Thread: cannot connect computer to TS

Question cannot connect computer to TS

Hi,

I can't connect to ThoughtStream using the computer.

I'm using Thought Stream Interface version 1.1.8 with the white/gray serial cable connected to "PC". I place the sensors on my palm, turn on the TS, wait for it to start up, then I click Session->Start. After 20 seconds I get this message: "Serial port timeout - No data detected on serial port . Session Stopped !!".

My guess is that the white/gray cable is bad, or the TS unit has a problem. I successfully updated the software on Proteus from 2.3 to 2.4, using the black serial cable on the same port (com1).

Any suggestions?

Is it true that the black and white cables are different? If yes, why?

Thank you,
    Alex

Blog Entries

Default Re: cannot connect computer to TS

Hi Alex!

The cables are different because they send data in opposite directions. The black one for the proteus sends data from the PC to the Proteus, and the Grey one sends data from the Thoughtstream to the PC.

Does your PC have an actual serial port (9pin connector) or are you using a USB->Serial adaptor? If you're using an adaptor, please read this:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...hread.php?t=37

If not, are you certain that the thoughtstream software is set up to use the proper port? You said that the port was COM1 for the Proteus - are you using the same port for the TS? Just make sure that the software is set to use the proper port.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The cables are different because they send data in opposite directions. The black one for the proteus sends data from the PC to the Proteus, and the Grey one sends data from the Thoughtstream to the PC.
    That makes sense.

Does your PC have an actual serial port (9pin connector) or are you using a USB->Serial adaptor? If you're using an adaptor, please read this:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...hread.php?t=37
    It's a plain serial port. No USB-Serial adaptor.

If not, are you certain that the thoughtstream software is set up to use the proper port? You said that the port was COM1 for the Proteus - are you using the same port for the TS? Just make sure that the software is set to use the proper port.
    With the Thought Stream Interface I went to Serial Port -> Set Comm Port -> COM1 -> OK, tried start session, the same message after 20 seconds.

Maybe that com port has a problem receiving data. I'll try on another computer..

Alex

Blog Entries

Did you end up trying it on another PC?
    Last edited by Andy; 10-12-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Smile Re: cannot connect computer to TS

Quote Originally Posted by aleb View Post
    I'll check the TS unit on another computer, maybe the port of my computer is broken.
    I just checked my Thoughtstream unit on another computer and it worked great.

Thank you for all your help!
    Alex

Thread Information