Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Addictions, The Brain and AVS

1. Default Re: Sex and Light Frames?

Dear Gordon, Marisa, ...

Thanks for the info. I was actually wondering recently about the brain-waves involved in love-making myself recently. Me and my friend Sara have even joked about the fact that you can have multi-user sessions with extra light-frames! I must be honest and say that, I have had some amazing "highs" on the Procyon.

I would also be interested in how light and sound compares to, say, drug and meditative states, in terms of well my brain really must be releasing massive amounts of serotonin during sessions because I sometimes get so high! I know AVE is similar to meditation in many ways, but there are such a range of light and sound combinations, it's hard to say exactly what state one has gone in to sometimes! When I borrowed out my machine and didnt get to use it for over a week, i noticed that I had the worst week in a very long time, but the weeks before that --with the machine--i was constantly "on top of the world."

It made me wonder, as good as the Procyon seems at helping one keep a consistently positive and focused state with regular usage...is there some kind of withdrawal effect?

Jamie
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelled Marisa properly

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sex and Light Frames?

Quote Originally Posted by indigoladuk View Post
    Dear Gordon, Marisa, ...

Thanks for the info. I was actually wondering recently about the brain-waves involved in love-making myself recently. Me and my friend Sara have even joked about the fact that you can have multi-user sessions with extra light-frames! I must be honest and say that, I have had some amazing "highs" on the Procyon.
    Nothing like getting tangled in wires.

I would also be interested in how light and sound compares to, say, drug and meditative states, in terms of well my brain really must be releasing massive amounts of serotonin during sessions because I sometimes get so high!
    I believe Serotonin is released in the Alpha group of frequencies, while the bodies natural opiates are released in the Delta range. Two different highs.

I know AVE is similar to meditation in many ways, but there are such a range of light and sound combinations, it's hard to say exactly what state one has gone in to sometimes! When I borrowed out my machine and didnt get to use it for over a week, i noticed that I had the worst week in a very long time, but the weeks before that --with the machine--i was constantly "on top of the world."

It made me wonder, as good as the Procyon seems at helping one keep a consistently positive and focused state with regular usage...is there some kind of withdrawal effect?
    It's an interesting question you bring up regarding machine withdrawal because it makes me think of a bunch of situations or causes that may make a person feel this way. One of them could be that the machine helped your brain function better in some way and you simply miss the effect, another is that your brain could have problems generating alpha waves on its own and needs more entrainment time. The third could tie into addiction and dopamine release, which doesn't really have anything to do with the AVS machine but it may tie into other things.

Back to entrainment: Until your brain learns how to get to the desired state on its own (which will happen through entrainment) the effects of the machine will wear off and the brain may resort to the old "default" state. You'll find that with time, the effects will last longer and you will even be able to access the desired state at will.

Keep in mind that what you think about also affects your brainwaves (and biochemistry) so if you want your brainwaves to remain in that "happy" place, you must also keeps your thoughts positive.

M.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelled Marisa properly...

3. Default Re: Sex and Light Frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    It's an interesting question you bring up regarding machine withdrawal because it makes me think of a bunch of situations or causes that may make a person feel this way. One of them could be that the machine helped your brain function better in some way and you simply miss the effect, another is that your brain could have problems generating alpha waves on its own and needs more entrainment time. The third could tie into addiction and dopamine release, which doesn't really have anything to do with the AVS machine but it may tie into other things.
    What sort of effects are there?
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

4. Default Re: Sex and Light Frames?

Dear Marisa,

In response to you're interesting reply, I know that I can easily produce alpha and theta being an experienced meditator. I can also see/feel the different qualities between various frequencies. However, I have mainly been using the machine for concentration and learning and having been diagnosed 'adhd', of course my challenge is sustaining not alpha or indeed any lower frequncies, but beta-gamma for sustained concentration. So I guess that was what my brain missed and why things seemed to get worse for me without the machine! hehe

Within a couple days of using a Hemi-Sync cd for adhd, I actually has the experience of walking down the road but not having my mp3 player with me. I remembere the tune, however, and felt my brain wake up--mainly in the frontal lobes. hence it doesn't seem to take long for the effects to anchor or for me to access the desired state without assistance, altho i sometimes forget the tune! lol

By constantly playing concentration freqs (music only) while learning and machine befoe and after learning, I believe I am over time anchoring my brain to trigger these frequencies during those specific periods?

Hope ur having a good christmas holiday,
    Hugs, Jamie
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelled Marisa properly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G-ice View Post
    What sort of effects are there?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. What sort of effects are there concerning what?

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Hi Jamie,

Dear Marisa,

In response to you're interesting reply, I know that I can easily produce alpha and theta being an experienced meditator. I can also see/feel the different qualities between various frequencies. However, I have mainly been using the machine for concentration and learning and having been diagnosed 'adhd', of course my challenge is sustaining not alpha or indeed any lower frequncies, but beta-gamma for sustained concentration. So I guess that was what my brain missed and why things seemed to get worse for me without the machine! hehe
    If you have ADHD, then your brain tends to stay in a theta state, which is why you have problems concentrating. You are on the right track using Beta based programs. SMR (12 - 15 Hz) is best for ADHD. If you do too much high Beta/Gamma, you run the risk of creating an anxious state. Short bursts of High Beta/Gamma are good in a program though.

Within a couple days of using a Hemi-Sync cd for adhd, I actually has the experience of walking down the road but not having my mp3 player with me. I remembere the tune, however, and felt my brain wake up--mainly in the frontal lobes. hence it doesn't seem to take long for the effects to anchor or for me to access the desired state without assistance, altho i sometimes forget the tune! lol
    That's excellent.

By constantly playing concentration freqs (music only) while learning and machine befoe and after learning, I believe I am over time anchoring my brain to trigger these frequencies during those specific periods?
    Music only? Your Hemi-Sync cd?

If you are referring to the Hemi sync cd, I have no idea what frequencies they target or how their cds are made so I can't really comment.

Can you over do it? Yes, if your program is geared for high Beta/Gamma - you can end up feeling anxious, restless, unsettled. SMR/Alpha are best for learning.

If you feel good after what you are doing, then I would say there is no problem. If you don't feel good, then cut back the session or try a session with a different group of frequencies such as SMR (low Beta).

Did that answer your question?

Hope ur having a good christmas holiday,
    Hugs, Jamie
    Having a great time! Playing some "Rock Band" with my neice and hanging out with my man and beasty dog that I should have named "Marley" after the dog in the movie!

M.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed the spelling of "Marisa"

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

7. Default Re: Sex and Light Frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question. What sort of effects are there concerning what?

M.

Regarding to the machine withdrawal effects, bien s?r.
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Addiction, AVS and the Brain

Quote Originally Posted by G-ice View Post
    Regarding to the machine withdrawal effects, bien s?r.
    As far as addictions go, a person can become addicted to anything. Just as some people become addicted to shopping, gambling, exercise or even health, it is possible that someone could become addicted to using an AVS machine. Using the machine does not cause addiction but a person prone to addictive behavior may find themselves "addicted" to anything that makes them feel good. I'm not even sure "addicted" is the right word as the word "desire" could also be what one feels about using the machine.

If there were to be any feelings associated with the AVS machine and withdrawal, it would be a desire to use the machine again because it makes you feel good. Other than that desire, there will be no physical symptoms of withdrawal like there would be with a substance such as alcohol where withdrawal can cause seizures, headaches, shakes and other related physical symptoms.

I have read (from quite a few sources) that the AVS machines can help people over come addictions because people who have addictions tend to not produce enough Alpha brain waves. AVS, EEG Neurofeedback and biofeedback are methods that help the person's brain learn how to produce more Alpha wave frequencies. These frequencies are associated with feeling good and satisfied, which usually underlies the reason for addiction in the first place. The range of frequencies associated to Alpha waves are also the frequencies associated with the production of serotonin, which is something that is also lacking in people with addictions.

There are some other biological/biochemical factors associated with addiction but I do not know if an AVS machine would have any direct impact on those. Perhaps indirectly - when you feel good, your brain produces biochemicals that continue this state, which in turn helps mood, which in turn influences your brain waves.

When you feel bad, other biological functions come into play. Dopamine triggers a drive toward seeking that which will make you feel better. The survival part of your brain also goes into over drive causing the person to seek relief. In addictions, the brain mistakes using the substance or engaging in a certain behavior with survival and that sets up an unconscious false belief that the person must engage in a particular activity or consume a particular substance or they will die. Since the belief is unconscious, until the person becomes aware of what is going on, they will feel driven to consume or act in the way that they believe will make them feel better.

As I mentioned earlier, the dynamics of the brain and addiction are quite interesting ... or so I think.

M.

9. Default Re: Addictions, The Brain and AVS

Dear Marisa

Thank you for the interesting explanation regards 'addiction'.

Regarding effects of high Beta/gamma, i find that it actually makes me feel very relaxed rather than anxious, although my usual programme tends to be Hemi-Sync alpha-high beta for ADHD with programme 11 on the Procyon (which is low to high Beta). I guess the alpha keeps me chilled.

However I do find that the use of Gamma can be a bit too much for me sometimes, but is certainly a very good choice if I feel tired or just woke up. It tends to wake me up quicker than alpha-beta! I use Alpha-Beta mostly, but Gamma for maths as Gamma is apparently better than Beta/alpha for math.

Best combination for study, including maths, I would say would be Alpha-Beta-Gamma, to add the relaxed serotonin feeling to one's state, but the Gamma recording (Kelly Howell, BrainSyncs 'High Focus' doesnt have alpha on it sadly).

Yes ADHD people tend to be stuck in theta in the frontal lobes especially, me included, but I have trained my self to various relaxation states through meditation. I also did diamond way and managed to achieve 'awakened mind' in record time (i.e. delta-theta-alpha-beta-gamma). I and other people did observe that i became less fidgity and relaxed, but I had no evidence of improvements in concentration etc. It is hard to say. Maybe i should do those meditations more, but I find the use of Procyon and Hemi-Sync a sure, reliable and easy way to get me ready for learning etc. I can feel my brain reach high beta and makes me feel awake and concentrated like a laser

Ummm...i have been wondering...when you play say a hemi-sync cd and select a programme which roughly matches, how does that compare to, say, using audio strobe or Procyon's binaurals which are of course synchronised to the lights?

If you have different frequencies of sound compared to light i guess both light and sound still add to the synchronisation of the brain, but you end up with a more complex set of frequencies right? In other words, having lights at one frequency and sound at another is like having a binaural cd with various frequencies simultaneously?

Glad your having a good time
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of "Marisa"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Addictions, The Brain and AVS

Ummm...i have been wondering...when you play say a hemi-sync cd and select a programme which roughly matches, how does that compare to, say, using audio strobe or Procyon's binaurals which are of course synchronised to the lights?
    It depends on what is on the hemi-sync cd, which program you choose or which Audio Strobe Cd you use. There really is no way to answer this question because what may work best for someone else, may not work best for you. The Procyon programs are written to target specific ranges of brainwaves to create a corresponding result. An Alpha based program will bring Alpha frequencies into a more dominant position where the user can experience some or all of the Alpha effects.

I can not speak for Audiostrobe as we do not create the cds, nor can I speak for Hemisync cds since we do not make those either. Because we do not make them, we do not know how they were made and/or what groups of frequencies or specific frequencies were used.

If you have different frequencies of sound compared to light i guess both light and sound still add to the synchronisation of the brain, but you end up with a more complex set of frequencies right? In other words, having lights at one frequency and sound at another is like having a binaural cd with various frequencies simultaneously?
    If your brain is exposed to more than one frequency (at a time) it will either create a binaural beat or it will align to one of the frequencies somewhere in the middle of the mess. If your lights are at one frequency and the sound is at another, your brain will probably choose one of the frequencies to align with or it may choose something in the middle. I do not believe that a binaural effect can be created this way.

M.

Thread Information