Thread: Resetting biological clock

Default Resetting biological clock

I'm sorry, if this isn't the right place to put this thread, but...

I'm working in shifts and I'm wondering if there are any specific sessions in Procyon to help to readjust to body rhytms and avoid sleep and alertness problems. Does anybody have experiences on that?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Resetting biological clock

Quote Originally Posted by taiko View Post
    I'm sorry, if this isn't the right place to put this thread, but...

I'm working in shifts and I'm wondering if there are any specific sessions in Procyon to help to readjust to body rhythms and avoid sleep and alertness problems. Does anybody have experiences on that?
    There is a couple of things that you can try with the Procyon that ought to help.

Re: Alertness during night shift
    Somewhere between 3:00am and 4:00 am is the time when the body is most vulnerable to drowsiness. It is usually around this time that alertness takes a coffee break and accidents happen. If possible, take a coffee break around this time and put the Procyon on a Theta program. Try Program 2 or 41. These are 15 minute programs. You can also try Program 5.

If you have time, like you have an hour lunch break, try Program 16 or 17 - they are a bit longer but they should leave you feeling refreshed and awake.

Re: Falling asleep when you get home.
    Serotonin turns into Melatonin when it gets dark. Since you are getting home when the sun is coming up, it's important that you either sleep in a darkened room or wear those funky eye shade things. Use one of the night voyage programs: P 23 - 27 (the major difference between these programs is the time limit). These are Theta/Delta programs

Re: Waking up
    If you feel groggy when you wake up and want to do a session, try P5, 6, or 28. These are short 10 minute programs that focus on SMR & Beta.

Could you please report back and let me know how these programs work for you? If they work for you ... and which ones you found worked best for what.

M.

There is a couple of things that you can try with the Procyon that ought to help.

Re: Alertness during night shift
    Somewhere between 3:00am and 4:00 am is the time when the body is most vulnerable to drowsiness. It is usually around this time that alertness takes a coffee break and accidents happen. If possible, take a coffee break around this time and put the Procyon on a Theta program. Try Program 2 or 41. These are 15 minute programs. You can also try Program 5.

If you have time, like you have an hour lunch break, try Program 16 or 17 - they are a bit longer but they should leave you feeling refreshed and awake.
    Hmm, as I'm the shift manager, I'm affraid I can't use Procyon during the shift. But maybe it would be interresting to see the reaction of my colleagues. :-) Is "audio only" also an option for a session during the shift?
    Re: Falling asleep when you get home.
    Serotonin turns into Melatonin when it gets dark. Since you are getting home when the sun is coming up, it's important that you either sleep in a darkened room or wear those funky eye shade things. Use one of the night voyage programs: P 23 - 27 (the major difference between these programs is the time limit). These are Theta/Delta programs

Re: Waking up
    If you feel groggy when you wake up and want to do a session, try P5, 6, or 28. These are short 10 minute programs that focus on SMR & Beta.

Could you please report back and let me know how these programs work for you? If they work for you ... and which ones you found worked best for what.

I will definitely try these "before/after sleep" sessions and I will let you know. As an addition, can you maybe indicate some session, which can be used as kind of "sleep replacement?
    M.
    Last edited by taiko; 11-10-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Hmm, as I'm the shift manager, I'm affraid I can't use Procyon during the shift. But maybe it would be interresting to see the reaction of my colleagues. :-) Is "audio only" also an option for a session during the shift?
    I don't think it would be as effective however, having said that, I often use only the audio in my Procyon while working at my desk. This can help improve concentration. Any of the "energy" program would work well (P28 - 33).

I will definitely try these "before/after sleep" sessions and I will let you know. As an addition, can you maybe indicate some session, which can be used as kind of "sleep replacement?
    Sleep replacement would be a program like 16, 17, 34 to 38.

M.

Thread Information