Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Com Port

1. Default Re: Problems with Com Port

My computer is running Windows 2000, not that that makes a difference I don't thnk.

Default Re: Problems with Com Port

I always had problems getting my USB devices working under Win2000. I used to run a Win98 partition (dual boot) to get around this. Since going to WinXP, no problems.

To get Win2000 USB ports to work (sometimes) I think I needed to make sure I was using USB 1.0 drivers and a slow transfer speed.

Also, you might try uninstalling the software completely again, then reinstall it, and then follow Andy's steps. You should not get any beeps when you plug in the procyon, just the found new hardware caption. Takes a while for my PC to recongnise this (~3 minutes, thought it had hung up).

Hope you find a fix for this. I'm sure some computer gurus will chime in.

Cheers,
    TomC
    Last edited by TomC; 11-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indigoladuk View Post
    My computer is running Windows 2000, not that that makes a difference I don't thnk.
    Probably it does.

Try going into device manager, find the USB com port and do a driver update or reinstall. Then follow from Step #7. If that doesn't work then it may not be compatible with Win2k.

-Andy.

I don't recall anything special about the process, but I have a laptop and a desktop running W2K and chatting quite happily with the Procyon, old and new editor versions, so it's definitely possible.

If troubles persist, I'll have a decent look at what files are where on the W2K machines and report back.

Cheers,
    Craig

5. Default Re: Problems with Com Port

Andy

I will try your new suggestions, thank you.

CraigT

Thank you for offering to check W2K for me, very kind of you.

I just hope I can get Procyon to work on my computer, I am using it for my ADHD and needs some programmes for beta-gamma. I was suggested that beta-gamma prog's on the Procyon might be the entertainment sessions, they are high freq but rather rushy i find and not very chilled! lol

What I need to create is a session (based on Olmstead, 2000, research with ADHD) that moves from 14hz and ends on 42hz, using red, amber light (for mental application). This programme would be intended to help me with maths, apparently Gamma is good for that.

Praying I can get the Procyon editor up n running tonight!

Jamie

Decided to have a look at the W2K laptop this morning anyway.

The SiLab drivers are in the folder Drivers\SilabDrivers, which suggests that I deliberately unzipped them from the CP2102.exe self-extracting zip file to that location, as opposed to them putting themselves there during an automated installation.

This reminds me that the latest (2.2) Editor/Firmware download doesn't include the drivers, so if that's what you're installing from, these have to come from an earlier download or installation disk.

I'm assuming you've never got to the point where the devices appear in Device Manager, so the big question is, "Do you have a SiLabs Driver folder somewhere?" and if not, "Do you have a CP2102.exe file?". If not, uninstall everything again, go back to an older setup, such as the installation disk that came with the Procyon, do the installation from there, and once all is working, do the installation from the latest download.

Just for the record, the moment that installs tend to go bad, on any OS, and I've done it more times than I care to think about, is when you plug in the Procyon before the drivers are available on the machine. It just seems natural to want to get that baby plugged in!

Cheers,
    Craig

7. Default Re: Problems with Com Port

CraigT

But that's it... I didn't have an installation Cd with the Procyon.

James

No problem... go here http://mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and grab the 2.1.0 software and install that. Then install the latest.

Cheers,
    Craig

9. Default Re: Problems with Com Port

Dear Andy,

It's been a while. I've been using my Procyon with Hemi-Sync and have found that mindblowing, and have been using my ADHD cds such as gamma and beta with relevant light settings.

Would be nice to see if I can finally get the editor going however as there are certain light effects I prefer and I could make more suitable lightshows for my ADHD cds.

... I am not very good with technical stuff. I have followed your suggestion:-

"Try going into device manager, find the USB com port and do a driver update or reinstall"

I am at the device manager and can click on the port, but I don't understand what u mean about updating or reinstalling the driver? I know this isn't a PC advice site, but still if you could be more specific for a PC shy person like myself!!

Wishes, Jamie

p.s. even if I can't get the driver working, I will be staying with my Procyon, it's awesome

10. Default Re: Problems with Com Port

Andy,

I did a driver update, but it said it couldn't find a "better match".

Hmmm

Thread Information