace about a year ago when I first got the Sirius to request this information, and I received no response.
    Sorry about that. Since then, Mindplace has made an effort to increase customer service - hence this forum and the Mindplace Support Site.

Hope this helps.

M.
    Attached Files Attached Files

HI Marisa,

First off let me say this type of one-to-one interaction on a support forum more than makes up for my email not being responded to last year. This is great and I appreciate your thoughtful reply with an educated guess answering my question. That's the info I was looking for!

One thing really caught me off guard though:

The reason I've suggested you upgrading to the Proteus is that you have two colors with the frames, which makes the visual experience much more fun and the Proteus is binaural beat capable and I don't believe the Sirius is. The Proteus is also programmable and it comes with 49 preprogrammed sessions.

Ah! What??? I thought all sound and light machines utilized binaural beat technology... I thought that's what I"m "hearing" via the headphones. I looked on your websites comparison chart (http://www.ayrmetes.com/Mind_Product...mparison.htm#7) and it does indeed say that the Proteus uses binaural beats but the Sirius does not. If that's the case, then... I am confused, because I thought this was the driving technology of the device.

The aforementioned website states that binaural beats are "an additional entrainment feature," suggesting to me that the combination of sound and lights without binaural beats is enough for brainwave entrainment. Is that true? I always thought of this as a one to one relationship. Truth be told then, based on this, I was always a bit puzzled with the ptactical reason for the lights, thinking the real action was taking place with the binaural beats being pumped in through my earphones.

BTW I have white light LED glasses, and they are awesome. I wish there was a way to try out different glasses before buying!

Thanks again for your response
    -Ben

Cool Re: mapping sessions to brain waves

Hey guess what! I stumbled onto the information I was looking for:

http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Sirius.htm
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Down...requencies.pdf

-B

Blog Entries

Hey guess what! I stumbled onto the information I was looking for:

http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Sirius.htm
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Down...requencies.pdf

-B
    I guess I need to visit the support site more often. Thanks for posting this!

M.

Blog Entries

HI Marisa,

First off let me say this type of one-to-one interaction on a support forum more than makes up for my email not being responded to last year. This is great and I appreciate your thoughtful reply with an educated guess answering my question. That's the info I was looking for!
    Yay!

Ah! What??? I thought all sound and light machines utilized binaural beat technology... I thought that's what I"m "hearing" via the headphones. I looked on your websites comparison chart (http://www.ayrmetes.com/Mind_Product...mparison.htm#7) and it does indeed say that the Proteus uses binaural beats but the Sirius does not. If that's the case, then... I am confused, because I thought this was the driving technology of the device.

The aforementioned website states that binaural beats are "an additional entrainment feature," suggesting to me that the combination of sound and lights without binaural beats is enough for brainwave entrainment. Is that true? I always thought of this as a one to one relationship. Truth be told then, based on this, I was always a bit puzzled with the ptactical reason for the lights, thinking the real action was taking place with the binaural beats being pumped in through my earphones.
    The frequencies are generated by the pulsing of the lights as well as the sound. Of the two, visual stimulation is a more potent method of frequency delivery. Sound, though not as powerful, will also work - especially if binaural beats are employed.

"Each audio beat and light pulse is a specific frequency. Our minds think in terms of frequency. Brainwaves change frequencies based on neural activity within the brain, be it by hearing, touch, smell, vision and/or taste. ... Hearing and vision are considered favorable senses for affecting brainwaves safely." Source: Mindstates 2: An Introduction to Light and Sound Technology by Michael Landgraf. http://www.mindmachines.com/Relaxati...DOWNLOADS.html

BTW I have white light LED glasses, and they are awesome. I wish there was a way to try out different glasses before buying!
    There are lots of dealers in the U.S. (assuming that you are in the U.S.) and perhaps if there is one located near you, s/he will let you try some different colors.

M.

Thread Information